Cole out for season ACL

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not going to celebrate this injury like some of you are. We should know first hand how injuries to key players really sucks. I'd rather they lose with a healthy roster but they were going to stink this year regardless. Lickliter is not Alford and I do think he's a good coach that will eventually turn it around there and do it the right way. I doubt he had any idea just how bad Alford left the program though and it's going to take them time just like it's going to take us too after all the LE and WM fallouts.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Anyone hear Dolph the other day on KXNO somehow spinning it that if Iowa could pull off the upset of Indiana (which he claimed is a 50/50 chance since it's a home game??!?!?) then that could catipult them into having a chance at Wisconsin?? He was also babbling on about somehow they could end up fighting for 5th-7th in the conference!! I think he had started his New Year's party early.

I heard him on Cotlar the other morning. Holy cow. Someone must have spiked the kool-aid, and he must have drank the whole vat. I've never heard such babbling lunacy on the radio EVER. According to him, Lick is going to have the team turned around by next year and they will probably be ranked in the top 10 going into 2010.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
I heard him on Cotlar the other morning. Holy cow. Someone must have spiked the kool-aid, and he must have drank the whole vat. I've never heard such babbling lunacy on the radio EVER. According to him, Lick is going to have the team turned around by next year and they will probably be ranked in the top 10 going into 2010.
And people wonder why the hawks have so much hatred toward them?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I feel awful for them, I really do. I hate seeing kids go down.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
And people wonder why the hawks have so much hatred toward them?

*Gasp* The Iowa radio broadcaster was speaking positively of the Hawks??? And *double gasp* predicted that they may be significantly improved in 3 years?

Wait, what are your predictions of where Iowa State will be in 2010 in either football or basketball? Is it ridiculous to assume that they'll be significantly improved by then? Because I think they will be.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
*Gasp* The Iowa radio broadcaster was speaking positively of the Hawks??? And *double gasp* predicted that they may be significantly improved in 3 years?

Wait, what are your predictions of where Iowa State will be in 2010 in either football or basketball? Is it ridiculous to assume that they'll be significantly improved by then? Because I think they will be.

I think they'll be improved, but I think outside of a few homers I don't think anybody thinks we'll be a top 10 team.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I think they'll be improved, but I think outside of a few homers I don't think anybody thinks we'll be a top 10 team.

No. That's a bold prediction. Maybe top 25 - but even that would be expecting a lot. There's a lot to improve upon, and in 2010, the team will be very young unless there are some JUCO tranfers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That's what they were making fun of. If you agree with it, why do you feel the need to jump on and defend Dolph? It's a ridiculous statement he made.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
That's what they were making fun of. If you agree with it, why do you feel the need to jump on and defend Dolph? It's a ridiculous statement he made.

I'm not defending his prediction. I'm defending the fact that he's an Iowa broadcaster, and it's not any more far out than ISU fans predicting winning a Big 12 North championship by 2010 after the past few seasons in football.

Top 10? No. Top 25? Maybe.

And I didn't hear the comment, so I don't know if he specifically said "They will be a top 10 program", or "This team could be contending for a top 10 spot in a few years."

There is a big difference.

But no, I don't think that a Hawkeye radio broadcaster being a homer is as big of a deal as some are trying to make it out as.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't really remember exactly what he said in regards to a couple years down the road. My main *gasp* came when he started throwing out crazy things about this year such as:

1) The Indiana game is a 50/50 toss up since it is at the funeral home known as CHA
2) After they win the aforementioned game "you never know what could happen" and that could jumpstart their Big X season
3) Iowa has a good shot to finish in the area of 5th-7th in the Big X if they "put it together"

What has anyone seen that makes them think the Hawks will be "putting it together" anytime soon? The 5 points they managed to put up in 15 minutes of play the other night? I'm sorry but there's being a homer (Rima), and then there's being a homer (Dolph/Zabel).

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It was a bit rediculous when Dolphin was talking of a 5th place Big 10 finish not being far fetched. I mean you guys are at best 10th. I dont see you winning more than 3 big 10 games.

Anyway... Im sure Iowa will be a decent team in a few years. Nobody will argue that. TL is a good coach and will do a decent job.

It was the comments about thsi years squad taht was silly.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I don't really remember exactly what he said in regards to a couple years down the road. My main *gasp* came when he started throwing out crazy things about this year such as:

1) The Indiana game is a 50/50 toss up since it is at the funeral home known as CHA
2) After they win the aforementioned game "you never know what could happen" and that could jumpstart their Big X season
3) Iowa has a good shot to finish in the area of 5th-7th in the Big X if they "put it together"

What has anyone seen that makes them think the Hawks will be "putting it together" anytime soon? The 5 points they managed to put up in 15 minutes of play the other night? I'm sorry but there's being a homer (Rima), and then there's being a homer (Dolph/Zabel).

So, he didn't specifically say that they'd be a top 10 team, and didn't specifically say that they'd have a good chance of beating UW. The biggest thing he said was that they could put it together if they some how upset IU, and may finish around midd-pack of the Big Ten (which would be ahead of PSU, NU, either Ohio State or Illinois (lost to Tennessee State in Champaign last night)).

I highly doubt that it would happen, but it's hardly a drunken homerific thing to say.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not defending his prediction. I'm defending the fact that he's an Iowa broadcaster, and it's not any more far out than ISU fans predicting winning a Big 12 North championship by 2010 after the past few seasons in football.

Have you seen this more than one time? I don't miss a whole lot on this board and I think I've maybe seen it once. If this person called in to Marty or Cotler they would probably be told they were insane for saying such a thing by the host.

It doesn't change the fact that that along with what he said regarding the current year's team are so blatantly homerific they are statements worthy of being mocked. It's so drunkenly homerific I would be surprised to hear Zabel say it.

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Have you seen this more than one time? I don't miss a whole lot on this board and I think I've maybe seen it once. If this person called in to Marty or Cotler they would probably be told they were insane for saying such a thing by the host.

It doesn't change the fact that that along with what he said regarding the current year's team are so blatantly homerific they are statements worthy of being mocked. It's so drunkenly homerific I would be surprised to hear Zabel say it.

Read the above post. The original poster admitted that he doesn't remember what Dolph actually said regarding those key points.

And yes, I've seen this quite a bit on this board. I don't have the time right now, but I would gladly dig up threads dedicated to the ISU football program and where they should be by at least 2010. I'm not doubting that you read more on this board than I do, but I've seen plenty posts about how ISU will be contending for a Big 12 North Title in a few years.

I even think there was a thread titled something like "10 wins next season?"

The point is, nobody can actually remember what Dolph said, other than the fact that it was Iowa slanted and had a bit of homerism to it. Other than that, the "Beating UW" and "Top 10 team by 2010" comments were just a fabrication.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Do you realize you're defending the absolute worst team in Iowa basketball in the last 20 years? This is what never ceases to amaze me, you think that for once, Iowa fans will realize that they are at the absolutely bottom of the barrel in their conference and just accept it. Instead they somehow back up the Head Kool-Aid Mixer (Dolph) and his outright insane comments.

Here's the bottom line. I don't care how awful or mediocre you think those other teams in the Big X are, your Iowa Hawkeyes are absolutely awful and several notches below even those "middle of the pack" teams. Do you see those other teams struggling to score 50 each game? The over/under on conference wins for Iowa should be set at 3, so no, I don't think that any fan of a team who is that terrible should be claiming that a game with Indiana is a "toss up" and the 12-point spread that will come out on that game will back me up. I don't care if the game is played in Kinnick's Magical Pink Locker Room, your chance of winning sits at 10%.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Read the above post. The original poster admitted that he doesn't remember what Dolph actually said regarding those key points.
The point is, nobody can actually remember what Dolph said, other than the fact that it was Iowa slanted and had a bit of homerism to it. Other than that, the "Beating UW" and "Top 10 team by 2010" comments were just a fabrication.

No, I "admitted" that I didn't remember exactly what he said about the next few years in regards to the team. I CLEARLY remember what he said about the first few games this year in the Big X and he seriously said that the Indiana game is 50/50 since it's at home and then if they can win that, they would have a good shot at Wisconsin. My main beef was with him assuming the first part of that equation.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Do you realize you're defending the absolute worst team in Iowa basketball in the last 20 years? This is what never ceases to amaze me, you think that for once, Iowa fans will realize that they are at the absolutely bottom of the barrel in their conference and just accept it. Instead they somehow back up the Head Kool-Aid Mixer (Dolph) and his outright insane comments.

Here's the bottom line. I don't care how awful or mediocre you think those other teams in the Big X are, your Iowa Hawkeyes are absolutely awful and several notches below even those "middle of the pack" teams. Do you see those other teams struggling to score 50 each game? The over/under on conference wins for Iowa should be set at 3, so no, I don't think that any fan of a team who is that terrible should be claiming that a game with Indiana is a "toss up" and the 12-point spread that will come out on that game will back me up. I don't care if the game is played in Kinnick's Magical Pink Locker Room, your chance of winning sits at 10%.

I wasn't aware that I (you know, SouthernHawk, not Gary Dolphin) was predicting a middle of the pack Big Ten season. I think Iowa will finish ahead of Northwestern, and maybe Penn State. But with 8 players, and no offense to speak of, it ain't happening.

Iowa has a defense that will keep them in games, but the offense and poor free throw shooting will lose them a lot of close games. So while I think 3 wins is a little low, I'm going to say that 7 wins would be too high.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
No, I "admitted" that I didn't remember exactly what he said about the next few years in regards to the team. I CLEARLY remember what he said about the first few games this year in the Big X and he seriously said that the Indiana game is 50/50 since it's at home and then if they can win that, they would have a good shot at Wisconsin. My main beef was with him assuming the first part of that equation.

You mean he assumed they'd play up to the level that they did at UNI, and take advantage of (hopefully) a home court advantage?

It's not 50/50, but it's not 20/80

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I even think there was a thread titled something like "10 wins next season?"

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/16441-will-isu-make-bowl-2008-a.html

You mean like this one, where greater than 40% of people think we won't even make a bowl game and most of the posts are centering around how we "might" get there if many things happen? The difference here is that our lunatic fringe fans are on this message board and get shouted down by the other members. Yours are on the radio. I'm sorry if you don't realize this annoys us some of us after decades.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron