Chris Street Gravesite Vandalized

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I liked Chris Street and actually respected Iowa in basketball during the Tom Davis era.
For most of high school, I was a split ISU football/Iowa basketball fan. When I was a freshman in high school, Dean Oliver was a freshman at Iowa, and being from Mason City, I was pretty easily drawn to their basketball program as my Iowa State allegiance was still in development.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Obviously just want to say first that it's terrible that they vandalized his gravesite, I hope they catch and punish whoever did it, and I'll be interested to see if there was any motive.

On to the legend issue: I think at most he's probably a State of Iowa sports legend because I think a lot of people who don't follow sports would have no idea who he was.

Is he a State of Iowa sports legend? I wouldn't say so. To me, in order to be a legend, people need to know who you are. Unless they're an Iowa fan, I don't think a lot of young people know who he is. Christ Street died almost 30 years ago. I'm in my late 20s so I have no memories of him. I remember hearing stories about him at specific times (like when the Iowa player missed the free throw), but before I saw this thread I would not have been able to tell you anything about Chris Street if you had asked me who he was. I don't know that I would have been able to recall that he was an Iowa player. I would have thought you were asking about the gay pride parade in Berlin.

I view Chris Street in a similar way to Pete Taylor. Are they legends for fans of their teams? Yes. Do people above a certain age know who they are and have specific memories of when they passed away? Yes. But I think it's fine to say neither is a State of Iowa sporting legend because there's a sizable segment of sports fans in Iowa who have no idea who they are.

Reactions: VeloClone and GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Between this and the Kirk Ferentz Has Covid thread some of you need serious help.

I know the Street family somewhat and I live in the area. I've never heard one person say a negative thing about them.
I've never heard a negative thing about Chris but you can't be serious about his parents

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've never heard a negative thing about Chris but you can't be serious about his parents

I'm being absolutely and completely honest when I say I lived in the area a long time and I've never heard a negative thing about them. Now, admittedly I'm not often out soliciting people's opinions on the Street family, but I've never heard a bad thing.

And also, let's not lose sight of the fact this is all in response to them justifiably being upset by someone desecrating their son's gravesite. How we got to "he wasn't that good and his parents suck" from that is beyond me. As I led with, some of you need help.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm being absolutely and completely honest when I say I lived in the area a long time and I've never heard a negative thing about them. Now, admittedly I'm not often out soliciting people's opinions on the Street family, but I've never heard a bad thing.

And also, let's not lose sight of the fact this is all in response to them justifiably being upset by someone desecrating their son's gravesite. How we got to "he wasn't that good and his parents suck" from that is beyond me. As I led with, some of you need help.

Screwing with his grave is pathetic and sad. Doesn't have anything to do with his parents being less than decent people.

Reactions: CyTwins and jmb

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Obviously just want to say first that it's terrible that they vandalized his gravesite, I hope they catch and punish whoever did it, and I'll be interested to see if there was any motive.

On to the legend issue: I think at most he's probably a State of Iowa sports legend because I think a lot of people who don't follow sports would have no idea who he was.

Is he a State of Iowa sports legend? I wouldn't say so. To me, in order to be a legend, people need to know who you are. Unless they're an Iowa fan, I don't think a lot of young people know who he is. Christ Street died almost 30 years ago. I'm in my late 20s so I have no memories of him. I remember hearing stories about him at specific times (like when the Iowa player missed the free throw), but before I saw this thread I would not have been able to tell you anything about Chris Street if you had asked me who he was. I don't know that I would have been able to recall that he was an Iowa player. I would have thought you were asking about the gay pride parade in Berlin.

I view Chris Street in a similar way to Pete Taylor. Are they legends for fans of their teams? Yes. Do people above a certain age know who they are and have specific memories of when they passed away? Yes. But I think it's fine to say neither is a State of Iowa sporting legend because there's a sizable segment of sports fans in Iowa who have no idea who they are.
I’m 37 and I know the name and that he died. I’ve learned more about his death from this thread than I knew before, and I still don’t know what happened. I think there’s a Chris Street Foundation? But no idea what it does.

I’d say he’s Hawkeye legend. Definitely not a state of Iowa legend.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Screwing with his grave is pathetic and sad. Doesn't have anything to do with his parents being less than decent people.

...and I'm not sure what his parents being "less than decent people" (your words, not mine) has to do with people screwing with his gravesite. It's absolutely irrelevant.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
...and I'm not sure what his parents being "less than decent people" (your words, not mine) has to do with people screwing with his gravesite. It's absolutely irrelevant.

You stuck up for his parents nothing more than that. Calm down. This is a pointless debate anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Have plenty of friends and relatives who live in Humeston and Indianola who have never had a bad thing to say either and have interacted with his sisters myself and thought they were quite kind.

This seems like a strange place and reason for people to attack others they don’t know and damage reputations without a thought.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Legend and Hero seem to be two words that have watered down meaning over the past years...on account we've labeled SOOO many people with both.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Have plenty of friends and relatives who live in Humeston and Indianola who have never had a bad thing to say either and have interacted with his sisters myself and thought they were quite kind.

This seems like a strange place and reason for people to attack others they don’t know and damage reputations without a thought.

actually and unfortunately, this is exactly the place for this type of stuff to happen...the entire site is full of it.