Cast Iron Cooking

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Here's a quick reference guide

1 - Paper - nothing says "I love you" like a card you picked up last minute at Walmart because you forgot your first anniversary
2 - Cotton - hastily wrap up an old t-shirt of yours that she already wears because you forgot your anniversary again
3 - Leather - handcuffs and whips (3 years is enough to reveal your true self)
4 - Fruit/Flowers - both easily purchased at your local Hy-Vee
5 - Wood - no explanation needed
6 - Candy - this is a win-win for you. Eating some of it helps her diet. Remind her of your thoughtfulness.
7 - Copper - copper cookware for the mf-ing win!
8 - Bronze - that trophy you won went you went bowling with the guys on your anniversary instead of going to that expensive restaurant? Perfect gift!
9 - Pottery - that crappy ashtray you made in first grade makes a great spoon rest for your beloved
10 - Tin - who doesn't love popcorn? Honestly
11- Steel - you can't go cheap on the anniversary vacuum
12 - Silk - gotta go with womens' delicates here. Remember the golden rule. Less is more.
13 - Lace - when your wife finds those panties in the glove box? Surprise! Happy Anniversary!
14 - Ivory - rare studio cut of Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney's "Ebony and Ivory"
15 - Crystal - "Honey, remember how we talked about being more adventurous? Meet Crystal. She's a dancer"
20 - China - this is where you're gonna have to move to if you follow my advice
25 - Silver - wrap up the fillings she's knocked out of your head for the past 25 years
50 - Gold - you may as well treat yourself to some fancy gold leaf on your casket

I'll have to show this one to the wife. We just passed 4 years and had a chuckle looking over what we were supposed to be getting each other. I told her next year she'll be getting a nice 2x4.

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Although those things are pretty heavy, and I don't think she's got the upper body strength to properly wield it...

You sound overconfident....she will find the inner strength!

tumblr_lvpcgzFEQQ1qcddlw.gif

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm thinking I'll pick up a 2-burner griddle, as the little guy likes French Toast and we can only do about 2 pieces at a time in our other pans.

Married guys, will I survive if I buy it for my wife as a birthday/Christmas present? Or will I just be smacked with it?

I did buy my wife a vacuum a few years back but it WAS a roomba. Imagine my relief when she absolutely loved it. Dodged another bullet. I've been on a lucky streak for 26 years and counting - OR she has just lost interest in making me a better version of myself.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
FWIW - I have a stainless steel set that has an aluminum center. You have to heat it to the point that a drop of water sizzles without wetting the pan (ledenfrost effect - the water is floating on steam and looks like it is on an air hockey table). before adding oil. It does prevent any sticking.

I had to google this to make sure I didn't have bad info. The article I found said to season stainless just like cast iron. Said to use coconut oil, and to let the cookware cool completely before wiping the oil out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Used the big Calphalon cast iron pan to brown onions, sausage and beef for my tailgate chili last night. It's the biggest skillet we have and I grew up cooking on cast iron so I am more comfortable there.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We have a nice set of Stainless pans, but I can't get them properly seasoned. Or not seasoned enough for eggs.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have 4 different size CI skillets. The smallest is just barely big enough for an egg. The largest is for frying a whole chicken. The next largest is probably my favorite - been in the family for as long as I can remember - glass smooth cooking surface (that is the key).

I wash them in soapy water, but just the Dawn, hot water, and scour with a pad then rinse and wipe dry with a paper towel. A brand new one would require some work to season. I had a new one once and the cooking surface was not smooth, I eventually got rid of it.