CCL RECAP: Marial Shayok looking to improve during sit-out year

benwied

Jun 19, 2015
I didn't realize he was up to 180, but it doesn't surprise me.

He really impressed me in the 2OT loss last Thursday at FBBC. Never let up late in regulation and hit some very timely big shots.

Obviously CCL doesn't transfer to B12 but I'm definitely excited for the possibilities of his off year and seeing him play next season.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames

I'm predicting 13 and 4 kind of stats from Marial. Toss up between him and Wigginton being leading scorer on the team.
Also to be devil's advocate, Prohm did hype up Weiler-Babb a bit as well.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I'm predicting 13 and 4 kind of stats from Marial. Toss up between him and Wigginton being leading scorer on the team.

The difference between Babb and Shayok though is that Shayok has already proven himself at the Power 5 level. I think that's where i'm at with Shayok stats next year. He's going to be a dynamic player at both ends for us. Huge pick up.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Fair point but I think his comments on NWB are more based on potential.
There's a bit more substance to his quotes with Shayok as he's a proven high major player putting up 9/2.5/1 in 20mpg for a tournament team.

• Agree
Reactions: Gibbon and CyTwins

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Last year NWB knew his role on a senior heavy team. I find it funny how people have already written him off. I guess I'm in the minority but I think NWB is going to make a big jump this year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Last year NWB knew his role on a senior heavy team. I find it funny how people have already written him off. I guess I'm in the minority but I think NWB is going to make a big jump this year.

I agree Babb did fine last year. I think people doubt him because most fans only look at scoring numbers.

He was actually a very efficient scorer, in addition to being a good defender and rebounder.

He also has a pretty decent handle, making him extremely versatile.

I think Babb will continue to improve too.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I agree Babb did fine last year. I think people doubt him because most fans only look at scoring numbers.

He was actually a very efficient scorer, in addition to being a good defender and rebounder.

He also has a pretty decent handle, making him extremely versatile.

I think Babb will continue to improve too.

Well, scoring numbers and his lousy percentage from 3. 22.7 percent isn't going to turn anybody's head.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I think he can be a 18+ scorer in our system. His offensive game is very hard to handle, and he will be unleashed.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Well, scoring numbers and his lousy percentage from 3. 22.7 percent isn't going to turn anybody's head.

He shot 31% last year in a small sample size and got better towards the end of the year. I'm not willing to say he's a lousy 3 point shooter.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Where did you get Babb's 3-point percentage? Not that it was great, but according to cyclones.com it was 30.8%.

http://www.cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8162

I took it off the Rivals site. Maybe it was wrong? I see what it was. The Rivals stats were for the regular season. It did not count the 5 post season games, (three in the Big XII tourney and 2 in the NCAA)

Last edited:
Reactions: IASTATE07

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames

Agreed, he knew the role he needed to play. It was his first collegiate season playing a meaningful amount of minutes. But even with some very talented upperclassmen ahead of him, I would think a guy with "the most NBA potential" would have played a larger role on the team.

I also believe he's going to take a leap this year and be a guy we need on the floor in the last 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron