Contract details for Manning, Gasser released

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Seems pretty low to me. I'm sure a lot more than they were making, but only 250k for an OC?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Seems pretty low to me. I'm sure a lot more than they were making, but only 250k for an OC?

Remember he is a first time OC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OC's salary is low in order to bump up the salary for the DC. Usually the AD says coach you have $XX to spend on assistants divide it up as you see fit.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale

Considering he was originally happy just to get bumped up to P5 positions coach level, I'm sure he's more than happy with this. Also, if these guys have success at ISU they will be able to write their own checks.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Remember he is a first time OC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OC's salary is low in order to bump up the salary for the DC. Usually the AD says coach you have $XX to spend on assistants divide it up as you see fit.

Exactly - no reason to pay top dollar to an unproven OC. Just makes it easy to bump his salary when he performs well. Also, I definitely think that is the way it works - JP tells CMC how much he can hand out and CMC takes it from there.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This is PURE SPECULATION but if JP gave Campbell the budget for assistants that its looking like he did JP's job should be on the line. I don't mind going cheap on a head coach if you give him a great budget to hire assistants to offset some of the inexperience but if you go cheap on both sides of the equation and it works out like Chizik hiring all his buddies did then it's time for JP to go (and I say that as one of his biggest supporters previously).

Want to compete for good coaches? Pay up.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
This is PURE SPECULATION but if JP gave Campbell the budget for assistants that its looking like he did JP's job should be on the line. I don't mind going cheap on a head coach if you give him a great budget to hire assistants to offset some of the inexperience but if you go cheap on both sides of the equation and it works out like Chizik hiring all his buddies did then it's time for JP to go (and I say that as one of his biggest supporters previously).

It's looking like Campbell doesn't really want to go outside of his realm very much right now. And we all know how the Mangino project worked out. Money doesn't always equal results. I'm willing to wait and see before calling for JP's head.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI

Yeah this post is asinine. Campbell didn't need a huge assistant's salary pool. He is hiring "his" guys. These assistants are getting big salary bumps from their previous positions, so I'm sure they are cool with it. It's not like CMC is out trying to get the hottest assistant coaches in the country who would require massive salaries, he's getting his guys and paying them at the rates their experience and positions would dictate. Paying OC Manning $500k a year instead of $250k doesn't make it a better hire just because he's paid more, the value of the hire is the fact that that's the guy CMC wanted running the offense after Candle got the Toledo job.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
How much do first time/never had experience offensive coordinators make? Seems far and well within market value.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah this post is asinine. Campbell didn't need a huge assistant's salary pool. He is hiring "his" guys. These assistants are getting big salary bumps from their previous positions, so I'm sure they are cool with it. It's not like CMC is out trying to get the hottest assistant coaches in the country who would require massive salaries, he's getting his guys and paying them at the rates their experience and positions would dictate. Paying OC Manning $500k a year instead of $250k doesn't make it a better hire just because he's paid more, the value of the hire is the fact that that's the guy CMC wanted running the offense after Candle got the Toledo job.

Exactly. Manning was making $90,000 as a MAC position coach a month ago.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Perhaps Campbell wanted to put extra money into the recruiting budget.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Maybe, maybe not.

You clearly missed the poster's thought. He is not saying pay these guys more, he is saying why are we not going and getting guys that require more.

I am guessing Campbell bringing his cheaper assistants was planned, and likely a positive to JP, but if so, that doesn't mean it is the best way to go. Was a larger budget available so Campbell could go get a different type of staff, or is Campbell going this way because it is the best way to build JP's lower budget staff? It is a valid question given JP. It is very reasonable to argue he should have been "out trying to get the hottest assistant coaches in the country who would require massive salaries", but did not have the funds available for that. As it is he did a solid job, but there is a decent truth to "you get what you pay for".

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Maybe, maybe not.

You clearly missed the poster's thought. I am guessing Campbell bringing his cheaper assistants was planned, and likely a positive to JP, but if so, that doesn't mean it is the best way to go. Was a larger budget available so Campbell could go get a different type of staff, or is Campbell going this way because it is the best way to build JP's lower budget staff? It is a valid question given JP. It is very reasonable to argue he should have been "out trying to get the hottest assistant coaches in the country who would require massive salaries", but did not have the funds available for that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guarantee that Campbell would bring the people he did no matter what the budget was for assistants. He has the guys he trusts and they all trust him. I don't know the AD or anything about him, but get off his *** on this one. If the AD would of set criteria for hiring his assistants then Campbell would still be coaching Toledo.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guarantee that Campbell would bring the people he did no matter what the budget was for assistants. He has the guys he trusts and they all trust him. I don't know the AD or anything about him, but get off his *** on this one. If the AD would of set criteria for hiring his assistants then Campbell would still be coaching Toledo.
Slow down, chief.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Slow down, chief.

Used the oxygen for acouple minutes so heart is now beating at normal old man rate. But, Campbell would not be here unless most of these guys were willing to come with him. The budget had NOTHING to do with the assistants hired.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Used the oxygen for acouple minutes so heart is now beating at normal old man rate. But, Campbell would not be here unless most of these guys were willing to come with him. The budget had NOTHING to do with the assistants hired.
And this $taffing plan was likely an attractive aspect of Campbell to JP. See how that works?
You may recall I just posted that Campbell bringing his cheaper assistants was likely as planned, and likely a positive to JP, but if so, that doesn't mean it is the best way to go.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
And this $taffing plan was likely an attractive aspect of Campbell to JP. See how that works?
You may recall I just posted that Campbell bringing his cheaper assistants was likely as planned, and likely a positive to JP, but if so, that doesn't mean it is the best way to go.

True maybe or maybe not best way to go, but if you wanted Campbell the only way it was going to happen.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
True maybe or maybe not best way to go, but if you wanted Campbell the only way it was going to happen.
Neat, but again, which came first? It is possible that it was the desire/need to fill out the staff with a lower assistant budget, hence making Campbell "reportedly" our #1 choice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron