Coronavirus: Help Needed for Rapidly Deployable Ventilators

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
COVID-19 is about to overwhelm our nation's supply of ventilators and we may need a war-like manufacturing effort to address the coming demand.

I've been trying to figure out how my company can help and have come across a few groups trying to respond.

This one was just set up by residents of Massachusetts General Hospital so I wanted to share since this board is full of fellow engineering grads whose companies may be able to help.

https://www.coventchallenge.com/

Description: Founded by residents at Massachusetts General Hospital, the CoVent-19 Challenge will be a completely virtual open moonshot competition hosted on Slack to develop a rapidly deployable mechanical ventilation solution.

More details to come soon. We appreciate all of the advice and buzz that we are hearing from all parts of our global community.

This is rapidly developing so for now, anyone interested can enter your email address at the link above for updates.

I'll try to keep this updated, but please share any other areas where we can help.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
COVID-19 is about to overwhelm our nation's supply of ventilators and we may need a war-like manufacturing effort to address the coming demand.

I've been trying to figure out how my company can help and have come across a few groups trying to respond.

This one was just set up by residents of Massachusetts General Hospital so I wanted to share since this board is full of fellow engineering grads whose companies may be able to help.

https://www.coventchallenge.com/

I'll try to keep this updated, but please share any other areas where we can help.
I read somewhere that perhaps in less severely demanding patients that CPAP (and the other device similar that does both inhale and exhale modes - I forget the name) might be enough.

I have obviously no knowledge of this but with the number of people who have tried the machines and decided not to use them nightly, perhaps there are tens of thousands or more of these machines in people's homes that they'd be happy to donate if they could be sanitized, checked and used to help in this crisis.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I read somewhere that perhaps in less severely demanding patients that CPAP (and the other device similar that does both inhale and exhale modes - I forget the name) might be enough.

I have obviously no knowledge of this but with the number of people who have tried the machines and decided not to use them nightly, perhaps there are tens of thousands or more of these machines in people's homes that they'd be happy to donate if they could be sanitized, checked and used to help in this crisis.

Bingo. That is being discussed as one of the options to increase availability.

If the number of victims surges beyond that capacity, they say, they may try novel approaches such as having two patients on one ventilator. Tubing for ventilators, which is usually thrown out, could be sanitized and reused. Other types of hospital equipment, such as those used for sleep apnea, could be repurposed as makeshift ventilators. Only if those strategies fail and the sick continue to exceed capacity would rationing protocols be put into place

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/15/coronavirus-rationing-us/

Reactions: MeanDean

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is where I hope we put effort. I think we can more effectively increase our limit of medical care than we can completely shut down society. I don’t have any way to help with this but I’m hopeful it will work.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is where I hope we put effort. I think we can more effectively increase our limit of medical care than we can completely shut down society. I don’t have any way to help with this but I’m hopeful it will work.

Definitely need to do that, and a good start would be in removing the ridiculous Certificate of Need barriers that are intended to limit supply (and therefore, competition).

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It’s not as mutually exclusive of a choice as you’re making it here.

1.) Limit needless socializing, of which most of society is still participating is a must. 2.) So is society figuring out how to deal with the looming medical constraints we’re facing, of which 1.) is the most effective and efficient way, but will likely not be able to be the only way.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

I have an APAP (which I believe doubles as a CPAP) that I don't use. Any idea where I could donate this to someone who could use it?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa

I am sure there are. I had two CPAP machines in a garage, which I inherited from my mom and brother. The machines unfortunately were lost when I contracted to have the stuff in the garage moved, and the movers either stole or destroyed most of the stuff instead of moving it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Don't forget you need trained people to care for people in the ICU. That has been an issue as well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It’s not as mutually exclusive of a choice as you’re making it here.

1.) Limit needless socializing, of which most of society is still participating is a must. 2.) So is society figuring out how to deal with the looming medical constraints we’re facing, of which 1.) is the most effective and efficient way, but will likely not be able to be the only way.

Yep. This is the whole reason to reduce interactions, flatten the curve - to buy time.

Time to set up additional beds. Time to build more ventilators. Time to train more nurses. Time to make more masks. Time to make and do more tests. Time to develop a vaccine.

Turn a flash flood into a slow riser. Still a flood, but much less destructive.

• Winner
Reactions: WhoISthis

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw a tweet this morning with a story from a company that makes ventilators that they have the ability to ramp up capacity 5 fold. It also said that no one has contacted them with an order, so there's that, but still good news.

Can they do it without having orders placed? At worst they can sell them later. I'd think proactivity would be a plus.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Saw a tweet this morning with a story from a company that makes ventilators that they have the ability to ramp up capacity 5 fold. It also said that no one has contacted them with an order, so there's that, but still good news.

JFC

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can they do it without having orders placed? At worst they can sell them later. I'd think proactivity would be a plus.

It's pretty frustrating both ways. It's a safe bet they'll be able to sell them and we're dropping trillions for thirty minutes of stock market denial but not placing ventilator orders.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Surprised knowing what's going on that they wouldn't do that anyways.

Help Support Us

Become a patron