Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
As described by Bruns, we pulled a play side guard to the opposite side to block no one, with no action in the backfield to atleast make it look like a elaborate fake... sheer stupidity at worst or the coaches/players did the wrong assignment at best. In week 10 of the season. The exact opposite of win in the margins and being the best version of yourself in the end.

Reactions: BigCyFan

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Really like these Bruns podcasts. He explains in detail why plays get blown up or are just bad schematically. The three issues I'm hearing are offensive linemen trying to move to the second level before the first level is blocked, offensive linemen seemingly not on the same page or not able to execute fundamental stuff, and then schematically why the hell do we keep motioning so that the motion brings an extra defender into the box, then we run it into the more-loaded box.

Bruns seems just as exasperated and frustrated with the inept offense as my group of Clone fans, he's just a tad better at explaining it than my usual - throw it to Blythe!

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
In my opinion, the 4th down play was the 2nd worst of the game. The worst was calling a 2 yd crossing pattern on 2nd down from the 23 with 30 seconds left in the game and no timeouts. Thankfully it was incomplete but had it been caught, X most likely gets tackled in bounds and we lose 10 seconds trying to get lined up just to spike it leaving only 1 play on 4th down. The only time you run that play in that situation is if you have Tyreke Hill. That play call was a bad call for a jr high coach let alone someone making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I agree with most of what he said, but to his point on Purdy I think there is a lot of revisionist history going on there and I think Chris said something similar on the pod with Blum. Most final drives with Purdy when we were down a score ended up in a turnover or no points. Seems like a consistent problem within the program.
Final drives in 2021:

Punt up 6 vs UNI
Missed FG vs Iowa (led by Dekkers)
Probably scored points vs UNLV (play by play not available)
TD vs Baylor
TD vs Kansas
FG vs KSU
Punt up 3 vs OSU
TO on downs vs WVU
Punt up 23 vs Texas
FG vs Tech
INT vs OU
TD vs TCU
Fumble vs Clemson

Scored on 5 (maybe 6) of our final possessions last year in 13 games

Final drives in 2022:

Punt up 32 vs SEMO
TO on downs up 3 vs Iowa
FG vs Ohio
FG vs Baylor
Missed FG vs Kansas
TO on downs vs KSU
Fumble vs Texas
TO on downs vs OU
TD vs WVU
TO on downs vs OSU

Scored on 3 of our 10 final possessions

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Really like these Bruns podcasts. He explains in detail why plays get blown up or are just bad schematically. The three issues I'm hearing are offensive linemen trying to move to the second level before the first level is blocked, offensive linemen seemingly not on the same page or not able to execute fundamental stuff, and then schematically why the hell do we keep motioning so that the motion brings an extra defender into the box, then we run it into the more-loaded box.

Bruns seems just as exasperated and frustrated with the inept offense as my group of Clone fans, he's just a tad better at explaining it than my usual - throw it to Blythe!

Well, we've refused to throw it to Blythe for years. I'm not even sure he's showing up with the team anymore.

Reactions: t-noah

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Rather than make up a history where Purdy wasn't clutch, here's the outcomes of the final meaningful drive of games where we were tied or down one score with Purdy at QB

1668441067795_image001.png

We scored on 60% of drives where we needed points to tie or win.

Edit: forgot to add the Clemson fumble, 56.25% is good.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I will listed to the pod later, but 1 million percent agree with the bolded. On runs that get blown up you almost always see 1 or 2 OL that are all by themselves 3 yards downfield. Its like they are trying to set up a screen, but its a run play LOL.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
If Jeff Saturday can come in and get the Colts a win. Maybe we can put Bruns in as OL Coach and get this cleaned up in these last 2 games.

To be fair, putting Matt Ryan back in as starter instead of Sam Ehlinger doesn't take a rocket scientist.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
In my opinion, the 4th down play was the 2nd worst of the game. The worst was calling a 2 yd crossing pattern on 2nd down from the 23 with 30 seconds left in the game and no timeouts. Thankfully it was incomplete but had it been caught, X most likely gets tackled in bounds and we lose 10 seconds trying to get lined up just to spike it leaving only 1 play on 4th down. The only time you run that play in that situation is if you have Tyreke Hill. That play call was a bad call for a jr high coach let alone someone making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I can't remember EXACTLY, but I believe the pocket was collapsing and dekkers was just trying to deliver it quick and X was technically open there, even if it was a bad part of the field to throw to. I can imagine that ideally that play should have developed for about 1 more second so Dekkers could hit X closer to the sideline, which is why X wasn't looking just yet.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I enjoyed the explanation of what's wrong with the OL. Sounds like scheme to me. And the big question is why nobody in Ames sees this, or does anything about it?

Maybe they should listen to this podcast?
sounds like both scheme and technique. That is coaching, they are not getting it done. Plus, Bruns pointed out the guys look tired, not very strong.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
I enjoyed the explanation of what's wrong with the OL. Sounds like scheme to me. And the big question is why nobody in Ames sees this, or does anything about it?

Maybe they should listen to this podcast?
Im sure the opposing D coordinators see it and know that they can stuff our running game.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Rather than make up a history where Purdy wasn't clutch, here's the outcomes of the final meaningful drive of games where we were tied or down one score with Purdy at QB

View attachment 105455

0 for 3 on the 2 point conversion after those TDs isn't encouraging either. Those are a call your best play situation and ours aren't hitting.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

View attachment 105455

Interesting, it appears we only won 5 of those games. I'd add the fumble vs Clemson to that list.

• Informative
Reactions: davegilbertson

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I couldn’t agree more. Why is he getting credit for pointing out things now that a great majority of us saw four games into the season?
bc it's a lot easier to criticize on a message board when you know you're further from the problem and couldn't be put in a position to propose a solution and wouldn't know what to do if you were given the opportunity.

Not saying that's true of you, but there's a lot more interpersonal dynamics at play. Bruns has probably met w/ Manning in person, probably thinks he's a solid guy. He's not insulated like the rest of us.

Cutting into someone you don't know and don't care what happens to them is a lot easier than having a difficult convo w/ someone you have a tangential relationship to, but not enough trust to have accountability convos.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
bc it's a lot easier to criticize on a message board when you know you're further from the problem and couldn't be put in a position to propose a solution and wouldn't know what to do if you were given the opportunity.

Not saying that's true of you, but there's a lot more interpersonal dynamics at play. Bruns has probably met w/ Manning in person, probably thinks he's a solid guy. He's not insulated like the rest of us.

Cutting into someone you don't know and don't care what happens to them is a lot easier than having a difficult convo w/ someone you have a tangential relationship to, but not enough trust to have accountability convos.
While I certainly agree with this point, it was a little tough to hear the "offense did enough" talk in defending the offense and OL against KU because if your freshman kicker ended up going 3/4 you put up all of 17 points against a freaking dog crap KU defense that couldn't stop anybody.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron