Can the Big 12 remain viable

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
not to be a downer, and I am depressed as much as anyone. How do we keep Campbell if this all goes down, seriously. Gee Matt we really like you and you are a great coach, we know you have other offers, but we know you love ISU so will you take like a one half reduction in salary, and play in a lesser conference, while not getting big time games on National TV, we can still keep the process in place. Good players want to play Big Time CFB. Maybe not the death knell but it won't be good. Unless we can get into a remaining power conference it will be at a lower level, and the Mountain West and the remains of the Big 12 plus Cincinnati, etc are not Power Conferences.

The only way is to remain in a power conference....if this ends up with us in the AAC or in a Big 12 with Houston and Cincy, we should be very happy for him when he gets hired by Penn State and thank him for the incredible job he did while in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: Mississippi Clone

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
NCAA has requirements on the number of sports offered to remain at the division 1 level (7 for men and women, or 6 for men and 8 women).....not that the NCAA will have any say in anything in a few years. Indoor and outdoor track and field are counted separately, so we could cut one men's team and three women's teams.

can't cut the women's teams without getting in Title 9 trouble thanks to the massive amount of scholarships football takes up.

Even if the NCAA goes away and thus the limits on sports go away, Title 9 is federal law so at the minimum you'd have to field enough women's sports to cover scholarships of the football and basketball teams.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
can't cut the women's teams without getting in Title 9 trouble thanks to the massive amount of scholarships football takes up.

Even if the NCAA goes away and thus the limits on sports go away, Title 9 is federal law so at the minimum you'd have to field enough women's sports to cover scholarships of the football and basketball teams.

No ****....simply saying that you can only cut so much and remain D1.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
To answer the OP, my heart says yes, but my head says no. If you add non P-5 schools you no longer have a P-5 conference. Yes, I know we added TCU a decade or so ago, but they had sustained domination in the Mountain West for a long time. I don't know of any G-5 schools that are like that currently. Maybe Boise? Still, it's a no for me.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
I think it does. You think West Virginia likes being in the Big 12?

It doesn't matter about liking it, they joined because that's where the money and opportunity was. Location will not stand in the way of money, power, and playoff opportunity.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The BIG has Rutgers and Maryland, the Big 12 has West Virginia. USC is being talked about as a next big grab by the BIG. All of this happened because money trumps location.
The first two you mentioned were 2011 landscape rules. Big market footprint for cable. They would not be Invited today. WV was a Hail Mary since we needed 2 more members and they were best available. USC is like Notre Dame, a national brand that has people throughout the US. They pull fans from everywhere. They were also set with 4 other schools from the west coast to keep fan interest.

Bringing an extra 5000 visiting fans for 6 games pumps around 2 MM to each school yearly for football, not to mention to the money to their communities.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
We are in a whole lot of trouble... Sure, it is definitely possible we will get in a good situation but it seems more likely that we won't. very unfortunate....

But then again literally no one has any idea what will happen.

• Useful
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I think Pollard was wrong when he compared the rest of the Big 12 to the MWC in 2016. Take a look at ISU's ratings last season. Our games against K State and Okie State drew 2 to 3 million viewers and matched or beat teams like Florida and Notre Dame who played on the same days and at around the same times.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
If it's a pro league, consider what other pro leagues do to maintain balance- salary caps, revenue sharing, luxury taxes.

yes.. but that is not what happens in college football. money is not spread evenly, budgets are not capped, there is no one at the top of college athletics that is looking out for the good of the sport overall. Only teams looking out for their individual best interests.

You can look through all of the moves of the last 10 years or so and all of them have benefits from a financial perspective (even colorado that is making less in the PAC than they would have in the B12 is in a better position financially moving forward than those left behind by tx/ou). However, few have made sense from a good of the sport perspective. Rutgers playing nebraska, iowa, minn, wisconsin is not a step forward.

The rules in college athletics favor those in power. SEC and b10 will establish the rules. Will there be a salary cap? If the SEC decides that is best sure. If not, the SEC will pay what ever they want. Which benefits the SEC more? Paying players whatever the SEC can afford? Or paying them what non-power conferences can afford? There may be a cap but it will be so high relative to what leagues other than the b10/sec make that it wont matter... The gap between the power conferences and everyone else will grow substantially and any rules will benefit leagues in power.

Right now, we are heading for a 32-40 team super league. They may not even play those outside of the league.

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
But at what point does it become a problem to ship every not football player between Ames and Tucson, or State College and Lubbock? Regardless of the football money, doesn't that, and the death of half of D1 enter in eventually?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
But at what point does it become a problem to ship every not football player between Ames and Tucson, or State College and Lubbock? Regardless of the football money, doesn't that, and the death of half of D1 enter in eventually?

This is no problem whatsoever when you are working with P5 level athletic budgets. So your travel expenses go up - you still come out way ahead of the American (which itself routinely ships student athletes across half the country, from Texas and Oklahoma to Pennsylvania and Florida and eastern Carolina).

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
but Pro leagues have a commissioner over the league, members generally comply. The NCAA has lost all control, the SEC could give a F about what other programs outside their conference think or do, it will take some time to work it out and for teams like the Clones it could be ugly, not my hope, just potential reality.

Going to be interesting at the least. Smaller market schools could be helped by the public's desire to see a wider range of schools competing near the top.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm to the point where if ISU isn't going to end up in the B1G or the PAC, then I just want to see ISU win the National Championship this year.... and then I hope it all just comes crumbling down after that and college football suffers a quick death.

I know that won't happen, but I can hope. So sick and tired of all the greediness.

• Winner
Reactions: drmwevr08

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
With the Big 12 trying to stick up for itself now, how many votes are needed within the conference to make decisions? I believe it is 8, which works perfect for sticking it to OU/Tex however possible over the next 4 years.

Also, if the remaining 8 are digging in to keep ESPN money coming, does the Big 12 try to expand while the money is good, blowing up ESPN's hopes of having the AAC raid the Big 12?

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Most importantly, we need eight votes to add new members to the Conference. If the Big 12's strategy is to hold Texas/OU in the conference until 2025 (absent them paying their massive buyouts that they don't want to pay), Texas and OU will probably vote "no" to any expansion as long as they are still members, putting the Big 12 in the absolute worst possible position to renegotiate its TV contract in 2025. The only way for the Big 12 to really hold Texas'/OU's feet to the fire is ensuring that no other member wants to leave. If another member decides to leave and is in same position as Texas/OU, the remaining schools will have only seven of the eight votes needed to add new members. It would sign the death warrants for those remaining seven schools come 2025.

A Supermajority (defined as an incredible 75%) could also deem Texas/OU as withdrawing members, triggering the massive buyouts. That would force their hand, but then it would be official: Texas/OU are no longer in the Big 12, and the Big 12 is left with its remaining eight members. There's a reason why Texas/OU chose now to pull the trigger and notify the Conference: it's too late to realistically force them to withdraw before the 2021 season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron