CKJ has got to go!

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
I watched the video feed for at least 20 minutes after the creepy CTB conference, coach Jackson was a no-show and the Cy.tv feed moved on to regularly scheduled programming (which was awesome, btw.) If he eventually showed up, no on was there to actually witness it.

Relic

Not true, but thanks for trying. He showed up, just later than some would have liked.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I watched the video feed for at least 20 minutes after the creepy CTB conference, coach Jackson was a no-show and the Cy.tv feed moved on to regularly scheduled programming (which was awesome, btw.) If he eventually showed up, no on was there to actually witness it.

Relic

Apparently KJ can do as he wants.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Relic

Apparently KJ can do as he wants.

It's already posted on Cyclones.TV and doesn't require a subscription.

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
That may be true, but he definitely took his time arriving for the interview. I hope he's not that nonchalant about the other aspects of coaching ISU wrestling (and judging by the wrestling today, he may be.)

Relic

It's already posted on Cyclones.TV and doesn't require a subscription.

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
I will just end with this. each of our previous 3 coaches have more finishes in the top 5 than jackson has finishes in the top 10.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
That may be true, but he definitely took his time arriving for the interview. I hope he's not that nonchalant about the other aspects of coaching ISU wrestling (and judging by the wrestling today, he may be.)

Relic

You get 'em tiger.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So in other words you either have no idea of a specific example of what you're talking about and are just blowing smoke, or you're completely disregarding specific wrestlers within the last 12 months that were dominant throughout the year.

Or you just want to keep changing what it is that you're talking about. Or possibly you're one of those people that hold on to our last NT in 1987 as something that has legitimate bearing on how we should view the program today because nothing else in the collegiate wrestling landscape has changed since then.

cloneswereall with the technical fall.

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
Thought-provoking response :)

Despite all I've posted, I'm a huge Cyclone fan and hope for better times ahead. I just don't believe that CKJ is the person to lead the wrestling team to those better times.

Relic

You get 'em tiger.

Last edited:

RunWrestle

Oct 15, 2013
The wrestlers can control two things. 1. Weight and 2. Conditioning. ISU guys were tired and that should be unacceptable. Better shape would have likely allowed Hall and Moreno from getting turned from laying there. 157 was flat out embarrassing while HWT just rolled over and quit. You can tell the favoritism by the corners coaching. I will leave it at that. Has the ship sailed on Boston and Meeks? Or will we have to wait for next year again??

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The wrestlers can control two things. 1. Weight and 2. Conditioning. ISU guys were tired and that should be unacceptable. Better shape would have likely allowed Hall and Moreno from getting turned from laying there. 157 was flat out embarrassing while HWT just rolled over and quit. You can tell the favoritism by the corners coaching. I will leave it at that. Has the ship sailed on Boston and Meeks? Or will we have to wait for next year again??

I would add that they can control aggressiveness as number 3. It's no wonder they get their ***** kicked when they are passive and not attacking.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Nathan has to get his weight under control, if he can. 125 might just be to much of a cut. Kyle is fighting hard

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
How do fans feel about losing Travis & Trent?
Personally think nothing would happen until after March, so I will support this team & staff. And that doesn't mean I was happy with how we wrestled

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
Personally, I think it's time for a complete overhaul. The Clones need to get back to hard-nosed, folk-style wrestling, a la the expletive-deleted Hawks. I may be wrong about this, but it seems like the current regime has more of a free-style orientation. (I wonder if I could slip in a few more hyphenated phrases :X)

Relic

Personally think nothing would happen until after March, so I will support this team & staff. And that doesn't mean I was happy with how we wrestled

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

This is the reason why I'm torn with it. Absolutely love those 2 and I really think they are the reason that we have the good recruiting class we have in the coming years. Ideally of something did happen, KJ would be let go and these 2 would get the interim spot and then get it for good.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado

I for one think the Paulsons are the best thing we have going for us. I'd actually like it if one or both took over.

Like you, I don't think anyone is going anywhere until after March and I will support the program until then.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
So in other words you either have no idea of a specific example of what you're talking about and are just blowing smoke, or you're completely disregarding specific wrestlers within the last 12 months that were dominant throughout the year.

Or you just want to keep changing what it is that you're talking about. Or possibly you're one of those people that hold on to our last NT in 1987 as something that has legitimate bearing on how we should view the program today because nothing else in the collegiate wrestling landscape has changed since then.

I can't speak for him but my recollection of aggressive wrestlers under KJ (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some) includes Varner and to a lesser extent, Zabriskie,....he was pretty aggressive for a hwt. Gallick was rounding into shape nicely under Cael and it would have been fun to see what he could've done with a healthy senior year. Long got after it pretty well and Reader was a freakin' animal his senior year. Andrew Sorenson was a blast to watch as a senior and yes, Gadson was dominant last year. Aside from Sorenson and Zabriskie, all the others were blue chips and all besides Kyven were Cael holdovers that KJ made better. The recent average is maybe 2 guys/season that I would truly consider aggressive...and lateral dropping yourself to a fall =/= aggression. A guy could probably look past it if we wrestled smart, tactical matches with an eye toward a solid 3rd period, but most of the time it seems like all we do in the 3rd is gas out, whether it's in December or March.

I've been a pretty steady KJ supporter but I don't like the way we're trending. We're recruiting ok but we're not closing any ground on the elite programs, and are probably slipping further behind from a talent standpoint. Unfortunately I see nothing on the development side to offset that. We can hope upgrades at '84 and '97 this season will help but recent data doesn't lend itself to that hope becoming a reality and even if those guys are legit it doesn't make us a top 5 or probably even top 10 team. Time will tell who is right, but I can no longer say I have a problem with people that want to call KJ's coaching into question. He can certainly coach elite talent, but national championship teams almost always have 1 or 2 under-recruited state champs that were developed in the room and made the podium. There hasn't been much of that in Ames under KJ.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
I am ok if we separate with them.

I am disappointed to say the least, the French Army puts up more of a fight than we did today and it started from the beginning when Iowa runs over to our huddle and shake hands. Our guys need to go to the center of the mat and bring them back.
133 I can find at least 5 guys at every bus stop on campus that know you have to get out of a 2 on 1, not hang your head and explode off bottom.
141 good win could have separated more
149 a match that should have been closer than the score we gave up too much at the end
157 Our guy is way more talented showed he could take the guy down was scared of him KJ has had a year and a half to get him squared away and hasn't
165 it was a win but faded at the end needed to separated again
174 our guy was beat when he woke up this morning not sure what he was doing on the mat our 184 lber needs to cut down and take the weight
184 kid was out matched but was the only one that had some attitude on the mat I'll give him that but had no place being out there with that kid
197 again completely out classed
hwt a weight we could have won but I guess our guy decided to roll on his back and not fight. we looked scared
125 he will never win.
In all we looked like a below ave JV team today and it's on the coaches no reason for that we were stalling making amateur mistakes and did not want to fight. Coaches were not helping either. I think they all went in to the meet thinking they were going to loose.