Casey's Fountain Pop...why does it suck?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I prefer the Kum & Go fountain pop, but there is a Casey's in walking distance to the baseball field so that is where I usually wind up and if I am going to be sitting out at baseball games forever it is just fine.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Cans > Fountain > bottles

snoop.gif

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
First off, I love Casey's. Their pizza = awesome. But their fountain pop has always sucked in my opinion. (Diet Dew being the main culprit) QT and K&G always have the normal taste but Casey's seems to be watered down or something?

Last night I was driving back from Minnesoda and stopped in at a Superamerica or something like that and grabbed a fountain drink for my gf. When i was filling it up I thought, this looks like a "Casey's" fountain from the equipment. So when I got back in the car I asked my gf how the Diet Dew tasted, not sharing any of that info with her. Her response: "Tastes like Casey's"

So my question, is this an equipment issue? A certain manufacturer that blends it differently? Can the mixes be thinned or thickened to adjust to taste?

Thanks for anyone in the know.

are you my step dad?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I've always found Hy-Vee Gas to have the best fountain sodas. The one on the corner of Lincoln and Grand in Ames is very good

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
K&G $1 deal is the greatest thing in the world. Also when they have the flavor shots and Coke Zero. Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero from the fountain FTW.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I prefer the Kum & Go fountain pop, but there is a Casey's in walking distance to the baseball field so that is where I usually wind up and if I am going to be sitting out at baseball games forever it is just fine.

Carvers totally off topic but did you how did the pie sales go? I think you made like 38 or so.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It could be the settings they have the fountain at. They could be adding more carbonation an less syrup. Or maybe they are not adding enough syrup.

Also, they may no be cleaning the lines enough as others have mentioned. The little nozzle that the soda comes out are easy to clean.
Also, you can accidentally alter the brix (ratio of syrup to carbonated water) yourself by filling your cup in short spurts instead of a steady mixed flow.

Reactions: usedcarguy

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Carvers totally off topic but did you how did the pie sales go? I think you made like 38 or so.

Oh fine. They got orders first so we only made what we needed. Delivery was a bit of a challenge with keeping the creme ones relatively cool though. I made the boys do all of that though.

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
First off, I love Casey's. Their pizza = awesome. But their fountain pop has always sucked in my opinion. (Diet Dew being the main culprit) QT and K&G always have the normal taste but Casey's seems to be watered down or something?

Last night I was driving back from Minnesoda and stopped in at a Superamerica or something like that and grabbed a fountain drink for my gf. When i was filling it up I thought, this looks like a "Casey's" fountain from the equipment. So when I got back in the car I asked my gf how the Diet Dew tasted, not sharing any of that info with her. Her response: "Tastes like Casey's"

So my question, is this an equipment issue? A certain manufacturer that blends it differently? Can the mixes be thinned or thickened to adjust to taste?

Thanks for anyone in the know.

Nothing better than a fountain Coke from Mcdonalds. Do not know why but it is awesome.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Nothing better than a fountain Coke from Mcdonalds. Do not know why but it is awesome.
Couldn't agree more. They use a different ratio of water to Coke syrup than most. 4.75:1, others use 5.25:1. They also receive their syrup in bulk 75 gallon deliveries instead of bag in box. They also use high end water filtration systems and have processes in place to sanitize the lines frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: isu83

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Caseys is the bees knees for everything. If i'm hung over and need to go to work, a fountain pepsi does the trick from caseys.

breakfast pizza doesnt hurt either.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

As someone else mentioned, McDonald's studied this and figured out that a more concentrated syrup:water ratio resulted in the optimal product when they factored in the average amount of melted ice in a customer's drink. I agree that Coke from a McDonald's fountain is as good as it gets short of an ice cold Mexican Coke.

• Informative
Reactions: isu83

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
caseys in my hometown, every single time, the mountain dew comes out for a second, then it turns clear and fizzy and you have to dump it out. I seriously want to break the machine.

The real enemy is the damn lid holders. Whos brilliant idea was it to put them in that hole with the spring loaded lid, you never pull out one lid, always about 3, then half of them break because the trap slams shut on them. I bet I have ruined thousands of 32 oz lids in my lifetime.

• Agree
Reactions: ken

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Couldn't agree more. They use a different ratio of water to Coke syrup than most. 4.75:1, others use 5.25:1. They also receive their syrup in bulk 75 gallon deliveries instead of bag in box. They also use high end water filtration systems and have processes in place to sanitize the lines frequently.

Their filtration system is second to none. You can taste it in the ice. I swear someday I'm going to order ice water than my usual diet coke. lol