Charlotte Transfer Dishon Jackson commits to the Cyclones!

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Let's just say, mid major fans are not happy with NIL and transfers. They don't seem to be mad at the players themselves as much as the whole system.

View attachment 126312
All a player accepting a scholarship & playing at any "Mid-Major" will plan to do going forward will be to play 1-2 years and display the skills to then move on to a higher level school/league & getting a payday to boot. They will be the minor leagues for the top ones. Don't know if I think this will be healthy for college BB going forward (tend to believe something needs done as I'd agree with most points those upset how it guts these mid-major teams), but so far relieved (selfishly) we are at the level of the 'acquiring' teams.

One positive I think has come out of this is more players stay longer in college & more teams are comprised of older players. Now the extra Covid year nonsense combined with the portal & such has magnified this absurdly (playing collegiately for 6+ years) and I'm not justifying, but I find it refreshing that teams are beating these wonder teams comprised mainly of one-and-doners (here's looking at you, Calipari).

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Let's just say, mid major fans are not happy with NIL and transfers. They don't seem to be mad at the players themselves as much as the whole system.

View attachment 126312
While the deck appears to be stacked against mid majors more than ever, it is interesting that they've performed at an all-time high level in the NCAA tourney the past 2 years. IIRC last year set the record for double digit seed upsets, and this year surpassed last year.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
This guy looks like a beast!!! Not sure we’ve had a big with his exact skill set recently but his body reminds me of Royce White. He’s going to be a force!!!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
While the deck appears to be stacked against mid majors more than ever, it is interesting that they've performed at an all-time high level in the NCAA tourney the past 2 years. IIRC last year set the record for double digit seed upsets, and this year surpassed last year.

The door swings both ways.

Freshmen/sophomores from P6 programs who didn't get the playing time or the coaching they wanted don't have the disincentive of the redshirt year/one-time transfer constraint on them.

Drop down. Play for a coach you like. Kick butt for a year or two against lesser competition.

Then maybe pop back up if you want to.

In the past, those guys might have waited until very late in their careers to actually play.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It's really the low majors that get crushed. Mid-majors aren't actually in an awful spot. Sure, if they bring a guys in and he's good the odds are hes jumping up to a power conference and getting paid. However, those who are sharp get to pull from two transfer pools. Low-majors who aren't quite good enough to jump all the way up to the power conferences and then the power conference guys looking to drop down for playing time.

Grand Canyon is good example. They had 6 transfers in their top 7 players. 3 transferred "up" from Presbyterian, Southeast Missouri and Georgia State respectively. 3 transferred "down" from Depaul (and Kansas previously), Arizona State and Oregon. So those mid-major teams can fill up with some really good talent.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

View attachment 126312

We went ballistic when we lost ONE player we wanted to build around who happened to have a superior player right behind him as a true freshman.

The WBB situation was kind of miraculous filling in but our fans were understandably frustrated when half the team transferred last year.

My guess is all these passionate mid major fans would tell themselves they had the possibility of building into a Gonzaga or St Mary's and now that's kind of a pipe dream. I'm still waiting for the story of how FAU held that team together. I don't beleive there is 10 million dollars a year lying around for every minor Florida program that has no real fan base because "Florida has money". If that were the case Pepperdine would be Duke within a year or two.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
If Fish surprises and develops this offseason he and this transfer are going to absolutely ruin some peoples nights. Those are two BAMF! Pardon my french.
My first impression was this kid could be another Abdel Nader. Hope his development tracks duely's!

Dishon Jackson should fit the team nicely - athletic big who can be a scoring threat and help bridge losing BRE/Ward. Don't know what Rock is because we didn't see anything other than towel waving with the CEO this season, but hopefully he's made strides and ready to get minutes next year.

TJ has always been able to get the Jimmy's & Joe's, and he's shown he can get them to buy in and develop. Future is amazingly bright for our program right now.

Reactions: t-noah

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
More bench depth for UConn? hahaha
I was wondering if he could suit up against Illinois!

I've only watched a couple short highlight videos but Dishon's game looks like exactly what we need. Not as much bounce as Hason but he's huge, rebounds and protects the rim, and can score a little. Great pickup! If he can make that 15-footer in the Big 12, we will be a serious problem next year.

Reactions: t-noah

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
All great points on portal transfers & the non-major schools. It is all still evolving, so much is to be determined. However, to me it seems more teams are competitive & the tourney has ticked back up in entertainment levels. Just ecstatic to add Mr Jackson to the team. Exciting times

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My first impression was this kid could be another Abdel Nader. Hope his development tracks duely's!

Kid that thick and strong (Fish)...if they can develop a shot, that's the kind of player who can really dominate at college level but no risk of leaving early and won't have every blue blood sniffing around with NIL $$$. I look at Sharp for Houston, I'd take guys like that left and right if I could find them. I'm sure TJ knows if a player has that upside or not.

• Agree
Reactions: 247cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My take from the short clips is that it will be nice having a big that can take you off the dribble from the high post since we play through that position so much on offense. Tre is decent at it but it's not an area where BRE and Ward excel. He looks to be a decent passer out of that spot as well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron