Cannondale Bikes

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does anyone have one, do you like it? Opinions overall of Cannondale bikes and in particular the Synapse model. Thanks in advance

ISUTKD

Nov 9, 2009
Portland
Does anyone have one, do you like it? Opinions overall of Cannondale bikes and in particular the Synapse model. Thanks in advance

They are fine. My wife has a 2008 model and likes it well enough. I tend to feel you are paying extra for the brand name.

cylentMike

Aug 15, 2012
I have a 2015 Cannondale Trigger mountain bike. It's a full suspension bike, so the ride is way nicer than either my old school fully rigid Diamondback Sorrento or my newer hardtail GT Zaskbar I love it. I do a lot of technical riding out here in Arizona. My wife also has a Cannondale.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

I'm still riding my 1996 F3000 hardtail. It was their top of the line model that year and has held up to the terrain here in Colorado. Honestly, I don't think there's much difference in quality between the top brands, just get something that fits both you and the type of riding you plan to do.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
All the top brands will have quality frames, and the frame geometry/paint job will be the only thing that is really different between them. Heck most bike companies have all their frames made in the same factories in Taiwan, so it really just comes down to geometry. Just find a bike that fits you, is in your price range, and has a good component buildout (Brakes, tires, shifters, deraileurs, etc.) and go with that one.

That being said, yeah I'd consider Cannondale in that top group of mass quality manufacturers.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I ride a Trek but wouldn't be at all opposed to a Cannondale if the right deal came along.

I assume you're looking at buying new? Which variant of the Synapse are you considering?

Definitely try to test ride as many different brands/models as you can. Getting something that fits, you're comfortable on, and that you *like* is far more important than brand IMO. Not all bike shops are created equal, either.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I ride a Trek but wouldn't be at all opposed to a Cannondale if the right deal came along.

I assume you're looking at buying new? Which variant of the Synapse are you considering?

Definitely try to test ride as many different brands/models as you can. Getting something that fits, you're comfortable on, and that you *like* is far more important than brand IMO. Not all bike shops are created equal, either.

It's a new 2012 alum/carbon fork w/ Shimano 105 gears triple ring front. Fit me better than this years model. costs less. I liked it a lot. The only "nice" bike I've had was a Trek hybrid but started taking longer rides and looking for something a little easier on myself. The 105 series seems to shift smoother than the series beneath it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's a new 2012 alum/carbon fork w/ Shimano 105 gears triple ring front. Fit me better than this years model. costs less. I liked it a lot. The only "nice" bike I've had was a Trek hybrid but started taking longer rides and looking for something a little easier on myself. The 105 series seems to shift smoother than the series beneath it.

105 is a classic. It will last a long time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
IMO opinion for the most part, Cannondale and Trek can be pretty equal and Specialized is right around there with maybe a slightly higher cost.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've had my Cannondale since 2008 or 2009? At that time the frames were actually built in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that ended shortly after that.

They're fine bikes. But you should probably sit on the bike, and it'll tell you a lot :yes:

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Cannondale is a good bike. The components are important, so if it is full 105 I think you'll be in good shape. Tiagra stuff can be a bit nasty, but shimano for the most part make good products that work well. Just make sure it is the right size, and get a comfortable seat.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Cannondale is a good bike. The components are important, so if it is full 105 I think you'll be in good shape. Tiagra stuff can be a bit nasty, but shimano for the most part make good products that work well. Just make sure it is the right size, and get a comfortable seat.

Actually Tiagra isn't all that bad the last few years. Sora is where it gets iffy. Since the newest bikes now come with 11 speed, Tiagra is basically the old 105 10 speed, and Sora became the 9 speed Tiagra.

105 will last you for a long time. They are durable and very crisp shifting.

Overall the Synapse is a very good bike especially if it's your first road bike. You can't go wrong with it.

Most important thing is take it for a good spin before riding. Shift through the gears. Make sure you feel comfortable. Use Kelly Blue Book to make sure price is fair.

If you want some more help road roadbikereview.com has some great forumns and people that will help you out.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Cannon or Trek will be about 20% more for the same bike as another brand, but they are good equipment.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron