CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Not to belabor the memory, but I thought Mike Warren was the one who fumbled twice (including the end of game fumble.)

YOU are so right my friend it was Mike Warren who Fumbled at the end of the KState game and got Paul Rhoads fired.....I did notice that when Matt Campbell took over the football program that, Mike Warren got very few carries....Just shows that Matt Campbell is a whole lot SMARTER THAN CPR.....

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
4th-quarter possessions (ISU up 35-28)
ISU - punt
KSU - punt
ISU - Warren fumble
KSU - downs
ISU - punt
KSU - downs
ISU - Warren fumble
KSU - TD (35-35)
ISU - Lanning sack/fumble
KSU - FG (35-38)
ISU - last play, laterals everywhere, fumble

Ah yes. We fumbled three times in the quarter. Good times, good times.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think the issue with Rhoads in recruiting was two consecutive years of realignment chaos. He literally couldn't tell recruits if we were going to be in a power conference. It didn't hurt the Oklahoma schools and Texas schools as much because they are so close to where the good recruits are and some of them were going to land in P5 no matter what.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
There is no excuse for two special teams tds. But, as a special teams coach, the first game always scares me to death. Because of injury risks you really cannot simulate it in practice and film of other team may not be reliable. Two special team plays is the reason this thread even exists. If oline continues to improve then no one well even talk about this game except how it kept us from a high national ranking. This season will be a crap shoot due to covid.
Not what a process team is comfortable with by any means. Our state hs programs are just trying to function week to week. It is and will be a crazy year of football.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There is no excuse for two special teams tds. But, as a special teams coach, the first game always scares me to death. Because of injury risks you really cannot simulate it in practice and film of other team may not be reliable. Two special team plays is the reason this thread even exists. If oline continues to improve then no one well even talk about this game except how it kept us from a high national ranking. This season will be a crap shoot due to covid.
Not what a process team is comfortable with by any means. Our state hs programs are just trying to function week to week. It is and will be a crazy year of football.

I don't know that we'll see much improvement from this OL or not?

Downing went down, and in came a walk on..... that's our depth. And he got steamrolled. He tried his best, but if you have an even average OL.... that guy is not on your 2 deep.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If anyone really wants to compare the coaching of CPR vs CMC, I encourage you to rewatch the 2015 KSU vs ISU game in Manhattan. We were up 3 touchdowns at halftime. Go and watch the last 2 minutes of the game, when KSU scored 10 points in the last 30 seconds. We had the game won (or at the very least overtime), and all we had to do was down the football. CPR called for a Lanning run, where was immediately tackled, and fumbled the ball. KSU kicked the game winning FG as time expired.

99.9% of coaches would have won that game, or played for overtime. Somehow, CPR found a way to lose that game. Watch the last 2 minutes of that game, then try to compare CPR as a coach to CMC. Good luck.

That was the game that I was done with CPR as head coach, I'm a lot more lenient on our coaches than many on this board but I was done after that fiasco.

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That was the game that I was done with CPR as head coach, I'm a lot more lenient on our coaches than many on this board but I was done after that fiasco.
I was done with him after the 2012 Liberty Bowl Flop to Tulsa. All those Cyclone fans down there, and F-L-O-P FLOP!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Tossing out a hypothetical here....if CMC consistently won 7-8 games could you tolerate him NEVER beating Iowa and losing to a DII or Group of Five team more often than not early in the season?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Nope. I'm convinced that winning football can't be done here. After Saturday I'm stepping back

But I'm ALL IN for the Iowa State PrISUm solar car! Who's with me?!? I bet it has more wins than Thunder Dan McCarney at this point!!

#moreassthanatoiletseat

View attachment 75533
I'm with ya. Love the Iowa State PrISUm solar car!

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tossing out a hypothetical here....if CMC consistently won 7-8 games could you tolerate him NEVER beating Iowa and losing to a DII or Group of Five team more often than not early in the season?

The history of ISU football makes it kind of hard not to accept that especially if there were a few 9-10 win seasons in there.

Iowa game might be more of a perception or recruiting advantage type of thing. Only thing weird about that is the 'Super Bowl' talk is still out there and ISU has looked like **** against them with exception to 2017.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Through 52 games:

CPR: 24-28
Home: 15 wins (12 losses)
Home vs ranked: 1 win (8 losses)
Away vs ranked: 3 wins (7 losses)
Bowls: 1 win NR Minnesota (2 losses NR Tulsa, NR Rutgers)
Conference: 12 wins (20 losses)
VS Iowa: 2-2

CMC: 26-26
Home: 16 wins (11 losses)
Home vs ranked: 3 wins (6 losses)
Away vs ranked: 2 wins (5 losses)
Bowls: 1 win #19 Memphis (2 losses #15 ND, #12 Wazzu)
Conference: 18 wins (18 losses)
VS Iowa: 0-4

what about conference wins?

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
This is a frustrating thread. It's stirring a pot that does not need to be stirred. Especially now that the bye week is over.
Okay. Yeah. Sure, it's objective statistics. Our current coach has only 2 more wins than the previous coach did and he ended up getting fired.

Those 2 extra wins have helped give us 3 finishes in the top half of the Big 12 standings in a row.

Looking back through the history of the Big 12 it looks like we have had 4 other years where we finished in the top half of the league - 2000, 2001, 2004, and 2005.

But I guess we're only 1/2 a win better per year the last 4 years than we were in 2009-2013.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And I’m getting made fun of for worrying about the championship game ;)

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyched

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Luckily I wasn’t part of this thread. My computer was in the shop getting fixed because I threw it during this game. My keyboard keys would have been on fire with everyone else’s.

Reactions: isutrevman