Caleb Grill has transferred out of UNLV

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Eh. Taking a break from Ames to spend a year in Vegas. He probably had a helluva lot of fun. I doubt he needs our sympathies.

I mean that’s one way to look at it. But committing to a school and having your coach leave before you step on campus would definitely be disappointing. Then spending a year with your struggling runner-up choice before following the original coach across the country only for him to leave after a year.

I understand UNLV has good facilities, but what do you think a 19 year old college athlete is doing in Vegas (especially one who’s parents are all over his social media)

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Anybody find any confirmation of this? Nothing on kake.com or anywhere else I could find.

It's in the other player transfer threads already, but yes, he's officially in the transfer portal and retweeted the news himself.

It's not unlikely the local Wichita news mentioned it in passing on-air, nonetheless, a quick twitter search will do the best job of catching real-time updates from news sources and insiders alike.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I mean that’s one way to look at it. But committing to a school and having your coach leave before you step on campus would definitely be disappointing. Then spending a year with your struggling runner-up choice before following the original coach across the country only for him to leave after a year.

I understand UNLV has good facilities, but what do you think a 19 year old college athlete is doing in Vegas (especially one who’s parents are all over his social media)

Didn’t one of the parents diss us on the way out or do I have the wrong kid?

Not sure why the excitement over him for multiple threads?

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Didn’t one of the parents diss us on the way out or do I have the wrong kid?

Not sure why the excitement over him for multiple threads?

I recall some brief chatter similar to that as well related to injury treatment, but it's also true that far too many CycloneFanatic members have an unhealthy obsession with promoting unsubstantiated rumors about coach's wives and player's moms.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Then why does anyone think he is coming back when we are retaining at least one coach from that staff?

Because in TJ Caleb trusts. He committed to TJ at SDSU, grew up an ISU fan, followed TJ to UNLV, and likely would love to come on back to combine those two factors: a HC he trusts and a school he is/was fond of.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Also, wasn't part of the reason he might have transferred because Prohm didn't have time for him to develop? Zion, Terrance, and Caleb all transferred at 19-20 season. Prohm replaced them with Tyler Harris, JCL, and Hinson. Prohm needed to win this year to keep his job and didn't have time to try and develop a player.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I can't believe anyone would see this as a negative. We have so many slots to fill. If he indeed does come back, him and Kunc are good starts to filling out the roster. What was ISU terrible at last year?

1. Shooting
2. Too many turnovers
3. Can't rebound
4. Can't play defense

If you look into the metrics on Grill and Kunc, they are decent-to-good shooters, they don't turn the ball over, and they rebound very well for their position. Word is they both play hard on defense but I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about defensive metrics so 4) is an unknown.

If both are starting next year, then I will assume the rest of the transfer/recruiting period does not go well and we have to really hope they elevate their game but at the very least we know they can be steady players compared to this past year's roster. If one is starting, hopefully it's because they elevated their game as a junior and perhaps we see improvement as a team. If both are coming off the bench, then I think that's a huge success to have the bench led by two guys who help address the deficiencies we saw in the team last year and I would expect significant improvement as a team overall. Maybe I'm way off base, but my hope is to see the bench led by Javan Johnson as a scorer who can be sat if he gets crazy with the turnovers, but then surrounded by Kunc, Grill, and Conditt/Foster as steady guys who can help address the areas we've struggled with as a team for 3 of the last 4 years.

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
I can't believe anyone would see this as a negative. We have so many slots to fill. If he indeed does come back, him and Kunc are good starts to filling out the roster. What was ISU terrible at last year?

1. Shooting
2. Too many turnovers
3. Can't rebound
4. Can't play defense

If you look into the metrics on Grill and Kunc, they are decent-to-good shooters, they don't turn the ball over, and they rebound very well for their position. Word is they both play hard on defense but I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about defensive metrics so 4) is an unknown.

If both are starting next year, then I will assume the rest of the transfer/recruiting period does not go well and we have to really hope they elevate their game but at the very least we know they can be steady players compared to this past year's roster. If one is starting, hopefully it's because they elevated their game as a junior and perhaps we see improvement as a team. If both are coming off the bench, then I think that's a huge success to have the bench led by two guys who help address the deficiencies we saw in the team last year and I would expect significant improvement as a team overall. Maybe I'm way off base, but my hope is to see the bench led by Javan Johnson as a scorer who can be sat if he gets crazy with the turnovers, but then surrounded by Kunc, Grill, and Conditt/Foster as steady guys who can help address the areas we've struggled with as a team for 3 of the last 4 years.
I see what you're saying, but since Grill started every game for UNLV, I'm not sure he would come here to come off the bench. And since he got immediate eligibility at UNLV, would he have to sit out a year now?

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
It's in the other player transfer threads already, but yes, he's officially in the transfer portal and retweeted the news himself.

It's not unlikely the local Wichita news mentioned it in passing on-air, nonetheless, a quick twitter search will do the best job of catching real-time updates from news sources and insiders alike.

Thanks for the advice. I keep trying to learn, because someday I hope to Get Awesome!

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I see what you're saying, but since Grill started every game for UNLV, I'm not sure he would come here to come off the bench. And since he got immediate eligibility at UNLV, would he have to sit out a year now?
No. If a player transfers back to their original school they can play right away.

• Informative
Reactions: Halincandenza

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
We have the scholarships so why not?

Talent wise:
Grill > Harris > Dubar > Blackwell

• Disagree
Reactions: Final42b