Chicago travel/Cubs game

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
We are headed to Chicago 7/18-7/20 for a short trip to a Cubs game and etc.

I'm looking at hotels downtown and all seem to have a $30-$45 parking fee per night. Any tips on hotels downtown or that are easy train access in the suburbs? I don't want to spend over $200/night including parking, if at all possible.

Any tips on seat location or where to get better tickets for the Cubs game?

Any other Chicago suggestions? I lived there for an internship in college, so I've done a lot of the regular tourist things (Field, Art, Pier, river tours, etc).

Thanks!

If they have one going on the weekend of the game, I would suggest doing a Wrigley Field Tour. As a Cubs fan, it was honestly the most amazing experience I have ever had. You get access to everything, and you learn stuff you can't find or hear anywhere else. If I remeber correctly it was only 25 bucks and there were three or four going on at one time. They day I was there I was lucky enough to sit in Santo's chair, something I will never forget.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I stayed here Downtown Chicago Hotels - BEST WESTERN PLUS River North Hotel - Chicago IL several years ago. It is the only Downtown hotel with FREE parking. Great location - we walked everywhere. Looks like rates start at $159 for your dates. It's certainly not fancy, but it's more than adequate (at least as of 6 years ago).

This is my favorite place to stay when I go to Cubs games. Easy access to everywhere and the free underground parking is a huge savings. The Congress wasn't a terrible place either when I stayed there a few years ago.

If you go to Hotels.com do not book at the Purple Hotel. They used to make it sound amazing and the place is a dump. I booked a weekend there several years ago for a last minute trip with my dad and it was AWFUL. I guess the name probably should have tipped me off :confused:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
On Priceline, you can get 4 star hotel felix for 99 or less a night. I've stayed there, and its a high class contemporary boutique hotel. There is a starbucks two blocks away, and Michigan Ave is just a few blocks away. Their valet parking is the usual 35 or so, but its in/out, worth the convenience imo.

Always tons of great places to eat in chicago, but my new favorite, a great place in summer, is the Purple Pig on Michigan.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If they have one going on the weekend of the game, I would suggest doing a Wrigley Field Tour. As a Cubs fan, it was honestly the most amazing experience I have ever had. You get access to everything, and you learn stuff you can't find or hear anywhere else. If I remeber correctly it was only 25 bucks and there were three or four going on at one time. They day I was there I was lucky enough to sit in Santo's chair, something I will never forget.

I want to do that someday. It looked pricier than $25 when I looked, but I might not have been looking in the right place.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron