Cap City gets underway tonight

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
-Jeff Beverly not playing until the beginning of July. (According to him)

-Lindel Wigginton, assuming he makes the U19 Canadian team, won't be playing until after July 9th. He'll probably play in 1 regular season game and then the playoffs.

-Jakolby Long hasn't been cleared yet from his shoulder surgery and isn't playing tonight but should be back soon.

-Apparently Cameron Lard and Terrence Lewis won't be there tonight because of academic stuff.

-Solomon Young said he's only going (plays at 5:30) if he is done with camp in time.

I'm not saying don't go tonight, but I'm definitely not going.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
-Jeff Beverly not playing until the beginning of July. (According to him)

-Lindel Wigginton, assuming he makes the U19 Canadian team, won't be playing until after July 9th. He'll probably play in 1 regular season game and then the playoffs.

-Jakolby Long hasn't been cleared yet from his shoulder surgery and isn't playing tonight but should be back soon.

-Apparently Cameron Lard and Terrence Lewis won't be there tonight because of academic stuff.

-Solomon Young said he's only going (plays at 5:30) if he is done with camp in time.

I'm not saying don't go tonight, but I'm definitely not going.

IIRC, the incoming guys had some academic conflicts the first couple of CCL nights last year too.

Prohm doesn't like the CCL, but the CCL needs ISU guys to stay relevant, so my guess is they sort of intentionally set up some conflicts to minimize the ISU players involvement, but let them play enough to not kill the league.

• Creative
Reactions: jim4

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
IIRC, the incoming guys had some academic conflicts the first couple of CCL nights last year too.

Prohm doesn't like the CCL, but the CCL needs ISU guys to stay relevant, so my guess is they sort of intentionally set up some conflicts to minimize the ISU players involvement, but let them play enough to not kill the league.
I thought they moved games to Thursday nights to limit some of those conflicts?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

We will all start to hate the CCL if one of our key players gets hurt in the league one year. It won't matter if it could have just as easily happened in a practice or pick up game.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I thought they moved games to Thursday nights to limit some of those conflicts?

That could be, but did Prohm counter by moving the academic commitment to Thursday (per Thompson's post Lewis and Lard have an academic commitment tonight)?

Obviously this is speculation and I get why a college coach wouldn't be a huge fan of a league like this. There's really nothing to gain by letting your guys get highlight reel dunks and shoot 18 3's against HS/NAIA competition.

• Creative
Reactions: str8cashhomie

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
That could be, but did Prohm counter by moving the academic commitment to Thursday (per Thompson's post Lewis and Lard have an academic commitment tonight)?

Obviously this is speculation and I get why a college coach wouldn't be a huge fan of a league like this. There's really nothing to gain by letting your guys get highlight reel dunks and shoot 18 3's against HS/NAIA competition.
Maybe they're in Music 102 and they are going to one of the concerts they need to attend? There's lots of things it could be.

Reactions: JSmoove

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

Other than fun and teambuilding and bonding before the season or practice rolls around?

I don't think Prohm hates it as much as you believe he does. I think there's something special for Lard and Lewis tonight, otherwise none of the newbies would be there.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and jim4

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

What does Prohm owe the CCL? If it was bad for our players, I'm sure he would cut that **** off. There is no ISU benefit besides fan interaction. WtF you trying to say?

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This league has connected a lot of young fans to the players and university. It's a great league for ISU, not so much the players. Ames to WDM is a bit of a drive, but I couldn't care less about the injury risk. These leagues don't increase the risk of injury unless they are sitting on their ass otherwise.

But I would guess that the more we see NBA players sit out regular season games, and the more we see NFL draft picks sit out bowl games, the more we will see players not showing up to these games. It's understandable but a little disappointing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
As I recall, Prohm once said he thought we could do something better for the players ourselves. I assumed he meant having our own smaller league that brings in really good players (including alumni) and provides a more developmental experience in a more controlled environment that has less risk of injury.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Just do all the games in Ankey. WDM is a reach from Ames on a weeknight
I agree. Plus, these guys have camp right now and it's really hard for them to make a 5:30 game. Solomon Young told me he wasn't going to make it because of that and that the drive to Des Moines is "really annoying."

Btw he did add that he'd be there Sunday.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just do all the games in Ankey. WDM is a reach from Ames on a weeknight

So that's where it's made

4058961444_8e3ee4486b.jpg

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
As I recall, Prohm once said he thought we could do something better for the players ourselves. I assumed he meant having our own smaller league that brings in really good players (including alumni) and provides a more developmental experience in a more controlled environment that has less risk of injury.
I don't see the injury risk. It's no riskier than playing in pick up games all summer. If anything, the Cap. City League is more controlled and safer. I can't recall a single serious injury to an Iowa State player in all the years they've been playing down there.

Reactions: CyTwins

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
If I recall, Prohm started out very skeptical of the league but once he got a better understanding of it he sees the positives -- especially the PR value and the connection with the fans. One of ISU's unique selling propositions is that we are the only game in town so players are treated like "stars" -- that certainly comes through at Cap City games.

ISU/Prohm doesn't owe the league anything. But, IMO, if you do have your guys commit to playing you should give them a little nudge to get them to show up. Ultimately I think guys like Lard and Lewis will play some -- which is really what the fans want to see. And with 3 games in Ankeny Solomon will only have to drive 25 minutes instead of 45. Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: Goclones1727

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I agree with this but I'm taking out the last sentence just to be safe for the future

Ha, Deano's on a "they don't play any defense in the Cap City League" kick.

You can't make this stuff up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron