Burton

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Lost in the emotion of the loss is that I feel that Burton looked pretty good. He had 7 points and 3 boards in 15 min. Not bad. He looks quick and looked fairly comfortable.

I think he can be a very helpful piece later on in this year.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Lost in the emotion of the loss is that I feel that Burton looked pretty good. He had 7 points and 3 boards in 15 min. Not bad. He looks quick and looked fairly comfortable.

I think he can be a very helpful piece later on in this year.

Definite positive, mentioned in another post, maybe it would be better he eventually moves into a starting role, and put Matt back on the bench.

I think he will help a great deal on the boards as well, several buckets were a result of his work down low

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looks OK. Certainly.helps in an area.of need

HawkHater247

Nov 22, 2011
He went hard after rebounds initially but I think his height hurt him on a few attempts tonight. Liked what I saw overall and think he will contribute some and bring a lot of needed toughness. I noticed he looked like a very calm on ball defender too.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Will be like Nader , tries too hard at times and bad decisions, but hopefully good outweighs the bad most times.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Will be like Nader , tries too hard at times and bad decisions, but hopefully good outweighs the bad most times.

Gonna make that assumption off of his first game, huh? Don't think he overcompensated a little because it was his first game, and maybe not the norm?

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
Start him at Cincinnati over Thomas.
Unbelievable. Guy has a bad game so let's replace our two guard with the only front court bench player we have who has played 15 minutes this season......

you out obviously don't understand spacing and Cyclone basketball either if you think we are not going to have a shooter on the floor at all times.....can you imagine how much the defense would sag in of we start Morris, Burton, Nader as the 1-3? On or off, defenses have to extend when Naz, Matt, or Hallice are on the court and it opens up room for everything we do....

Last edited:

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I think Burton is an intriguing player. Was surprised at how quick he was to the ball and how quick a jumper he is. Also was impressed with his shooting form (great job of squaring up and quick release) and hustle. Looks like a solid player. Probably nervous but a pretty good first game.
I also continue to be impressed with the improvement of the post up game of McKay. He's always looked athletic but he is developing a solid low post game.

BiggerCy

Jan 6, 2015
Cyclone Alley
Unbelievable. Guy has a bad game so let's replace our two guard with the only front court bench player we have who has played 15 minutes this season......

you out obviously don't understand spacing and Cyclone basketball either if you think we are not going to have a shooter on the floor at all times.....can you imagine how much the defense would sag in of we start Morris, Burton, Nader as the 1-3? On or off, defenses have to extend when Naz, Matt, or Hallice are on the court and it opens up room for everything we do....
Starting Deonte over Matt doesn't seem like that bad of an idea to me. We have a pretty versatile line-up. Deonte showed tonight that he can shoot from 3-point land. We all know that Georges can shoot the long ball, as well as Nader, and Morris. I think we had that line-up in there tonight at some point, and it will be a line-up that will be on the floor throughout the season as well.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames

If only you knew that I am one of Thomas' biggest fans. It has nothing to do with him having a bad game and more to do with the athleticism and physicality of Cincinnati. It's also a true road game and it's hard to win them with perimeter shooting. Have a better chance winning that game on the inside than having Thomas and Cooke shoot a lot of 3's.

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
In his post game interview he said he was nervous, also I thought he post game interview showed he is intelligent, thoughtful, and poised.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
I thought he played great during his time. What I loved most is the way he blocked out on the first shot while he was in the game on defense. It was textbook: He got he body into his man and pushed him about 5ft back. Loved to see him hit that three and also drive to the basket.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
He went hard after rebounds initially but I think his height hurt him on a few attempts tonight. Liked what I saw overall and think he will contribute some and bring a lot of needed toughness. I noticed he looked like a very calm on ball defender too.

Watch out for this guy, he hates the hawks.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I think Burton is an intriguing player. Was surprised at how quick he was to the ball and how quick a jumper he is. Also was impressed with his shooting form (great job of squaring up and quick release) and hustle. Looks like a solid player. Probably nervous but a pretty good first game.
I also continue to be impressed with the improvement of the post up game of McKay. He's always looked athletic but he is developing a solid low post game.

Good observations. I was more than happy with Burton's play in the first game. He looked pretty calm. Just disappointed they didn't try and post him.

McKay's offense is improving each game.