Building a New House

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
So the wife and I are going to look at lots tonight in Bondurant to find our little piece of heaven. We are working with a builder to build new and I have been trying to think of some things that I would like to have in the house before hand, such as how I want things wired for entertainment, outlet placement, etc.

What are some of the things that you put/wanted to put into your house during construction? Or if you recently built, what are some of things you would change?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Talk to Cowgirl 836 she and her husband are just finishing building a house she might be able to help you.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If you are going all out, infloor heating is never a bad thing.

Like you said, pre-wire things so they are all hidden. If you plan to mount a TV, maybe get that all hooked up before the room is finished.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A few things that I would like in my house:

A gas line, water line, and drain in the garage.
My bathroom closer to the garage, so I wouldn't track dirt all into the house.
Egress windows.
Larger porch.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
If you are going all out, infloor heating is never a bad thing.

Like you said, pre-wire things so they are all hidden. If you plan to mount a TV, maybe get that all hooked up before the room is finished.
Yes, heated floors would be awesome, but they may be a little outside of our budget.

The builder already hides the wiring for the main floor TV above the fireplace, but he is also finishing the basement for us so I would like to have him the same thing for the basement family room.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Just built a year ago, biggest plus was a zone furnace/AC system for upstairs and main level (slab foundation) biggest wish item is a frosted block window over the shower/tub in the kids bathroom for some natural daylight, as it is almost too dark to use the facility on a quick pit-stop. Natural lighting is key and that's the one room we missed a window in.

Also, we did a clawfoot soaker tub vs. a jetted tub. Plumbing can be different for those lines than a jetted tub, so if it's a slab construction that can be an issue to move pipes around.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Closets. Number and location.

Our current home (rental) has no closets on the main floor. Makes it hard to store things like a vacuum, broom, etc.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Consider the orientation of your house on the lot with respect to the direction it faces if you can. A west / south facing back yard with no trees and a flat back of the house gets hot during the summer. A south facing driveway will melt clear in the winter while a north facing driveway won't.

I'd also put can lights in all the rooms and prewire for ceiling fans in the rooms as well.

Last edited:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
After you get all of your bids, and get a good idea of what the total project will cost you, be ready to spend up to 10% more than your original estimate by the time the house is built.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
Along with plenty of outlets keep them spread out on dedicated circuits. I have plenty of outlets but are only spread out on a few circuits. If you ever plan to have an exercise area that will have a treadmill run a dedicated circuit just for that.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
If you are building two stories, count me as another vote for multi-zone heating and cooling. That will be a must have for my next home.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
A few things that I would like in my house:

A gas line, water line, and drain in the garage.
My bathroom closer to the garage, so I wouldn't track dirt all into the house.
Egress windows.
Larger porch.
We are having a mud room right off the garage so that should solve the dirt tracking issue. I love the idea of the drain in the garage floor. I've read things about putting a hot water line out to the garage for things like bathing pets, but we don't have any pets due to my son's allergies. What would you use the gas line to the garage for?

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
We are having a mud room right off the garage so that should solve the dirt tracking issue. I love the idea of the drain in the garage floor. I've read things about putting a hot water line out to the garage for things like bathing pets, but we don't have any pets due to my son's allergies. What would you use the gas line to the garage for?

Heating it - at least to keep it above freezing. Hot water to the garage is a great idea too.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Haven't built a house but 1 thing I've come to appreciate is storage and closet space and in your kitchen having a large pantry area/closet or plenty of cabinets. Seems like there is never enough space to put all your kitchen stuff and dry goods.

Good water proofing/prevention in the basement is a must too, after you own a cinder block house built in the 1950's that originally did not have a sump pump you really appreciate how far they have come with building basements now. Water in your basement is a pain in the arse, not only will it ruin things pretty good chance some kind of mold will eventually start growing too if you have a wet or damp basement.