CKJ has got to go!

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
I'm basing this not on the results of today's match (regardless of how pathetically the clones wrestled), rather on how he reacted to most of the losing wrestlers as they walked off the mat. He mostly just shook his head at them as they walked off. Definitely the sign of a coach who's not fully invested in his wrestlers. He also failed to show up for the press conference. I had to endure a creepy CTB interview waiting for CKJ to show up, which he didn't. I'm just getting a bad vibe from the current regime of wrestling coaches.

On the other hand, I enjoyed listening to Jim Gibbons on the Cy.tv broadcast. He definitely knows his stuff.

Relic

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So I was talking to my source from the CWC at a football tailgate about the upcoming season and we got to talking about Jackson. She said it's not uncommon for Jackson to not even be at practice. She said that the Paulson's run the practice most of the time. Your the head coach and you cant attend practices? Really want him to be gone after this year regardless of the recruiting class that's coming in but have a feeling that Pollard is ok with mediocrity in the wrestling program.

Last edited:

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
I agree we need change! I do not know a whole lot about wrestling, but I do not see any competitiveness. We used to man handle some opponents, not so much anymore. I love how the Hawks have always just beat the crap out of their opponents, but Jackson's teams just kind of go out and roll around with the opponent. It is like they are wrestling to not lose rather than beat them like a rented mule.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I agree we need change! I do not know a whole lot about wrestling, but I do not see any competitiveness. We used to man handle some opponents, not so much anymore. I love how the Hawks have always just beat the crap out of their opponents, but Jackson's teams just kind of go out and roll around with the opponent. It is like they are wrestling to not lose rather than beat them like a rented mule.
Just exactly when was that according to your recollection?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
They lost only twice last year, had a national champ and they're bringing in the best recruiting class of the KJ era. I think he's actually starting to gain some serious momentum. I don't want him to go just yet.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Ok, maybe not as a team, but I mean we had guys that would really work the opponent over and beat them up. now, its like they are thumb wrestling.
Alright, now that the goalposts have moved, when were you talking about? Last year we had Kyven manhandling opponents all season, and Harrington has the ability once he hits the mat this season. So again, when exactly were you referring? Because in 2010 we had a pair of National Champions and a few guys that continued to hammer on opponents all season if the argument is "a couple of guys".

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
Alright, now that the goalposts have moved, when were you talking about? Last year we had Kyven manhandling opponents all season, and Harrington has the ability once he hits the mat this season. So again, when exactly were you referring? Because in 2010 we had a pair of National Champions and a few guys that continued to hammer on opponents all season if the argument is "a couple of guys".

so I understand you disagree. You can settle for a national champ here or maybe 2 during a good year. Do you think the majority of our guys, the team, is working the crap out of their opponents?? I am comparing our guys to the hawks. every single one of them beats you up. we don't wrestle that way. I had a classmate that wrestled for the hawks and he admits that KJ is not a good fit the clones. Hell yes im jealous of the hawkeye wrestling program! They are mean wrestlers, they want to win buy hurting you. KJ's team doesn't do that as a team!! I would rather take the hawks to a bar fight than our boys. sorry, but its true!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Q's is the match that bothered me the most. I know KJ was steamed when Q was coming off. He fire doesn't seem to be there as much as it should, IMO.

The quality seems to keep stepping up and letting some of the freshmen get their redshirt is nice, although it seems to be not as rare as it used to be to have true freshmen competing and holding their own.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
What weights upset you most? I know there are a few starters sidelined.

Just one: 197, who is suspended. Once things get straightened out he will have a good career but he's not at an AA level yet.

KJ isn't going anywhere. He just got signed to an extension in the offseason.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just one: 197, who is suspended. Once things get straightened out he will have a good career but he's not at an AA level yet.

And Downey will take over at 184 at semester.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just one: 197, who is suspended. Once things get straightened out he will have a good career but he's not at an AA level yet

When are we wrestling UNI again.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
so I understand you disagree. You can settle for a national champ here or maybe 2 during a good year. Do you think the majority of our guys, the team, is working the crap out of their opponents?? I am comparing our guys to the hawks. every single one of them beats you up. we don't wrestle that way. I had a classmate that wrestled for the hawks and he admits that KJ is not a good fit the clones. Hell yes im jealous of the hawkeye wrestling program! They are mean wrestlers, they want to win buy hurting you. KJ's team doesn't do that as a team!! I would rather take the hawks to a bar fight than our boys. sorry, but its true!
You aren't answering my question. When, in the history of the program do you remember us manhandling opponents? You flat out said "We used to manhandle some opponents, not so much anymore". When was this?

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
I have said this before, we have been ranked higher, finished higher in the past. lately, we suck! look at the coaches records from the past and their finishes.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
So in other words you either have no idea of a specific example of what you're talking about and are just blowing smoke, or you're completely disregarding specific wrestlers within the last 12 months that were dominant throughout the year.

Or you just want to keep changing what it is that you're talking about. Or possibly you're one of those people that hold on to our last NT in 1987 as something that has legitimate bearing on how we should view the program today because nothing else in the collegiate wrestling landscape has changed since then.