Campos?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Am I wrong or did Jake play really well last night all second half. Anyone know about his shot at making the roster?

neiacy

Apr 11, 2006
He definitely played better last night. I believe one of the games he had 2 holding penalties. He held is own last night.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Playing time? Has he been playing left guard throughout the preseason?

The Cowboys essentially played no starters yesterday and I don't believe i saw Campos out there with the 'starting' unit. Playing time in the preseason doesn't mean your making a 53 man roster.

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Melbs

Jul 25, 2018
Ames, Iowa
Playing time? Has he been playing left guard throughout the preseason?

No, he has played both right and left tackle in the previous two preseason games. He looks pretty out of his depth at tackle where even 2nd and 3rd team rush ends have made him look bad. He has completely missed blocks one-on-one at times. And on one drive, he was called for holding twice, earning a dubious extended conversation by the announcers. He looked much better last night at guard, and seemingly held his own, though I am far from proficient in scouting interior offensive line play.

Melbs

Jul 25, 2018
Ames, Iowa
Dallas is suffering from a rash of injuries across the O-line (plus Chaz Green is still suffering the nightmare effects of Adrian Clayborn's sack-fest last year) so there are some openings that would normally not be available. Jake's best bet, IMO, is to look good enough at guard to warrant an 8th or 9th lineman spot while providing emergency time at tackle if needed. He is in as good of a spot as he could of asked for right now, but he is definitely no lock to even make the practice squad.

• Informative
Reactions: weR138 and CYCLNST8

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
He did look great last night, but Dallas has a lot of depth on their line. Practice squad is the best to hope for, which is not a bad thing at all.

I was wondering why he would sign with a team that had a lot of depth. Maybe that was the only team that contacted him? I personally thought he would sign with the Vikings. That is still possible.

Melbs

Jul 25, 2018
Ames, Iowa
I was wondering why he would sign with a team that had a lot of depth

The announcers mentioned something about it in the 2nd preseason game if I remember correctly. Something about his father being from the Laredo area. I don't know if it was anything more than Campos traveled to Texas regularly to visit family and was a long-time Cowboys fan.
Might be one of those things where he figured "Hey, I'm a long shot. This will be my only go around on an NFL team. Might as well spend 6 weeks with my favorite team."

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The announcers mentioned something about it in the 2nd preseason game if I remember correctly. Something about his father being from the Laredo area. I don't know if it was anything more than Campos traveled to Texas regularly to visit family and was a long-time Cowboys fan.
Might be one of those things where he figured "Hey, I'm a long shot. This will be my only go around on an NFL team. Might as well spend 6 weeks with my favorite team."
I like your assessment.

I wonder now though if there might be teams with greater need at guard who might have real interest?...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's too bad that Loney retired from the cowboys last year . Even though in the last year he was coaching tight ends, you know he'd be pulling for the ISU guys.