Coaching Search Rumors - Consolidated Thread

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Re: Could Iowa State pursue Jeff Brohm?

I wonder if WKU is a product of a NFL QB in Dougherty more so than a great offense. I think that is the only concern with Brohm and whether he is a good fit for the "run first" offense that has been very solid for us in the last 4 weeks.

Doughty really didn't do much until his Junior year, which is when Brohm became the OC/QB coach. So he might have had something to do with his development.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Lighten up Vicki.

tumblr_ml0pm4Koqk1rzh2flo1_400.gif

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Somebody want to prepare a list for today (maybe indicating current job)?

TIA

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Obviously for the next couple weeks we'll get lots of "sources" and speculation, but until the press conference, I leave it at that.

BUT, don't you wonder who's agents have called JP already to poke around, inquire? Obviously he's probably getting lots of no names whose agents are reaching out, but we'll probably never really know the "what could have beens" or the names that either were out of reach financially or that were declined due to other reasons.

cypack747

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2013
I, like most people on here, don't think there is any change that Les Miles comes to Iowa State. But if he was truly ****** off by the LSU situation, it would really stick it to the world to come turn around one of the worst football programs, then take the texas job in 3 or 4 years. And to people who say "I don't want to have a coach come and be successful and then bolt", would you really rather have a coach come and suck just as long as he doesn't get hired away? Not wanting to be a stepping stone is a bad line of thought in my opinion. Look at Houston, they're taking their wins now, and sure Herman might leave but they are going to take a run at him. And no matter what they will be better off for hiring him.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Lol one guy makes a joke post about hiring Les Miles and everyone discusses that like it is even remotely a possibility. ISU will either hire a mid major coach or a guy very few here even heard of. Just prepare yourselves.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I seriously like Rob Ash who just got dumped at Montana State.. which I still don't understand why they fired him but had a connection to Iowa and pretty much hired sturdy until Iowa State did..

I was thinking the same thing. Rob Ash would be a great hire. I watched him at Drake and he had good teams and loved the power running game. If he could recruit to non-scholarship Drake with all the academic restrictions and be successful, then turn around the fortunes of Montana State, he can do good at Iowa State.

Nazty

Nov 11, 2014
Known Rob a long time, good guy and hasn't had a losing season since 1992, but is 63 and may be ready to retire.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I think people need to realize if ISU goes after a young "up and coming" coach, they're going to get Chiz'd again. ISU is not a destination coaching position. If things are able to get turned around, the coach will use it as a springboard on to the next job. So if you're someone like Matt Campbell (just throwing a name out), why would you waste 3-5 years of coaching at ISU just so you can make a jump to the next team?

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
It was already said but I'm going to say it again. Who gives a **** if a guy comes in, uses us as a stepping stone, and moves on? Hopefully that means we get 3-4 good years out of him then he leaves the program in better shape than he found it. It would also show other young up and comers that ISU is a good place to launch your career. These are all good things for ISU and would certainly elevate us above where we are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I think people need to realize if ISU goes after a young "up and coming" coach, they're going to get Chiz'd again. ISU is not a destination coaching position. If things are able to get turned around, the coach will use it as a springboard on to the next job. So if you're someone like Matt Campbell (just throwing a name out), why would you waste 3-5 years of coaching at ISU just so you can make a jump to the next team?

Also, the typical benefit of a young guy is that you don't have to pay them as much. With the amount of quality jobs that are open and the amount that non-P5 teams have reportedly been willing to pay to retain their coaches the value just might not be there.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It was already said but I'm going to say it again. Who gives a **** if a guy cums in, uses us as a stepping stone, and moves on? Hopefully that means we get 3-4 good years out of him then he leaves the program in better shape than he found it. It would also show other young up and cummers that ISU is a good place to launch your career. These are all good things for ISU and would certainly elevate us above where we are now.

Exactly. Since people are discussing Les Miles, him using OSU as a stepping stone hasn't hurt them one bit.

Look what Fred using ISU as a stepping stone has done to the basketball program.

Forgot to add that Cincy has been used as a stepping stone for their previous 3-4 coaches and it seems to be working for them as well.

Last edited:

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Honestly, that might be exactly what we need. Get an up and coming coach with the ability to recruit and develop players. If they have 2 or 3 years of 6/7/8 win football, then bigger programs will come knocking and at that point, if the coach wants the opportunity, they will take it, but then leave behind talented players that have experience with winning, as well as a better reputation for the program.

Now that is entirely predicated on the staff that the new coach can pull together and the success they can create. If they lay an egg here, there wont be a bigger program trying to take him. If it does happen, then you can go after an established guy to build off of the success left behind, or let another up and comer try their hand.

This is exactly the model that ISU used with Fred Hoiberg. A young coach who isnt in high demand, builds a successful program over a few years. Bigger program (the NBA) comes calling and the coach leaves behind talent and experience. Now his replacement has a solid foundation to build from.

Maybe I am just an optimist, but sometime we are too jaded as a fan base to realize that things can get better for this team.