CFH Underestimated...

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Wrong. It means that this team has a long ways to go if it wants to see a post season tourney. It means that this team can't just show up to beat a mediocre MVC team. It means that for this team to progress it needs to play better defense.

You know what? You're right, this team does have a long way to go to hope to make a tourney, just like everyone that doesn't have their head up their *** has been saying since last season. I'd like to see how many of the drama queens on here flipping out are the ones who months ago were talking NCAA, Conference title hunt, etc.

I think there's 2 camps. Those who had realistic expectations and understand this **** will happen, and those who were all ******* roses and marigolds, that are now looking for a straight razor.

Reactions: ca4cy and Cydwinder

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
You know what? You're right, this team does have a long way to go to hope to make a tourney, just like everyone that doesn't have their head up their *** has been saying since last season. I'd like to see how many of the drama queens on here flipping out are the ones who months ago were talking NCAA, Conference title hunt, etc.

I think there's 2 camps. Those who had realistic expectations and understand this **** will happen, and those who were all ******* roses and marigolds, that are now looking for a straight razor.
I agree that the team has a long way to go, but ISU played really bad on both ends of the floor. Combine that with Drake playing very well and Drake making clutch shots and it resulted in a loss. Everyone keeps saying Drake is a bad team, but they are ignoring that it is an instate rivalry game as well. ISU's season is not over. This could be a blessing in disguise.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I don't want to see us switch a guard to a post intentionally again all year. Other teams pressure the ball handler with both the guard and post defender on that screen and Drake did it pretty well against us. We want the players to take this loss as a learning experience, hopefully CFH does as well.

Well, now you have something to equate expectations to.

Good coaches learn from their mistakes. If we continue to see the same things over and over, like we did with mac the mediocre or chewy, then all of the Mayor haters can feel vindicated.

For now, remember that he is still new at this, and growing pains have to occur. They did for Jacobson at UNI. I am even sure that franny the great probably made a misstep or two early in his career.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

Well I was hopeful of an NCAA tourney but I'm not calling on the season. I do agree with your analysis for the most part, you just might have to add a third camp for those who expect great things but don't put a gun to their head after the second game of the season.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Do you all realize that Allen had a hip pointer and is not fully recovered? I don't see him going 0-7 from behind the arc every game and 2-13 from the field. I've seen him make that little step forward pull back and shoot over and over in the CCL. He looked awful shooting it tonight. I can't wait for him to be 100%. Only player's that did "good" tonight were Royce, McGee, and Babb with the latter two only taking 12 shots combined.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Getting outcoached by Phelps is embarrassing. Hopefully everyone on the bench learned something from this game. ISU needs post season big time. There is a lot of time to get it together...

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Wow two games in and the divide is already forming. If this season goes south after all the hype and talk among us how this was going to be big...it's going to be a long drawn out meltdown

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
when you get out-coached by Mark Phelps, that's pretty ******* pathetic

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
He also underestimated how much Drake was going to exploit our terrible defensive switch. Or did he overestimate how well we would execute it? Hmmm.

Exactly what I kept thinking whenever Scotty switched to a big man and they went to that guy.

Another thing which baffled me was why Scotty was instead of Bubu at the end guarding their point guard. Whatever Bubu's limitations, he's one of our quickest defenders and certainly better guarding their PG than Scotty. I was sure we were going to defense/offense substitution pattern after the time out.

Of course, it's a moot issue if we hit a half-way free throw percentage.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's way too early to judge whether Hoiberg can "coach" or not. As of now, we have no quarterback. That is a big problem on O and leads to problems on D as well. Right now, we're a fast/small team that plays slow tempo because we have no PG.

This is going to be a rough year. We will struggle to win games away from Hilton and will probably lose a few of those too.

Next year, will tell a lot more about how good of a coach Fred is, because all of these guys will have been in the program for 2-3 years, and he will have a complete team which includes a PG.

If next year's team looks as lost, then we have problems.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
It's way too early to judge whether Hoiberg can "coach" or not. As of now, we have no quarterback. That is a big problem on O and leads to problems on D as well. Right now, we're a fast/small team that plays slow tempo because we have no PG.

This is going to be a rough year. We will struggle to win games away from Hilton and will probably lose a few of those too.

Next year, will tell a lot more about how good of a coach Fred is, because all of these guys will have been in the program for 2-3 years, and he will have a complete team which includes a PG.

If next year's team looks as lost, then we have problems.

Yep always wait until next year:SLEEP:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
All I see is excuses thats the way ISU fans are

And what do you want from them? Should we fire Hoiberg because we know this experiment won't work? Should we ask our new president to fire Pollard?

It's early, we don't know what will happen, but we do know that we have talent we have not seen, arguably ever. Give it time and see if this was the exception or was it the rule.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
IMO Drake played well, and beat us. We are not at the point where any game is a gimme. They are going to lose some games, and they might as well come early. i have faith in Fred, and the players. They are proud and will fix what they need to. As far as X's and O's I thought that on D we definitely did not execute, and on Offense just did not get easy shots to fall which needs to happen. In addition, we need to work on free throw shooting.

It's our first road game and did not really surprise me we struggled. Disappointed, sure, but not surprised.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Good grief...did anyone actually watch the game? How many bunnies did we miss? What did we shoot from 3 pt range? How is that all coaching? No question the team looked bad...no question Fred and his staff have to shoulder some blame but for gods sake if we even have an average night shooting the ball we win this by 5-6 points and the talk today is more about how we got our first scare out of the way and took a good punch on the road. I don't care who you are you can't shoot the ball like that and win on the road..against anyone.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Good grief...did anyone actually watch the game? How many bunnies did we miss? What did we shoot from 3 pt range? How is that all coaching? No question the team looked bad...no question Fred and his staff have to shoulder some blame but for gods sake if we even have an average night shooting the ball we win this by 5-6 points and the talk today is more about how we got our first scare out of the way and took a good punch on the road. I don't care who you are you can't shoot the ball like that and win on the road..against anyone.

I was there and watched the post game. CFH looked very dejected after the game. CFH understands there are nights were shots aren't going to fall but what I think he and fans are disgusted about is that the defense was awful, just flat out terrible. Also the intensity/focus needed to win a road game was not there and it wasn't there the first game either.

To me I don't care that much about the missed easy shots or FT's but the poor defensive effort and lack of understanding what needs to be done on offense is very concerning.

cyclonewoes

Dec 12, 2008
Ankeny
After listening to the post game with CFH I feel a bit better, he was extremely disappointed and put the lack of preparation on his shoulders. He stated they better come to work on Thursday... We need to relize we have a young coach, talent has been upgraded(minus a point guard) it will take time. We need to stop trying the 2 man NBA offense, and stop playing like an nba defense.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
After listening to the post game with CFH I feel a bit better, he was extremely disappointed and put the lack of preparation on his shoulders. He stated they better come to work on Thursday... We need to relize we have a young coach, talent has been upgraded(minus a point guard) it will take time. We need to stop trying the 2 man NBA offense, and stop playing like an nba defense.

I take it you don't watch much NBA because I can't remember watching an NBA game where they don't hedge hard on pick and rolls and just switch.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Eh, this is just another case of runaway message board hype. Our bball has been so bad for so long that any glimmer of hope got blown way out of proportion. Look at the facts. There seem to be a lot of internet rumblings that we lost the scrimmage to Nebby. We didn't look that strong in our exhibition. We didn't close out strong against Lehigh. Drake speaks for itself.

College hoops is a guard's game, we have no PG. Our head coach, while a legend at ISU, has a coaching resume that could easily fit on his business card. We have a large crop of transfers, Royce, who has never played at the college level, and the rest were certainly not standouts at their former schools.

Take off the cardinal color glasses and look at the facts and tell me that this looks like the recipe for a team to go from the bottom of the league to the NCAA tourney in a year.