Close game

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Not going to sit here and say Baylor didn’t deserve the W, but had some of those fluke TOs not occurred and those questionable ref calls not happen in the first, I think Iowa State wins this game. That is all.

Good effort and glad to see us to keep the score close and in it playing hard until the very end.

I will take a 3-1 at this point into the season. On to the next one.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Bad early calls aside, we really didn't play very well and still had a chance. Baylor is good (I never put much stock into their loss at BYU - night game in Provo is a tough environment). Taking a macro-look at the year, most of us would have signed up for 3-1. Need to play better next week and get the win - Kansas is no longer a pushover.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bad early calls aside, we really didn't play very well and still had a chance. Baylor is good (I never put much stock into their loss at BYU - night game in Provo is a tough environment). Taking a macro-look at the year, most of us would have signed up for 3-1. Need to play better next week and get the win - Kansas is no longer a pushover.

That BYU game was also BU's first game with a team on a bit of a reset.

They're good. ISU was sloppy. Also last season ISU was pretty low ranked on defensive 3rd down conversions and forced turnovers I think and that trend looks to continue.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I would have signed up for 3-1 to start the year as well - especially with a W over Iowa.

These next two games are critical though (Ku and K state). Win them both and a very good bowl is still out there.

Some concerns I have:
Offense
- the O line was somewhat inconsistent in run blocking today
- Hunter Dekkers designed runs are generally horrible and go for no yards. The one pick was not on Hunter, the other one was just a bad read by him.

Defense
- too much 3 man pressure hurt, not enough sacks, no turnovers today. A guy like Blake Shapen is too good of a player to let sit back there and be comfortable. That may work against Petras, but not against good QBs
- the play where it was third down and we dropped Will McDonald into coverage.....Like why?? Someone help me with that one. He's our best pass rusher.

Some good:
- Dmitri Stanley is a guy, he's showing us he can produce. The first half TD was a beauty
- Jaylin Noel had a nice catch and run for a long game at the end, but we have to get him involved more earlier.
- Jihrehl Brock continues to show us he is a quality big 12 back. Boy did the fumble in the end zone scare me. oof.
- Good game from Gerry Vaugh at LB today, Vance was good as well.

Targeting is the worst thing about college football (outside of the same teams in the playoff every year). It breaks up the fun of the game. It is called in a wildly inconsistent way. It could be called 100X per game. The NFL has it right, give flags for INTENTIONAL head hunting and defenseless receivers, but don't disrupt the game.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would have signed up for 3-1 to start the year as well - especially with a W over Iowa.

These next two games are critical though (Ku and K state). Win them both and a very good bowl is still out there.

Some concerns I have:
Offense
- Hunter Dekkers designed runs are generally horrible and go for no yards. The one pick was not on Hunter, the other one was just a bad read by him.

Defense
- too much 3 man pressure hurt, not enough sacks, no turnovers today. A guy like Blake Shapen is too good of a player to let sit back there and be comfortable. That may work against Petras, but not against good QBs
- the play where it was third down and we dropped Will McDonald into coverage.....Like why?? Someone help me with that one. He's our best pass rusher.

Some good:
- Dmitri Stanley is a guy, he's showing us he can produce. The first half TD was a beauty
- Jaylin Noel had a nice catch and run for a long game at the end, but we have to get him involved more earlier.
- Jihrehl Brock continues to show us he is a quality big 12 back. Boy did the fumble in the end zone scare me. oof.

Offensive targeting is the worst thing about college football. It breaks up the fun of the game. It is called in a wildly inconsistent way. It could be called 100X per game. The NFL has it right, give flags for INTENTIONAL head hunting and defenseless receivers, but don't disrupt the game.
Second int wasn’t a bad read, he was throwing low the whole second half. He did it again and got picked.

Reactions: dirtyninety

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Defense

^ THIS!!!

^ And This!

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Not sure how so many had us winning this. I predicted a loss but we played like **** most of the game and were still in it. Wasn’t Baylor top ten to start the year? They’re a good team just wish the refs didn’t ******* suck.

Gonna learn a lot about Iowa state and Kansas next week.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Some concerns I have:
Offense

Defense

Some good:

Targeting is the worst thing about college football (outside of the same teams in the playoff every year). It breaks up the fun of the game. It is called in a wildly inconsistent way. It could be called 100X per game. The NFL has it right, give flags for INTENTIONAL head hunting and defenseless receivers, but don't disrupt the game.

Targeting needs to only be called on fairly egregious plays, when there is intent and when there is launching. The one against OU last year that didn’t get called when the dude launched at Purdys head is an example.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
All the bad calls, and we were only down 3 with the ball to start the 2nd half. Completely outworked the 2nd half. Learning experience for a young team.
Yep....all first half "what ifs/BS" aside, credit Baylor as they had our number in the 3rd quarter especially.

Reactions: MTCyclone43

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The officials had a horrible 1st half. Enough to cost ISU the game.

If ISU wins the 2nd half, we win the game. But Baylor played better on both sides of the ball the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

I think we are seeing a trend with our defense. If the opposing QB makes self induced errors- we look good. But if the opposing QB doesn't make errors (like Baylor today), then out defense has trouble getting off the field.

A few years ago, Coach Heacock make a great decision to go to a 3-3-5 defense. I think opposing teams have adjusted. We just don't make opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket. AND there are too many passing and scrambling lanes with 3 DL. Sure blitzing is effective at times, but we need consistent pressure to get in the opposing QB's head.

IMO Heacock needs to pivot and move to a 4-2-5 defense. We have the DL talent with McDonald, Lee, Singleton, Onyedim, Orange, Anderson and Peterson. Also Vance might be an effective DE.

It seems like a 4 man DL could also eliminate double teams that McDonald faces every play. And also allow him to line up on OT's outside shoulder.

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The officials had a horrible 1st half. Enough to cost ISU the game.

If ISU wins the 2nd half, we win the game. But Baylor played better on both sides of the ball the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

I think we are seeing a trend with our defense. If the opposing QB makes self induced errors- we look good. But if the opposing QB doesn't make errors (like Baylor today), then out defense has trouble getting off the field.

A few years ago, Coach Heacock make a great decision to go to a 3-3-5 defense. I think opposing teams have adjusted. We just don't make opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket. AND there are too many passing and scrambling lanes with 3 DL. Sure blitzing is effective at times, but we need consistent pressure to get in the opposing QB's head.

IMO Heacock needs to pivot and move to a 4-2-5 defense. We have the DL talent with McDonald, Lee, Singleton, Onyedim, Orange, Anderson and Peterson. Also Vance might be an effective DE.

It seems like a 4 man DL could also eliminate double teams that McDonald faces every play. And also allow him to line up on OT's outside shoulder.
More than several previous ISU coaches played a four man front and NEVER MADE IT TO A BOWL GAME!!

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I was surprised Baylor never put any pressure on our punter and field goal units.
Yeah they were very conservative. I feel like that was a mistake on their part.

Very Iowa State of us to have our first mistake free ST game in literally years and we get ref jobbed in first half and then outplayed 2nd half.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Just saw during another game that we have not been 4-0 since 2000. 3rd worst.

Kansas isn't Kansas so they better make several improvements. This effort will result in another L.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
More than several previous ISU coaches played a four man front and NEVER MADE IT TO A BOWL GAME!!
Play to your talent. Campbell used a 4-2-5 at Toledo.

We also had coaches make bowl games with a 4 man like. This is about giving us the best chance to win. Look at our Big12 scores over the last 2 years.