Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
This is conjecture but it's possible that he was p'ing off his teammates with not only the untimely techs but things that have taken place off of the court as well. I've coached and believe me morale skyrockets when you let someone go who the other guys don't like, or maybe who was starting to get away with things while everyone else was following rules. And the technicals could have played a role. It could be that the issues that he has that led him to get the technicals manifested in other ways off the court which in turn p'od his teammates and coaches. And it was just time.

• Agree
Reactions: casey1973

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
TJ is all about the team. Team building in the off-season, team chemistry during the season. Playing for each other...
...Caleb must have been bucking that philosophy I'm guessing.
So unfortunate. I think his frustration (bad back, court frustration, etc.) turned into taking it out on his coach and teammates and it spiraled out of control. Sad. Please support the kid as he chose to come play here...twice!
(Obviously, it was something TJ felt he had to do to keep the team's respect of how they represent themselves as a teammate. Some think it will help the team in the long run but I worry about the play and attitude of Jaz now, too, as my assumption was they were good friends w/ Caleb's family taking him in. )

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So unfortunate. I think his frustration (bad back, court frustration, etc.) turned into taking it out on his coach and teammates and it spiraled out of control. Sad. Please support the kid as he chose to come play here...twice!
(Obviously, it was something TJ felt he had to do to keep the team's respect of how they represent themselves as a teammate. Some think it will help the team in the long run but I worry about the play and attitude of Jaz now, too, as my assumption was they were good friends w/ Caleb's family taking him in. )
Or Jaz plays for Caleb?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm going to March Madness and will watch other games but the book is closed on this season as far as my interest goes in ISU basketball.

Ok. Make sure you hold yourself to that. If a college basketball team causes you that much anxiety then a) your life must be pretty awesome and b) just remember you offered to stop watching an NCAA tournament team.

But it might be good to seriously step away from something if it's so unhealthy.

Reactions: JP4CY

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
I'm not as close to the program as most of you, but Grill has been an integral part of what, at least, started out to be a pretty decent season. Why would Coach Otzelberger dismiss him for this somewhat understandable mental error on the court? Was there more behind the scenes that we never heard about. He seems to be leaving feeling good about his time on the team. Was it not mutual?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Part of me was thinking well maybe we can get hot in the tourney, but the offensive fire power is just not there after today’s events. The last month has been the death of 1000 cuts.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That our fans want to win at any cost and are willing to rationalize it. Nice job twisting my words.

Not twisting anything. I know what you were getting at. Kansas isn't " winning at all costs." They're just playing the game you have to play to win championships. Don't be naive either. Iowa State isn't squeaky clean, and they never have been. They're just not as good at the game as Kansas, Baylor etc.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

You are exactly right in what happened. TJ was given no choice unfortunately

• Informative
Reactions: mynameisjonas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No it’s not. You are misusing that phrase.

I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer to lose and have imaginary moral high ground over winning championships. Personally I’d rather ISU win championships.

Yeah all programs are dirty. Some more than others and ISU's best teams had plenty going on.

But in this case if a guy is torpedoing things or being a drag it may have been best for both parties to cut ties; in the present, ISU has some things to play for in their current state.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Well s***... I love our team, the players that Coach Otzelberger brings in etc...
He's got 90+% of the players and scoring to replace for next year... let's just get there and move on.
We’ve got a great freshman class coming in. Need to add a couple good transfers, in particular shooting guard types. We do that, we’ll be good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron