Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think Beard is a GREAT coach. Just like I think Lon Kruger is a great coach. Let's not forget that OU was in the Final Four just a few years ago too. Point being, I'm not sure why there is this seeming mass hysteria throughout the nation about how great Beard is and how TTU is now going to be some sort of powerhouse. They will be a solid program with flashes of eliteness, just like OU. They will have rebuilding years like OU. They will consistently be a top half of the BXII. But it's not like all the sudden they're a blue blood.

I think a lot of the difference here is that a lot of people thought that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Tech, relative to last year. Instead, he took his team to the National Championship. Kruger's Oklahoma team that got to that elite level was a senior-laden team that people expected to be at the top of the Big 12.

Reactions: KillBilly

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Beard got Tech in the final four for RJ Hampton, now according to Rivals he has Tech in the mix to land Greg Brown #6 player in 2020 on 247. Saw on Rivals Beard went to visit him and now Brown will be making a visit there.

KillBilly

Jul 2, 2010
Dallas, TX
https://247sports.com/college/texas...ew-Contract-Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-131644091/

This article includes a link to the entire contract. Interesting read!

Beard will receive a car allowance and gets another one if he gets married during the term of the contract.. :)

*NOTE: All buyout penalties will be cut in half in the event Kirby Hocutt is no longer employed at Texas Tech.
Beard is dating the ladies basketball coach at a Lubbock high school. That bit cracked me up.

The lower buyout if Kirby Hocutt leaves makes sense too. He promised Beard a $30M basketball only training facility and it's currently under construction. Hocutt also has the Tech athletics department humming, except for football. Men's T&F ranked #1. Baseball has gone to 3 CWS the past 4 years and is set to host a regional again. Tadlock is current AP Baseball COY. Beard is current AP Basketball COY. Every Tech spring team is ranked except for women's tennis and golf. A&M is looking for a new AD and may take a run at Hocutt but he's already one of the top 5 highest paid ADs in the country. Plus, Aggie athletics is just a circle jerk. So much money spent with very little to show for it. Beard was smart to "encourage" Tech to keep Hocutt happy.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
https://247sports.com/college/texas...ew-Contract-Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-131644091/

This article includes a link to the entire contract. Interesting read!

Beard will receive a car allowance and gets another one if he gets married during the term of the contract.. :)

*NOTE: All buyout penalties will be cut in half in the event Kirby Hocutt is no longer employed at Texas Tech.

Base salary is $300,000.
Rights fees for outside athletic related income is $3,900,000.

Huh? What is the benefit of structuring it like this?

KillBilly

Jul 2, 2010
Dallas, TX
Smart guy

This was huge news to Tech fans! Mark Adams is a defensive guru and Tech alumni. Tech practices are 2/3 defense and 1/3 offense, and Adams runs the defensive side. Fortunately, Tech asst. coaches and major support staff also received significant raises as part of the Beard contract extension negotiations.

KillBilly

Jul 2, 2010
Dallas, TX
So, are these guys funneling money back to Tech?

More importantly, is Matt Campbell related to this Cody Campbell guy?

With fracking, the entire Permian Basin is once again pumping what the world knows as "West Texas Sweet Crude." It's the gold standard. And recently the worlds largest oil and gas reserve ever discovered was found in a different part of the Permian Basin covering far West Texas and East New Mexico. And New Mexico could really use the revenue. I used to drive from Lubbock to visit a girlfriend in Roswell. Signs along the highway said, "Vehicle speed is monitored by airplanes. Violators will be ticketed." Riiight. Lol. Anyway, back on topic, Tech alums are major players in this new oil boom with TCU alumni (unfortunately) also major but lessor players.

The old Permian Basin fields mostly benefitted UT and A&M through the PUF fund (Permanent University Fund) which was created by the state of Texas many years ago to be funded with O&G royalties from thousands of acres of Permian Basin land in West Texas. It's the primary reason why UT and A&M each have one of the top 20 college endowments in the country. (ATM approaching $6B and UT must be over $15B). I believe the split was, and still may be, 2/3 UT and 1/3 A&M. But this new O&G discovery is outside the PUF lands so the Horns and Ags can suck it!

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
With fracking, the entire Permian Basin is once again pumping what the world knows as "West Texas Sweet Crude." It's the gold standard. And recently the worlds largest oil and gas reserve ever discovered was found in a different part of the Permian Basin covering far West Texas and East New Mexico. And New Mexico could really use the revenue. I used to drive from Lubbock to visit a girlfriend in Roswell. Signs along the highway said, "Vehicle speed is monitored by airplanes. Violators will be ticketed." Riiight. Lol. Anyway, back on topic, Tech alums are major players in this new oil boom with TCU alumni (unfortunately) also major but lessor players.

The old Permian Basin fields mostly benefitted UT and A&M through the PUF fund (Permanent University Fund) which was created by the state of Texas many years ago to be funded with O&G royalties from thousands of acres of Permian Basin land in West Texas. It's the primary reason why UT and A&M each have one of the top 20 college endowments in the country. (ATM approaching $6B and UT must be over $15B). I believe the split was, and still may be, 2/3 UT and 1/3 A&M. But this new O&G discovery is outside the PUF lands so the Horns and Ags can suck it!

hell yeah selling out our childrens future so we can win a sports game

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Cat Stevens

Terrance J

May 10, 2019
hell yeah selling out our childrens future so we can win a sports game

Pretty much everything we own is made from oil, or some oil by-product. I see lots of people pointing fingers at oil companies for being the one's supplying it, yet very few people are willing to give up the products that are made from oil. Just like we blame food manufacturers for using preservatives, farmers for using pesticides, and companies for using cheap parts made in China, yet most of those complaining would not be willing to pay the huge hike in price otherwise. Not saying that we should just accept these things, but don't point the finger at anyone else until you're willing to give those things up.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Pretty much everything we own is made from oil, or some oil by-product. I see lots of people pointing fingers at oil companies for being the one's supplying it, yet very few people are willing to give up the products that are made from oil. Just like we blame food manufacturers for using preservatives, farmers for using pesticides, and companies for using cheap parts made in China, yet most of those complaining would not be willing to pay the huge hike in price otherwise. Not saying that we should just accept these things, but don't point the finger at anyone else until you're willing to give those things up.

i was talking about paying a coach 4.5 millnon + a year when their are kids who cant afford college not stupid oils or elixars or potiions piss off with ur witchcraft terrence