Brewery Discoveries on Vacation

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Did anyone get a Shut Up Kevin while you were there?

I don't think so? Is it good? There was a really friendly guy holding down the corner of the bar that knew the beers better than the bar maid though. He wasn't one of the brewers just a really regular regular. Like he knew where the ice and cans were etc...

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Miner Brewing in Hill City, SD was a place we stumbled across last year that had killer beer. They had a pretty restricted setting due to COVID, so looking forward to checking out their regular set up when we head out there next week
Great beer there.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I’ve been to a lot of beer cities and to me Asheville is the best beer city I’ve visited. Burial Beer Co. is my favorite in Asheville.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Kansas City

I'm embarrassed to say that it took me about 20 visits before visiting Boulevard. I know a lot of their mainstream stuff is kind of boring but their taproom is awesome and they have all their specialty beers. Beers like Dark Truth, Love Child, Rye on Rye on Rye, Rainstorm, and some experimental brews.

City Barrel and BK Artisan Ales are the two big ones I want to visit the next time I visit KC. I've heard KC Bier Co. is pretty cool if you like their kind of beer, which I don't.
KC Bier company is what I miss most about K. And the Bier Station.
Nashville- Jackalope Brewing and Black Abbey

Kansas City- Casual Animal and Double Shift
Diddo on the Boulevard tour in KC. That and WWI museum equals pretty good 1-2 days in KC. YMMV

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Kansas City

I'm embarrassed to say that it took me about 20 visits before visiting Boulevard. I know a lot of their mainstream stuff is kind of boring but their taproom is awesome and they have all their specialty beers. Beers like Dark Truth, Love Child, Rye on Rye on Rye, Rainstorm, and some experimental brews.

City Barrel and BK Artisan Ales are the two big ones I want to visit the next time I visit KC. I've heard KC Bier Co. is pretty cool if you like their kind of beer, which I don't.
KC Bier company is what I miss most about K. And the Bier Station.
I really like KC Bier beer. They've got a 12 bottle pack, I think at Sam's, with 4 varieties, 3 of each. I liked all 4. One of the KC Bier beers is very unusual. I think either its the "Weizen" or the "Dunkel" flavor. I didn't like it at first but I do now. The other 3 in the 12 pack are great, more standard but really good beer IMO.

I really want to visit KC Bier Brewrey. Do they have a brewrey tour? Or just the Bavarian-style Bierhalle & Biergarten ?

edit: Here's the 12 pk Bier box from KC Bier:
KC Bier Co. – We put the i back in Bier. German-style beer in Kansas City

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't think so? Is it good? There was a really friendly guy holding down the corner of the bar that knew the beers better than the bar maid though. He wasn't one of the brewers just a really regular regular. Like he knew where the ice and cans were etc...

It’s an old school IPA, real similar to a Surly Furious.

Whenever someone gets one, the bartender rings a bell and the whole place yells “Shup up, Kevin”.

Reactions: NWICY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Heading up to Madison next week, any tap room recommendations? New Glarus is closed. I have Octopi, Funk Factory, and possibly Working Draft on my list.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Heading up to Madison next week, any tap room recommendations? New Glarus is closed. I have Octopi, Funk Factory, and possibly Working Draft on my list.
I really like Funk Factory and Working Draft. Make sure to stop at a Steve's liquor for beer to take home.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Also, if you’re going from DSM to Madison, do yourself a favor and stop in Dubuque. Great beer scene there.
We did Dubuque awhile back and it was great. I do want check out Textile in Dyersville. Franklin is pretty good

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Karben 4 and Ale Asylum are very good Madison breweries. Stop by the Old Fashioned on the square for the best burger in the city.

Reactions: Al_4_State

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Also, if you’re going from DSM to Madison, do yourself a favor and stop in Dubuque. Great beer scene there.

Al not to derail the thread, but have you rode the single track trails in Austin not much vertical but pretty twisty, nice shade and pretty fun. Not real technical IMO, but a nice ride.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Al not to derail the thread, but have you rode the single track trails in Austin not much vertical but pretty twisty, nice shade and pretty fun. Not real technical IMO, but a nice ride.

I have. My grandparents live in St Ansgar, and we visited them one Saturday last summer and decided to hit Angry Hog before heading home. Wife dropped me off and went to HyVee and I rode to the brewery after hitting the singletrack.

Really nice trail network given the terrain. I wouldn’t drive the hour when I’m 20 minutes from Decorah, but it’s a very nice system if you have a reason to be there.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron