Can we talk about Nebraska?...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Not necessarily to bash (feel free) but your observations.

I just find their whole zeitgeist to have changed since joining the big ten. Their fans seem to embrace their role as a big ten also ran and Iowa rival at best. That is a far cry...a gulf from twenty years ago. Riley doesn't seem to care about losing...the defense isn't even very good much less "blackshirty". There is nothing remarkable about Nebraska at all anymore.

Maybe it's my age but I'm not sure I've witnessed this sort of thing before. It's weird.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Frankly, I am neutral on Nebraska now. I like them much more than I like Iowa.

I do find it "funny" that they were talking on the radio about ending the thanksgiving "tradition" of that football game. It's not s tradition if it's less than 10 years. No one gives a **** about that game.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Not necessarily to bash (feel free) but your observations.

I just find their whole zeitgeist to have changed since joining the big ten. Their fans seem to embrace their role as a big ten also ran and Iowa rival at best. That is a far cry...a gulf from twenty years ago. Riley doesn't seem to care about losing...the defense isn't even very good much less "blackshirty". There is nothing remarkable about Nebraska at all anymore.

Maybe it's my age but I'm not sure I've witnessed this sort of thing before. It's weird.

NU is an academic school now. :jimlad

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think less about Nebby since they joined the Big 10, but every once in a while I'll venture over to their message board, and all of the reasons why I despised them come flooding back. They are so up their own ass when it comes to their football team. Very few of them can see the program for what it is, which is a middle of the road Big 10 team. That's it. No worse and sure as **** no better.
They need to come to the realization that Tom Osbourne doesn't matter anymore. Tommy Frazier doesn't matter anymore. Eric Crouch doesn't matter anymore. The past is a wonderful thing, but living there doesn't help at all.
They're no longer a football power in any sense anymore. It's got to be a bitter pill to swallow, but I don't expect it to change for many of them any time soon.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Seems like a matter of geography finally catching up with them, rather than anything having to do with switching conferences.
I agree that it's not the conference...but the Neb fans I've engaged with seem to use it as a justification for now just being another midwestern football program. I'd have expected a lot more angst over the current state of affairs. I can remember vividly Neb fans losing their **** over Frank Solich only winning nine games. It's like its not even the same fanbase.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Somebody has to dominate the quasi-conference that is the Big 10 West.

Too bad for them it seems to be aligning to be Wisconsin, not them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They are a volleyball school.

I do notice a BIG difference in how their fans in the Twin Cities follow them. Back in their Big 12 heyday they had a huge and zealot following here. Back when it wasn't easy to get all of the games on TV they would host pay per view gamewatches at Joe Senser's Sports bar and have several hundred fans in there complete with their own pep band (no, really, their own PEP BAND in a bar). When I used to plan ISU gamewatches at the same venue I'd have to move to a different location if at the same time as the Huskers. Today, nope, they don't draw any more than we do.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Seems like a matter of geography finally catching up with them, rather than anything having to do with switching conferences.

I disagree with this completely. Nebraska lost their Texas and Oklahoma player pipeline by switching to the Big10. They had a history of winning, which made those players want to go to NU if they didn't go to UT or OU. THAT is what's caught up to them. And as we begin to win hopefully we can begin to steer players our direction from those states.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree that it's not the conference...but the Neb fans I've engaged with seem to use it as a justification for now just being another midwestern football program. I'd have expected a lot more angst over the current state of affairs. I can remember vividly Neb fans losing their **** over Frank Solich only winning nine games. It's like its not even the same fanbase.

Yeah, its very possible its both things.

It certainly isn't a great thing for fans, to be going from having so many close teams (ISU, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State) the same distance or closer than their second closest opponent now, Minnesota.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS

- NCAA institutes scholarship limits
- Big 12 formation with the addition of TX schools decides to limit the number of partial qualifiers a program can take on (presume Big 10 does the same)
- Bill Callahan replaces Frank Solich for more "NFL" and less "9 win seasons"
- Bo Pelini creates more mess than he cleans up
- Jim Delany agrees to offer Nebraska a spot in the Big10 and Harvey Perlman accepts. The school has a rich football tradition, but one that is foreign to all Big10 programs. The N now stands for knowledge because of the academic standards forced upon them. The N on the helmet doesn't mean much to the traditional Big10 teams, and probably does not bring with it the aura it carried in the Big6/8/12 due to lack of familiarity and recent history. Instead, the N is seen as an interloper or invader and most teams want to haze the freshman if they can. Sure they won the Legends division that one time, but they got their asses whipped by Wisconsin 70-31 in the title game.
- Geography

Nebraska football is sailing on a heading that will put them back where they were before they found Bob Devaney.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I have several friends who are Huskers. I heard countless rants about how much they hated Texas and to a lesser extent Oklahoma, and felt that the Big 12 did those 2 teams favors at the expense of the rest of the league. I told them when they left that if they didn't think that OSU runs the B1G the same way they thought Texas ran the Big12, that they were in for a rude awakening.

They sure seem to have accepted their B1G overlords, and do as they are told. It could be worse, they could be Missouri.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have several friends who are Huskers. I heard countless rants about how much they hated Texas and to a lesser extent Oklahoma, and felt that the Big 12 did those 2 teams favors at the expense of the rest of the league. I told them when they left that if they didn't think that OSU runs the B1G the same way they thought Texas ran the Big12, that they were in for a rude awakening.

They sure seem to have accepted their B1G overlords, and do as they are told. It could be worse, they could be Missouri.

Switching conferences is kind of like this...

5428727771_15be78bf80.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron