CFTV: Bill Fennelly Media Day Highlights

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
As usual, BF was as non-informative as usual saying and repeating his usual stuff. Who knows how much any of the new players will play. Of course the excuses about recruiting stood out. Bludder certainly hasn't been having issues with recruiting to the state of Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
As usual, BF was as non-informative as usual saying and repeating his usual stuff. Who knows how much any of the new players will play. Of course the excuses about recruiting stood out. Bludder certainly hasn't been having issues with recruiting to the state of Iowa.

They haven't had an official practice, so how can he truly judge how much the newcomers will play?

Who cares about Bluder and her recruiting of Iowa kids.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Half of the Iowa roster turned down Iowa state offers so yeah I Care. And Bill Fennelly was really upset about a couple of them so he cared to.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I also didn't care for the recruiting excuses and the "you have to get creative to get kids to come to ISU". That is total ******* ********. It's like an insult to every highly regarded kid we have gotten and we have several on the team currently, just not in this freshman class. I get it that they had a bust in recruiting for 2016, admit and it and move on, don't diss Iowa and ISU.

Reactions: runbikeswim

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Many of you will be embarrassed when any of these players turn to gold. This isn't the first year Iowa players have gone elsewhere. It's also not the first year our best recruits come from out of state. Sit back, chill and just enjoy for goodness sake!

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I agree with Cous, we need to sit back and relax a little here. What is so special about Iowa kids? The good ones are far and few between so if one or two pick another school then get over it. From what I saw last season Iowa's freshman did not impress me. How much our freshmen are going to play this season that depends on how they adapt to Ames, Iowa. But our depth and versatility will get us a long way in the Big 12 this season. So, lets wait until the season starts to write off the team and especially the freshman class.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, BF and the staff are certainly going all-in after Ashley Joens of City High. I reffed a few of her games with the All-Iowa Attack this summer. Easy to see why she's ranked so high. What a guard.
Then we have Berg and Veerbeek still. Lots of Bluder-Fennelly showdowns...

• Agree
Reactions: runbikeswim

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Well, BF and the staff are certainly going all-in after Ashley Joens of City High. I reffed a few of her games with the All-Iowa Attack this summer. Easy to see why she's ranked so high. What a guard.
Then we have Berg and Veerbeek still. Lots of Bluder-Fennelly showdowns...

I hope he turns the tide, some of these hurt.
Alexa Kastanek
Megan Gustafson
Hanna Stewart
Kathleen Doyle
Bre Cera
Makenzie Meyer

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I thought this was a really good class? Now it's a bust?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
And the next two years may see the most Iowa talent in recent memory. So there's that...

Bill in IC watching Joens will be a prelude to Bluder in Des Moines watching Zoe Young. As for 2017-2918-2019 talent the only ones I have heard of are Lexy Koudelka, Grace Berg, Paige Bradford, Grace Cumming, McGraw, Zoe Young and Joens. And only Young and Joens are big names with Zoe maybe the best. Others?

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Hmmmm....Bill doesn't hand offers out casually. I was told staff were almost upset about Meyer as Greenfield. But sources exaggerate.

Could be Bill was PO'd, don't know and need to look forward.

I love to watch Iowa Kids play for my school and do well. But what I really care about is having the best we can get and have a tradition of winning.

I think Bluder did well selling to Iowa kids despite her program not being that much better than Iowa State lately. (2014-15 had 26 wins, went to the Final Four under Stringer and a Big Ten Champs Conf & RS three times).

Recruiting setbacks saw an influx of kids from outside the states shows they were talented and much easier to get to Iowa State seeing the relentless recruiting pressure on Iowa/U.S. kids. A interesting change, but if they prove no better than U.S. kids it will be nothing but a curiosity.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Hmmmm....Bill doesn't hand offers out casually. I was told staff were almost upset about Meyer as Greenfield. But sources exaggerate.
Think that is an exaggeration. The issue with Greenfield was that she led them to believe she would be a Cyclone so they followed her for four years and then decided to go to Stanford. If I remember correctly Meyer was always a Hawk lean and committed to them very early (maybe freshman year). Also interesting that Lyndsey Fennelly had trained her for quite a while.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
They recruited Meyer hard, although she was a Hawk fan as a kid. But that's just coming from AAU parents and her high school coaches...
And there will be a battle for Megan as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, Hannah Stewart was offered by ISU, but not "pursued hard?" What does that mean? They didn't really mean to?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The issue with Greenfield was that she led them to believe she would be a Cyclone so they followed her for four years

I Knew one on the coaching staff during that period and in Greenfield's Senior year her stock rose and she made it clear she had options. At best she was under 80% ISU according to my source. She got a great education and had good experiences at Stanford.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Bill in IC watching Joens will be a prelude to Bluder in Des Moines watching Zoe Young. As for 2017-2918-2019 talent the only ones I have heard of are Lexy Koudelka, Grace Berg, Paige Bradford, Grace Cumming, McGraw, Zoe Young and Joens. And only Young and Joens are big names with Zoe maybe the best. Others?

Sounds like ISU isn't interested in Koudelka which is a damn shame. He's always about getting the best kids from Iowa and in the post position area Lexy is pretty good. Tonight in addition to her normal double double in points and rebounds she also had about 4-5 steals and assists. She can do it all score, rebound, pass and defend.