Can the Big 12 remain viable

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
Firstly, like most of you I’m thinking the Big 12 is a goner. However, what if the other power 5s decide there is nobody currently worth pulling in? That is a logical stance. So for fun, I suggest the Big 12 do the following:
1) no mercy for Oklahoma and Texas. No negotiations on buyouts. No more favorable treatment and borderline rudeness from referees. Show potential new members that we also treat the big boys with disdain.
2) Bank any revenue forfeitures from OK and TX for future use.
3) go in heavy negotiations with Fox. Let them know we firmly stand with them and that we will provide plenty of games because….
4) expansion to 16 teams…invite UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, BYU, Boise, CSU and one other….Be it SMU, UNLV or LA/Tulane.
5) be as innovative with this as you can. Try to put yourself into a position to get 1 possibly two teams in a playoff…

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Firstly, like most of you I’m thinking the Big 12 is a goner. However, what if the other power 5s decide there is nobody currently worth pulling in? That is a logical stance. So for fun, I suggest the Big 12 do the following:
1) no mercy for Oklahoma and Texas. No negotiations on buyouts. No more favorable treatment and borderline rudeness from referees. Show potential new members that we also treat the big boys with disdain.
3) go in heavy negotiations with Fox. Let them know we firmly stand with them and that we will provide plenty of games because….
4) expansion to 16 teams…invite UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, BYU, Boise, CSU and one other….Be it SMU, UNLV or LA/Tulane.
5) be as innovative with this as you can. Try to put yourself into a position to get 1 possibly two teams in a playoff…
Fox laughs in your face during steps 3 and 4.
Then they tell you in step 5 who you will invite, when you will invite them, and how little money they're going to pay you for that privilege.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Our media overlords' opening offer will ask the Big 12 to pay THEM (instead of the other way around) when it comes to actually renegotiating the contract. No matter who we add, the final contract will probably result in each athletic department receiving tens-of-millions of dollars less than the previous contract.

But absent divine intervention from the B1G or Pac 12, this might be the best-case-scenario. And it's a TERRIBLE scenario.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA

Maybe.....but not in football. What ultimately gets done isn't really up to Iowa State or really any school left....it's up to the Pac 12 and Big 10.

I don't mind the huge expansion idea to attempt to keep some amount of relevancy (particularly as a basketball league), but from a football standpoint it might be worse than staying at eight teams. You'd be tying yourself to a bunch of teams that would have no shot at being involved in any future restructuring of the highest level college football.

Sadly.......it might be the only thing that JP and the other AD's can do. And that ******* sucks.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
It would be far far behind the other 4 conferences in terms of revenue, but ahead of a few of them (some years) in terms of talent.

And as far as the AAC is concerned, their top teams would much rather come to the BIG12 then the other way around, no matter what the viewership numbers say. That would maximize what little we have to offer.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
Keep in mind i throw this out only if there was no further expansion …

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
It depends on how many additional Big 12 schools get invitations to go elsewhere, and how fast, but the perceived prestige will not be retainable. I am confused as to why there's talk of the AAC poaching teams from the Big 12 rather than the other way around, given that it's the Big 12 that currently could force Texas and OU to pay up and retains autonomy privileges under NCAA governance. Some Big 12 schools besides UT and OU may leave, but for those that would otherwise go to the AAC, why wouldn't they invite whom they please to the Big 12 instead? Only if so many schools leave that the Big 12 collapses would the AAC be able to take some of them, but that's more like scavenging than poaching.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron