Contract details for Manning, Gasser released

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Neat, but again, which came first? It is possible that it was the desire/need to fill out the staff with a lower assistant budget, hence making Campbell "reportedly" our #1 choice.
No it's not possible, idiotic statement. If that was the case, they would've hired bob Stitt or someone from 1AA that makes half what Campbell made at Toledo.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I think your AD wanted Campbell because he was the best option that might be interested in the job. Nothing more, nothing less. This money theory is sweet and all that, but irrevelent with Campbells hire.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Neat, but again, which came first? It is possible that it was the desire/need to fill out the staff with a lower assistant budget, hence making Campbell "reportedly" our #1 choice.
I do think Campbell was legitimately JP's first choice. He's got the religious family man going on that JP drooled over when he hired Prohm.

Hopefully my concern is completely unwarranted but the staff thus far, on paper, is terrible as a whole. I think we have 2 guys on staff with any power 5 experience in Golesh and Ayeni? So we're asking a bunch of guys who haven't been at the highest level to go toe to toe with Bob Stoops/Gary Patterson/Art Briles/Mike Gundy/Bill Snyder and to a lesser extent Dana Holgorsen and Kliff Kingsbury who have proven themselves at the highest level?

Like I was saying before...I don't have a problem at all with the Campbell hire. I do have some concern when we're taking the "budget" route on everything and the AD is the first person who jumps up and says, "look how much I've increased the budget" and then turns around and asks for more to hire a staff of no-namers. A couple no-namers? No problem. An entire staff of them? That's another story.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
There is the POWER FIVE ELITEteams and then there is the rest of the Power Five teams. I'm sorry but ISU isn't one of the BIG BOYS. I have heard over and over how if Campbell wins 7-8 wins for 2-3 years he will be naming his job with an elite program. There is/was not an infinite pool of coaches and assistants with all the criteria I have read on this board who want to coach at ISU. Now, you hired a coach with successful D 1 head coaching experience and he hired a staff full of guys he trusts. I don't see the issue. Football is football. 4-2-5 means the same in Power Five football and midget football.

There are no no-namers on this staff. I looked they all have names. Sorry:rolleyes:

Last edited:

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
Some posters on here are just the worst and look for the bad to happen all the time. They constantly want to run down the school the players the AD the refs and other posters. Makes it hard to be on here sometimes. Campbell is a great hire. USA today gave the hire an A. Everyone says it was a great hire. The only way Campbell was going to come was with his own guys. Get over it stop complaining. No one knows if it will or won't work. Settle down and enjoy the ride. The current football season is still going and people are already ******** about next year. With a top 5 hardest schedule every year this job is a difficult one. Kirk has played a top 5 team 10 times in his entire coaching career at Iowa. ISU had 5 this year. Let that sink in.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
There is the POWER FIVE ELITEteams and then there is the rest of the Power Five teams. I'm sorry but ISU isn't one of the BIG BOYS. I have heard over and over how if Campbell wins 7-8 wins for 2-3 years he will be naming his job with an elite program. There is/was not an infinite pool of coaches and assistants with all the criteria I have read on this board who want to coach at ISU. Now, you hired a coach with successful D 1 head coaching experience and he hired a staff full of guys he trusts. I don't see the issue. Football is football. 4-2-5 means the same in Power Five football and midget football.

There are no no-namers on this staff. I looked they all have names. Sorry:rolleyes:

Stahp

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
I think the Toledo staff was 2-0 against P5 teams last year. My only worry is we have too much success and we lose the whole staff and a year of recruits to Notre Dame, Ohio State or a similar school. If that happens it means we had a really amazing couple of years so I'll take it and maybe we get lucky and Campbell does to ISU what Frye did to Iowa. To criticize the assts we are hiring now seems a little silly especially after the Mangino experience.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I have no problems with the staff hire, but I just can't agree with "football is football." Across every change of level, some coaches fail when they go up a level. A small high school coach goes to a big high school and fails. A college coach goes to the NFL and fails. I'm not saying that will happen here, I think we landed a great coach in Campbell and the best hire we could get, but we all have to wait and see.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
$2,177,635

That's what our assistant coaching budget was last year, according to USA today.

Last edited:

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
This is PURE SPECULATION but if JP gave Campbell the budget for assistants that its looking like he did JP's job should be on the line. I don't mind going cheap on a head coach if you give him a great budget to hire assistants to offset some of the inexperience but if you go cheap on both sides of the equation and it works out like Chizik hiring all his buddies did then it's time for JP to go (and I say that as one of his biggest supporters previously).

Want to compete for good coaches? Pay up.

$4+ million dollar buyout for Paul Rhoads may be a limiting factor for the next year or two but if they have success I'm sure ISU will pony up the cash.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Why do people expect entry level guys to get paid as much as the proven good assistants? You know it's possible to give raises right?

hinschy1

Dec 10, 2009
Campbell is hiring the guys he wants. We are paying them fair market value. Market value for MAC coaches getting promoted to Power 5 schools is going to be low. If and when they prove they are worth more I believe Jamie will give them a raise. Paying them little their first year is a no brainer. Now if Manning turns out to be the great football mind Campbell is calling him we better not see him hired away for $400k. That's when you can be upset with what we are paying them. Hoiberg's first contract was for $800k because that's what he was worth. He making 2.6 mil when he left, I believe. The money will be there when they prove they deserve it.

I like that we are not putting ourselves in the same position Kansas did with Charlie Weis.

Last edited: