Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Love the add. Now here is to hoping we get one more big in the portal, assuming at least one guy transfers out, which pretty much always happens every year. I see this guy as a Tre King replacement more than anything and I'm hoping Watson makes that big jump into next year like Ward did this year. He has many of the same tools as Ward to pull it off. Give JT time to develop more next year and let another transfer big fill the Big Rob role. If all that happens, WOW, we will be dangerous. If we don't add another big, we should still be alright, but could use a bit more depth down low.
I like the Tre King comp (with less 3pt shooting) but 4 inches taller and 20lbs heavier. Dishon is going to help out our half court offense with his low post presence. He is also a 70+ FT shooter this year.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Meh, he ended up at Charlotte because of the transfer portal in the first place. The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away.

The portal does have a double-edged sword feel to it. I still think there needs to be some level of commitment, because every year it feels like open season where every player on your team feels like they could abruptly become a free agent. Previously you expected players to transfer if it was obvious that they didn't get along with their teammates or coaches, or if they weren't getting the playing time they thought they should be getting.

Now we have to worry about players transferring if they're too successful but still have work to do to improve their NBA prospects. It doesn't happen to us very frequently because of ISU's position as a P6 school, but when it does (e.g. Tyrese Hunter) we can at least begin to know what it feels like to be a non-P6 school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The portal does have a double-edged sword feel to it. I still think there needs to be some level of commitment, because every year it feels like open season where every player on your team feels like they could abruptly become a free agent. Previously you expected players to transfer if it was obvious that they didn't get along with their teammates or coaches, or if they weren't getting the playing time they thought they should be getting.

Now we have to worry about players transferring if they're too successful but still have work to do to improve their NBA prospects. It doesn't happen to us very frequently because of ISU's position as a P6 school, but when it does (e.g. Tyrese Hunter) we can at least begin to know what it feels like to be a non-P6 school.

Those P6 players have to ask themselves a hard question of if they want to max out their NBA/WNBA aspirations or max out their college payday.

So far in mbb and wbb the high major to high major transfer does not seem to be worth the risk of giving up a position as star player for a winning NCAA tournament high major team. I mean that girl who transferred from Louisville to LSU was literally crying on the bench yesterday playing against Middle Tennessee State.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
One positive I think has come out of this is more players stay longer in college & more teams are comprised of older players. Now the extra Covid year nonsense combined with the portal & such has magnified this absurdly (playing collegiately for 6+ years) and I'm not justifying, but I find it refreshing that teams are beating these wonder teams comprised mainly of one-and-doners (here's looking at you, Calipari).

This is another good point. One could argue that the relaxed transfer rules have actually brought more parity to the sport, because players who are not making an impact on the P6 level could "transfer down" without feeling like they'd be taking a risk by losing a year of eligibility. But time will tell over the next few years as COVID players start graduating and we start to see the return to normalcy in terms of player eligibility.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
The door swings both ways.

Freshmen/sophomores from P6 programs who didn't get the playing time or the coaching they wanted don't have the disincentive of the redshirt year/one-time transfer constraint on them.

Drop down. Play for a coach you like. Kick butt for a year or two against lesser competition.

Then maybe pop back up if you want to.

In the past, those guys might have waited until very late in their careers to actually play.
Yep, look at Tristan Enaruna.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Could one of the metric geeks ( term of endearment) let us know what kind of defensive metrics Jackson has?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Looks like he has more offensive skill than Rob and hason so should help open up the offense too. Not too worried about defense as our system and coaches will get him to where he needs to be

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Let's just say, mid major fans are not happy with NIL and transfers. They don't seem to be mad at the players themselves as much as the whole system.

View attachment 126312

I'm afraid it's the new food chain in the jungle. Blue bloods poach the P5 non-blue bloods, and the P5 non-blue bloods poach the mid-majors.

We just need to keep the blue bloods away from Tamin, Milan, Keshon, and Curtis.