Can we talk about Nebraska?...

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
How does "OSU run the B1G?" Please back up that statement.

Seriously? Maybe I should have been more specific, and said that OSU football is the most important football program to the B1G, football is the most important sport to the B1G, so... the transitive property tells us that OSU football is the most important program to the B1G.

Michigan is a close second and Penn St/Wisky are also a cut above the rest. Do you not think that scheduling begins and ends with OSU in mind? B1G marketing features OSU football as much as possible? It's the centerpiece of their cornucopia, and they want to keep it that way.

Let's not forget that the B1G owes a debt to OSU also, because when the B1G was thought of as a trash league in 2014/15 and they snuck into the playoff and won. Let's not pretend that this didn't really help the league's perception for years to come.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I can't recall the details, but there was an adjustment made as to how many scholarships could be given, and some eligibility requirements that really changed the way Saint Thomas of Osborn could fill his roster. IMO that was the beginning of the end.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Seriously? Maybe I should have been more specific, and said that OSU football is the most important football program to the B1G, football is the most important sport to the B1G, so... the transitive property tells us that OSU football is the most important program to the B1G.

Michigan is a close second and Penn St/Wisky are also a cut above the rest. Do you not think that scheduling begins and ends with OSU in mind? B1G marketing features OSU football as much as possible? It's the centerpiece of their cornucopia, and they want to keep it that way.

Let's not forget that the B1G owes a debt to OSU also, because when the B1G was thought of as a trash league in 2014/15 and they snuck into the playoff and won. Let's not pretend that this didn't really help the league's perception for years to come.
Oh please. You just stated your own opinions. Fine. You haven't provided a shred of factual evidence that "OSU runs the B1G."

• Friendly
Reactions: BigCyFan

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can't recall the details, but there was an adjustment made as to how many scholarships could be given, and some eligibility requirements that really changed the way Saint Thomas of Osborn could fill his roster. IMO that was the beginning of the end.

It was the end of partial qualifiers that pissed off Tommy o. Texas said that **** needed to stop.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Hope Nebraska enjoys the few extra dollars.......I bet behind closed doors they miss playing Kansas State/OU/Texas ect.
Have to laugh at all the Husker hating.
News flash: Iowa State, if invited to join the Big Ten, would have left the Big 12 too. In a second.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Oh please. You just stated your own opinions. Fine. You haven't provided a shred of factual evidence that "OSU runs the B1G."
OSU football led off the B1G season with a cupcake (ended up being tougher than it should have) on national TV Thursday Night game and will finish the season in the spotlight also with the Michigan game the Saturday after thanksgiving. Both scheduled by the B1G. Why doesn't Rutgers or Illinois or Iowa or Nebraska get this treatment... because they matter less.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Have to laugh at all the Husker hating.
News flash: Iowa State, if invited to join the Big Ten, would have left the Big 12 too. In a second.
I agree with this whole heartedly. But that doesn't change the fact that Nebraska is in a free fall towards mediocrity (the point of discussion in this thread).

Last edited:

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I agree with this whole heartedly. But that doesn't change the fact that Nebraska is in a free fall towards mediocrity (the point of discussion in this thread).
completely agree. I'd love for Iowa State to join the big 10, but regardless, that doesn't affect anything that was said about Nebraska

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My Hawkeye buddies brought up the whole ISU to the MAC thing again at last Saturday's game. I quietly said there is no way the Board of Regents or the state legislature will let ISU get kicked out of a power conference and end up in the MAC, especially with our soaring almuni base, money pouring into the foundation, the 3rd largest football stadium in a P5 conference, the largest school in the state (that really bugs them) and our status as an AAU school. That's a ranking enjoyed by the top research institutions.

I'm fuzzy on the timing of this, but I think Nebraska lost their AAU status about the time it joined the Big 10, and the Big 10 made a big stink about how it only courts AAU schools. So, N's football program is languishing and its academic status is not what it was. Instead of talking about ISU as a MAC school, the Big 10 fans might want to look at one of theirs as a potential fit for MAC status.

It's not most of the Big 10 that thinks of ISU as a MAC school - it's mostly just dooshy Iowa and Nebraska fans. I've had conversations with several people here in Michigan. They know who Iowa State is. They know enough to know that ISU's academics are really good. But the kicker is a lot of them kinda sorta wish ISU was in the Big 10. Now school presidents probably won't think the same way, but I always find it interesting that random fans in Michigan have a higher opinion of ISU than one would think. Oh - and most Michiganders don't think too highly of EIU.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
OSU football led off the B1G season with a cupcake (ended up being tougher than it should have) on national TV Thursday Night game and will finish the season in the spotlight also with the Michigan game the Saturday after thanksgiving. Both scheduled by the B1G. Why doesn't Rutgers or Illinois or Iowa or Nebraska get this treatment... because they matter less.

Living smack dab in the middle of Big 10 country, nobody really thinks of Indiana as a cupcake this year. Yeah, they thought OSU should have won more comfortably than they did, but nobody is really talking about the pushover they normally are.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
This should be the topic of conversation.

They essentially built a dynasty on players that wouldn't be accepted into most other schools.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
They are a volleyball school.

I do notice a BIG difference in how their fans in the Twin Cities follow them. Back in their Big 12 heyday they had a huge and zealot following here. Back when it wasn't easy to get all of the games on TV they would host pay per view gamewatches at Joe Senser's Sports bar and have several hundred fans in there complete with their own pep band (no, really, their own PEP BAND in a bar). When I used to plan ISU gamewatches at the same venue I'd have to move to a different location if at the same time as the Huskers. Today, nope, they don't draw any more than we do.
I recently had a tour of the Nebraska athletic facilities. The athletic department official that gave the tour told us that, if friends ask, he can easily get them football tickets (especially for lesser opponents) but there's no way he can get them tickets for any volleyball matches.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
isu would never get kicked out of a p5 conference.
thats just not reality anymore; especially with such strong attendance in major sports and tier 3 tv support from fans.
the window for that closed probably 20 years ago.
going forward it will be "how many of your fans will subscribe to watch big 12 sports stream".
my guess is iowa state would hold their own and easily outpace non power 5 teams.
right around 75 is a really good number give or take for power 5 teams.
they will not limit it to 64 like some have thought in the past.

and yes riley is a joke; that was their last chance to recover and they blew it again.
nebraska football is dead.
iowa and wisconsin are the leaders in the west and its not even close at the moment.

• Agree
Reactions: HoopsTournament

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
nebraska being on the far western edge of big ten is really hurting it.
they and missouri need to come back to the big 12 and i believe they will.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Peter

Dennis4nh

Dec 6, 2014
Funny comment earlier about not being able to get tickets to N volleyball games. Nice touch.

I too believe that ISU will be big winner in appointment/pay television viewing that is on the way. In my opinion, the Big 12 is in front of this thing regarding tv rights and knows something.

I spent a career in television and saw a dramatically changing model for delivering tv services. ISU and other schools with faithful fans will be leaders in showing the way in the new television world. A school like N will sign up people initially, but those subscriptions will drop off if N doesn't deliver a championship program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron