Coaching To Win!

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
I love the way CPR coaches to win. While I would have gone for the 3 points early in the game vs going for it on 4-1, I admire his message to the team. We are here to win.

I felt the whole game, he made decisions that were coaching to win.

We've had too many historical games where we coached to not lose - and ended up losing b/c we did not have the personnel to be ultra conservative.

I think the tide had turned for the better!

Great win guys!

Edit: Also impressed that CPR doesn't wear the headsets... trusting his OC/DC to do their jobs!

Last edited:

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Also, the drive at the end of the first half. I was content to run the ball and go into halftime up 7-3. But Rhoads pushed it and ended up scoring a TD.

Klonz

Nov 9, 2006
Grimes, IA
Also, the drive at the end of the first half. I was content to run the ball and go into halftime up 7-3. But Rhoads pushed it and ended up scoring a TD.

ABSOLUTELY! In the old days we would have given the ball back again before half instead of being aggressive!!

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

This. I said to a buddy I was with that we needed to just run out the clock and go into half up 7-3...Rhoads proved he's a coach with balls and I'm not.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
This. I said to a buddy I was with that we needed to just run out the clock and go into half up 7-3...Rhoads proved he's a coach with balls and I'm not.

No question. As a lifelong Cyclone fan, all I could think about was the bad things that could happen. Coach Rhoads obviously, and thankfully correctly, didn't believe the same things. Love everything about this Coach.

wright4cy

Jan 15, 2007
Boone
It is sooo much fun to believe and be a confident cyclone ...even when things looked ugly knowing this coaching staff and players would never say die and I tip my hat to this team and group of coaches !!LOVE BEING A CYCLONE FAN!!!!

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Loved the attitude, but hated the play call. AA needs to be under center in that situation and since we never run any plays under center you could have done many, many things with the play call.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I would have been much happier up 17-0 at the half. I think ISU kick a fg that first drive and the Cyclones keep their momentum. They got shut down and Minnesota marched right down and scored. Could have been a completely different game IMO.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Hmmm, I never, for a second, thought we shoud settle for 7-3 at the half.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It is sooo much fun to believe and be a confident cyclone ...even when things looked ugly knowing this coaching staff and players would never say die and I tip my hat to this team and group of coaches !!LOVE BEING A CYCLONE FAN!!!!

I agree. It's obvious from this year that if you're going to beat a Paul Rhoads team, you are going to have to get down in the mud and the blood, and if you can't knock their *** out, you're in trouble, because they sure as hell will not submit.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I love the way CPR coaches to win. While I would have gone for the 3 points early in the game vs going for it on 4-1, I admire his message to the team. We are here to win.

I felt the whole game, he made decisions that were coaching to win.

We've had too many historical games where we coached to not lose - and ended up losing b/c we did not have the personnel to be ultra conservative.

I think the tide had turned for the better!

Great win guys!

Edit: Also impressed that CPR doesn't wear the headsets... trusting his OC/DC to do their jobs!

The funny thing about that call is that it was the same 4th and 1 call that they used down at aTm...With the same result the safety stopped the play cold...

I think Minnesota picked it up on the film and did the same thing defensively that aTm did.....

btw i was inside kyle field for the atm game and i will go back everytime isu er we play there until i see a WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes

Man I thought the same thing. This is good coaching, not getting too high or to low.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Not converting that 4th down was a huge momentum shift, and it took us a while to recover from it. (2nd quarter)
I don't see it as a bad call necessarily. But I certainly wouldn't consider it a wise move either...

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I loved the call to go for it on 4th and 1. I absolutely hated the play call. C'mon Herman, use a little creativity.