Campbell not going anywhere but home to his family

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Honestly think Matt Campbell is staying but only Campbell knows for sure. Taking the USC job pretty much goes against all of the qualities and standards that Campbell has set for himself and his whole career. It would be like selling out himself for the money and prestige and compromising the way he has lived his entire life.

Campbell leaving for USC makes perfect sense to the World that thinks money should be the ultimate goal. But it doesn’t make much sense to those who know Campbell. That isn’t the way he conducts himself. Campbell does not have an agent.? Anyone who thinks Campbell is negotiating a deal with USC, (he does not have an agent) while Iowa State is preparing to play a football games, needs to reconsider. That is not the way Campbell conducts himself. Campbell is all about character and conduct. He does things the right way.

Why do people say stuff like this? Pretend they know someone based on some public comments? You don’t know Matt Campbell. You don’t know his thought process. He doesn’t owe you or ISU anything. He's treated us well. If he feels this is an opportunity he can’t pass up, good for him. Doesn’t mean he isn’t doing things “the right way.” Christ.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Honestly I still don’t think this USC or LSU job make any sense for Matt.

I think what makes me uneasy more is how Matt talked yesterday. I just didn’t feel like he made anything sound reassuring with the way he phrased postgame questions.Something didn’t feel right.

Usually it's been 'They don't have anything to worry about' and I didn't get that vibe yesterday.

Whatever he does, it needs to happen quickly.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Honestly I still don’t think this USC or LSU job make any sense for Matt.

I think what makes me uneasy more is how Matt talked yesterday. I just didn’t feel like he made anything sound reassuring with the way he phrased postgame questions.Something didn’t feel right.
It’s felt weird all season

• Winner
Reactions: norcalcy

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
Usually it's been 'They don't have anything to worry about' and I didn't get that vibe yesterday.

Whatever he does, it needs to happen quickly.
I don’t exactly feel “he’s gone” either. Just that he’s more unsure of things. Seems like he’s waiting on something.

For all we know, maybe this isn’t about USC or any of these college jobs at all. Maybe he wants to finally dip his toe into the NFL market and wait and see how it looks.

There’s a certain job potentially opening a state east from us where his former RB plays that would seemingly be a sensible fit for him.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've been out of it for a few days.
What is the reason that so many feel that CMC is gone?

Or are people just throwing stuff to the wall to see if something sticks?

Apparentky some generally reliable folks on Twittercwith ties to USC are giving strong vibes.

• Informative
Reactions: ISUKyro

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last extension happened when JP and his wife had Matt and his wife over for supper and presented him with the contract. Sounds like this is how they have done post season stuff for awhile. So wait until Monday or so before anyone may know anything.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Before you say McCarney invented Iowa state football you need to look at Earl Bruce and Johnny Majors. Look at Dan McCartney's big 12 record it was awful how can you say that about him and inventing Iowa State football???
I AGREE Johnny Majors/ Earle Bruce INVENTED (Winning) Iowa State Football and Dan McCarney brought ISU Football, back from its DeathBed and into Natl Prominence ......

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
What if he and some of the coaches want to stop for a beer before going home to their families.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
But it leads to the next question. What doesn't Iowa State have that he wants? Prestige? Big time opponents?

This is the part which continues to nag at me, namely the continued decline of the Big XII. I didn't care about Colorado or aTm leaving, but I still haven't gotten over Nebraska and Missouri going elsewhere, to be followed shortly by OU and Texas.

Throw in the additional concern that EIU still casts a considerable shadow to the east; we're going to be hard-pressed to equal them in fan base numbers or financial support.

I still believe he wants to make ISU his legacy and just playing along with the "what more could he want" game...

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is the part which continues to nag at me, namely the continued decline of the Big XII. I didn't care about Colorado or aTm leaving, but I still haven't gotten over Nebraska and Missouri going elsewhere, to be followed shortly by OU and Texas.

Throw in the additional concern that EIU still casts a considerable shadow to the east; we're going to be hard-pressed to equal them in fan base numbers or financial support.

I still believe he wants to make ISU his legacy and just playing along with the "what more could he want" game...

I actually wonder if the failure to beat TOE might make him stay.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
*generally reliable folks from the PAC-12, with connections within the PAC-12, regarding the desires of programs within the PAC-12.

…in other words, one sided

Yeah there was some 'he's usually right' sort of stuff but nothing concrete.

Remember 3 months ago when ISU was going to the B1G?

Nov 25, 2018
I AGREE Johnny Majors/ Earle Bruce INVENTED (Winning) Iowa State Football and Dan McCarney brought ISU Football, back from its DeathBed and into Natl Prominence ......
The colloquialism "x invented y" is meant to express the fact that x had an oversized impact on the success of y. I was not trying to literally suggest Mac singlehandedly put ISU on the map.

Truth be told there will be people saying Campbell invented ISU football for similar reasons.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I hear what you're saying, but why did CMC leave Toledo?
Because he got to witness first hand the loyalty of our fan base, the amazing game day atmosphere, and the fact that Jaime Pollard's values aligned perfectly with his.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
When Coach Matt Campbell talks about "The Bill Snyder Model" ....Then Iowa State is the perfect place to implement that type of Model. Kind of like a K-State 2.0

Taking Jobs here & there is NOT THE BILL SNYDER MODEL...I truly believe that Matt Campbell is staying right here at ISU.
In the telecast yesterday (yeah, I didn't make it to the game) they quoted Campell as saying he thought he got caught up in the career ladder aspects while he was at Toledo. That makes me think he's not looking for the next job. Where better to do the things he says coaching is about for him than right here at ISU? And he has a community that loves him and more money than anyone realistically needs.

Nov 25, 2018
Why do people say stuff like this? Pretend they know someone based on some public comments? You don’t know Matt Campbell. You don’t know his thought process. He doesn’t owe you or ISU anything. He's treated us well. If he feels this is an opportunity he can’t pass up, good for him. Doesn’t mean he isn’t doing things “the right way.” Christ.

Agreed. He had fulfilled the terms.of his contract... And frankly a winning record and winning conference record is sufficient for any D1 school, regardless of what rich bastards boosters may think.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
USC has a pretty high opinion of itself, and just because they've decided Matt is their #1 choice, they feel it's almost a done deal. They'll learn, just like others have learned

He may very well go to USC but I think it's funny watching these programs scramble a bit to find coaches.

Like it's not OK for someone to be content.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron