CBS Sports streaming is trash

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It is frustrating needing to provide my credentials and figure out an alternative way to view it for a service I already pay for when they are showing a different game than I want to see, even though it is scheduled to be on my primary device.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Without streaming we would have had to watch the Utah/SDSU OT game. Streaming made it possible to watch the entire ISU game. I love streaming!

dmb341

Nov 23, 2009
Asked in the other "CBS Sports Network" thread, but:

Anyone have an idea how to watch a replay that includes the first quarter? Obviously the DVR missed the beginning of the game that CBSSN didn't air. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to watch replays via CBS.com/cbssports.com/CBS Sports app/Paramount+.

Reactions: Cyclones03

Cyclones03

Nov 12, 2012
Carroll
Asked in the other "CBS Sports Network" thread, but:

Anyone have an idea how to watch a replay that includes the first quarter? Obviously the DVR missed the beginning of the game that CBSSN didn't air. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to watch replays via CBS.com/cbssports.com/CBS Sports app/Paramount+.
I'm struggling to find this as well. Can't find anything so far. Usually the Big 12 posts full replays and condensed replays at: https://big12sports.com/watch/?Live=53, but nothing yet for this Iowa State game.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Channel 762 on mediacom....missed the first drive thanks to OT in the earlier game, but the rest went without a hitch.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I understanding streaming is the way things are headed, but boy do I not like thinking about the exposure great teams like ISU can miss out on by being on these platforms that even dedicated fans can't access easily.

The key is getting on something like Amazon that pretty much everybody already has. Other than that, yes I agree with you.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We have superior internet service from our local company and streaming is never an issue with YTTV or anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have Mediacom, but had to go to the app because of the OT's. The featured ISU game on the CBS Sports App took me to the other OT game, but I eventually got the ISU game on. Through some digging around.

Until it just randomly cut out. I took that as a sign it was back on the regular channel, but I didn't get any warning.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
We have superior internet service from our local company and streaming is never an issue with YTTV or anything else.

Our internet speed is fantastic. Ditched Mediacom 6 months ago for a local and its been amazing. I even checked our speed and it came back "very fast"...yet YTTV picture is not good. ESPN, CBS..a few of the NFL games this last wkd were pretty good but just a touch worse than when I had cabel. The ISU/Iowa game was almost unwatchable (for picture reasons alone).

Not sure what to do...is there a setting or something on YTTV I'm unaware of?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Our internet speed is fantastic. Ditched Mediacom 6 months ago for a local and its been amazing. I even checked our speed and it came back "very fast"...yet YTTV picture is not good. ESPN, CBS..a few of the NFL games this last wkd were pretty good but just a touch worse than when I had cabel. The ISU/Iowa game was almost unwatchable (for picture reasons alone).

Honestly don't know- We need techies on here to chime in with some options that may be causing your bad pic problems.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

How is the image quality when streaming using the ESPN app instead of the YTTV app?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
How is the image quality when streaming using the ESPN app instead of the YTTV app?

I have an LG tv, which does not support ESPN Plus so I have no idea. I have to watch ESPN Plus on my Samsung in my bedroom. It's just wierd, because Netflix and Hulu all have amazing pictures on this tv but not YTTV.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
The reason for this post was not the picture quality. Some of you shared my experience.

When the SDSU/UU game went to overtime, the announcers said you could stream the start of the ISU game on cbssports.com/cbssn. Well, I had the CBS Sports app on my iPad & iPhone & assumed it could also be streamed on the app. I went to the app & the ISU game was at the very top. I tapped on it & it took me to the SDSU/UU game. I closed & restarted the app thinking it may just be glitchy. It did the same thing, so I figured that stream was just a direct stream of the broadcast channel.

So, on my laptop using Chrome, I went to cbssports.com/cbssn & selected to stream the ISU game, which again, was at the top of the page just like in the app. I clicked on it & it sent me to the page where I allow my YTTV account to pair with CBSSN & then again... & again... & again, over & over. I cleared my cookies & cache on my browser & tried again with the same result. Then I tried Firefox. Then I tried Chrome on my iPad & then Safari on my iPad. By then, ISU already had their first TD.

That's when I came here & started this thread. Then I checked the latest posts & found someone who said there was a second listing of the ISU game on the app & if you select that one, it would actually take you to the ISU game, which it did... & thirty seconds later SDSU scored their 2-pt try & the game was over.

It was all just very frustrating... kinda like when we missed two of the last two & a half minutes of the UNI game, which is the only reason I subscribed to ESPN+ & Disney+...

I'd like to say we're pretty lucky that basically EVERY college football game is on TV now. I could say its pretty cool that I can watch a game from home, at the office, riding in a vehicle, out camping, on my television or phone or laptop or tablet, etc. There are tons of moving parts to make this all happen. But, these are BILLION dollar companies that basically rule the world now. Unless we're under attack, or there's a natural disaster, the **** better work is all I'm saying...

BTW, for those of you with YTTV quality issues: there are basically two tiers of YTTV service. The cheapest one is only 1040p & I believe some of the channels are actually just 720p. There's a second tier that costs like $40 more that is 4k. When I subscribed to YTTV two years ago, I was pretty disappointed in the quality. It was partially my fault. I didn't even check. I was just looking for what provider could get me the most college football & motocross. Back then most of the channels were only 720p. You're gonna have to upgrade if you want better quality picture.