COLUMN: For his legacy, Allen Lazard needs to play in a bowl game

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Man, what an impressive list of career stats, only the Blythe TD total appears out of reach. I do hope Lazard gets to play in postseason and even better if the W/L record is notably higher than we think is realistic.

Hoping we can have a full year of 1 starting-QB and that it helps Lazard thrive even more (related to his note about repetition and consistency).

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A game-winning TD grab to top off 200+ yards receiving against Oklahoma should seal that legacy.
With the large bodies we have to use on the field this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lazard, Butler, or Jones go for 200. They will have a hard time deciding who needs the best cover guys when we spread them out with Lazard, Butler, Allen, and the JUCO who's name is escaping me at the time. Throw in Ryen and Jones, Park has an orchestra to direct.

Reactions: CYCLNST8 and t-noah

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not the main focus of the column, but Brackins parallel is a decent one. Still blows my mind McD couldn't ride Brackins' 42-point game to a W.

Hoping A.L. has a few big single-game performances this season and ISU wins all of them.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's so hard for one player to turn a football program around unless you're an elite quarterback. And even then you need a decent team and good coaching for him to make a difference.

I want a bowl win as much as anyone, but Allen's legacy isn't going to be determined by it. He came here when the team was bad and stuck with it, compiling numerous receiving records. He is an ISU fan and has proven it throughout his career. Sometimes great players get stuck on bad teams.

I'm hoping that his legacy is proving to future recruits that ISU is a solid destination that is not to be overlooked. I hope in 5-10 years, we can look at Allen's legacy as the guy that spring-boarded ISU into much better years.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's so hard for one player to turn a football program around unless you're an elite quarterback. And even then you need a decent team and good coaching for him to make a difference.

I want a bowl win as much as anyone, but Allen's legacy isn't going to be determined by it. He came here when the team was bad and stuck with it, compiling numerous receiving records. He is an ISU fan and has proven it throughout his career. Sometimes great players get stuck on bad teams.

I'm hoping that his legacy is proving to future recruits that ISU is a solid destination that is not to be overlooked. I hope in 5-10 years, we can look at Allen's legacy as the guy that spring-boarded ISU into much better years.

You beat me to it. Football isn't like basketball, where one guy can turn around an entire program. Too many variables that are beyond his controI. I don't believe a bowl appearance or win would do anything to change Lazard's legacy. I want a bowl trip for him and the other seniors. They deserve to leave Ames with that much. But it's just as likely that the program doesn't take that big step forward until 2018. And if that happens, we'll remember Lazard as an all time great who helped lay the foundation for a bright future. Nothing wrong with that. To me, he's already cemented his legacy as the best wide receiver to ever play for ISU.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You beat me to it. Football isn't like basketball, where one guy can turn around an entire program. Too many variables that are beyond his controI. I don't believe a bowl appearance or win would do anything to change Lazard's legacy. I want a bowl trip for him and the other seniors. They deserve to leave Ames with that much. But it's just as likely that the program doesn't take that big step forward until 2018. And if that happens, we'll remember Lazard as an all time great who helped lay the foundation for a bright future. Nothing wrong with that. To me, he's already cemented his legacy as the best wide receiver to ever play for ISU.

Just too add to your already great point, I think it makes his legacy even greater. His selflessness is deafening choosing a school over perennial powers like Notre Dame. I will always remember Allen Lazard as the greatest receiver to play for ISU. Much like I remember Ejim as a retired jersey in Hilton. They did so much more than play a sport for ISU.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the biggest impediment to Lazard getting his catches is Jones getting his catches and/or Allen becoming a significant part of the offense.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Going into the 2014 season, I never would have guessed we'd win less than 10 games over the next 3 years. We'd been to bowl games 3 of the last 4. Rhoads looked like a legacy kind of coach too. I give kudos for AL for coming here, and the tanking of the football program had nothing to do with him. Unfortunately, down the road when we think of AL, we will also think of awful ISU teams. A 7+ win season to end his senior year would certainly help, though. He deserved a hell of a lot better than he got.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It all hinges on the line play. Good line play and this team will win some games.

I agree Line play both offense and defense either wins games or loses games......Time to start out this season with wins over the university of nothing important and the hoks of course...

Well....Actually its way beyond time for that IMHO.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
As bad as I feel for Lazard, I feel worse for myself. I've waited for an incredible season far longer than he has... :/

Reading this made me more angry than it did sad. I hope for spectacular things again this season.

Reactions: cyfan21

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just too add to your already great point, I think it makes his legacy even greater. His selflessness is deafening choosing a school over perennial powers like Notre Dame. I will always remember Allen Lazard as the greatest receiver to play for ISU. Much like I remember Ejim as a retired jersey in Hilton. They did so much more than play a sport for ISU.

Totally agree with this statement. I think even more of Lazard for sticking with ISU for 4 years while never making a bowl game. He is a true Cyclone. I do hope like crazy he does get to a bowl this year though.

But Lazard does NOT have to win a bowl to cement his legacy at ISU. He will do that regardless. One player cannot make enough impact to get a team to bowl games, so it's certainly not his fault he hasn't made it to one.

• Funny
Reactions: M3MEPLEASE

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Hopefully not just a bottom-of-the-barrel 6-6 bowl, but a legit Big 12 bowl against another P5 opponent... which will probably require 7 or 8 wins.

This won't be popular and it's a selfish comment, but I hope it is Toledo in the Popeyes Bahama Bowl. That would be a game that Would have so many side moments for me and also who could hate the Bahamas.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I think the biggest impediment to Lazard getting his catches is Jones getting his catches and/or Allen becoming a significant part of the offense.

This would be awesome because that means we are probably averaging about 38 per game.

Reactions: Cycsk

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I agree with some others. A bowl game would be great, but his legacy is set very high.

What perennial winners is he going to get lost amongst from ISU?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I echo previous statements that team success/lack thereof shouldn't taint his accomplishments.

Even if this season is less than .500 and he still produces on pace he has, his contribution will become even more valued after the W-L detail fades into the background somewhat.

It'd be at least extra cake-icing for him if he could play on a winning team his final season, especially considering his commitment to ISU and how he could've chosen another program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron