Brackins vs. Aldrich debate

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
If I'm a player, I'm leaving any player open who hits 2 of 8 3-pointers. Aldrich didn't guard Brackins. And if you want smack-talk with no relation to the game, may I point out that ISU had guys wearing capes in the front row and the fans booed their hearts out when Cameron Lee got fouls called on him that he intentionally committed?

We weren't booing Lee, we just wanted to let the refs know we were still here actually.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
not many people here saying Aldrich is not a great player, or that we wouldn't gladly take him for the Clones. What most of us are saying is we aren't buying he is better than Brackins.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
- Brackins played fantastic today. There is no denying that. There were many times this game that I was wondering why Kevin Durant decided to grow a fauxhawk and put on a ISU #21 jersey.

- Still, saying that one player is definitely better than another after one game is silly, especially when they guarded each other no more than 5 possessions each. If you want to make conclusions after one game, one could just as easy say that Cole Aldrich was better than Tyler Hansbrough after the Final Four game vs. UNC last year.

- Also, it was pretty clear what Self's defensive gameplan was. He was going to shut down Iowa State's offensive weaknesses and make Brackins score 50 if ISU were to win. It's a gameplan that's been successful for KU in the past (see here and here for a couple of examples), and ISU is a perfect team to use it against. Gaurding Brackins tonight was three freshmen and a junior who has played less than 60 minutes all season.

- Part of being a good player is consistency. Sure, Brackins looked like a lottery pick tonight. But he's also had some games where he has laid an egg. Aldrich, on the other hand, never seems to disappear. He has scored in double figures every single game this season.

- If Brackins really is better than Aldrich, it's a surprise that NBA scouts think the complete opposite. (another example)

- It might be interesting to put the question of who is the better player to Doug Gottlieb or Jay Bilas next time they do one of their online chats. I'd put $20 or as many CF credits as you want that they would pick Cole.

Aldrich is just plain awful. He could not stay with VanDerBeken. If JVB could hit the open shots that he has been hitting all season, he would have schooled Aldrich, and we would have won, going away. He just couldn't buy a shot. Either the way, the reason ku won had nothing to do with any of their worthless post players. It had to do with Collins making everything early and us missing 20 3-pointers, probably about half of them wide open...

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
not many people here saying Aldrich is not a great player, or that we wouldn't gladly take him for the Clones. What most of us are saying is we aren't buying he is better than Brackins.

I realize that, but no one has really pointed out any evidence outside of today's game that says Brackins is better. I've pointed out many stats that suggest Aldrich is better. And I've pointed out opinions from three seperate NBA draft scouts that say Aldrich is better. And one (maybe the best) college analyst said Aldrich is near the top of big men in the country, putting him ahead of Thabeet, who is projected as a top 5 pick in next years draft.

The ISU fans in the thread haven't pointed out any other sources other than one box score and their own biased opinions.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Aldrich is just plain awful. He could not stay with VanDerBeken. If JVB could hit the open shots that he has been hitting all season, he would have schooled Aldrich, and we would have won, going away. He just couldn't buy a shot. Either the way, the reason ku won had nothing to do with any of their worthless post players. It had to do with Collins making everything early and us missing 20 3-pointers, probably about half of them wide open...

16 points, 12 rebounds, and holding your man to 2 of 8 3-point shooting is awful. Only on CF.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aldrich is a great player...trust your eyes though...he's better defensively and much, much stronger...otherwise-Brackins is as good as him or better in every facet of the game...you couldn't possibly have watched that game and came out of it saying Aldrich is...1-as explosive as Brackins 2-as good of a ballhandler of Brackins 3-has as good of interior moves as Brackins 4-has as good of touch as Brackins 5-has as good of mid-range to outside game as Brackins...

Give Brackins Aldrich's supporting staff, and his ppg might go down...but his fg percentage skyrockets...and the national pundits talk much, much, much more about him.

Put Aldrich on ISU, and I promise he's not putting up 42 and 14 on Kansas...he also probably isn't getting near the amount of talk he's getting now nationally-or ranked as high by nba draft "experts" (that had DeAndre Jordan as a top 10 pick)...

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
You don't have to be here. It's not like your opinion will be missed. Go get lost in a wheat field. I hope his mom didn't read his lips to what he was saying to CA!

Get rid of anyone that has a difference of opinion!!!

Last edited:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
They are two different players. As for who's better, it truly depends on what you're looking for.

Both will play in the NBA. But, the reason Aldrich is on most draft sites boards and not Brackins is in large part due to exposure. He was helped out a bunch with the way he played in the NCAA tournament on national TV. Craig hasn't been on national TV really at all, except for today. Scouts know about him for sure though and he should get a big boost on the NBA draft sites after today. Not that those really mean anything.( A good example from last year is Jason Thompson...he was a 6'11 center from Rider who came into the year as a virtual unknown by the draft sites, most didn't have him listed at all, he climbed up the ranks, eventually being taken #14 by the Kings.)

As for Aldrich, it is clear he has improved his skills quite a bit from last season.

I would love to have him on Iowa State as would any school. He's a true 7 footer that can move his feet pretty well, rebounds every night and can make an open jumper. He's solid all the way around and is a good defender. He matched up with Brackins only a handful of times and on one occasion blocked CB's shot in a one-on-one situation.

NBA people like Aldrich because he can play the center spot, and there are not too many true centers out there.

But, Craig plays a different position..he is the prototypical new-age big forward. And thus it's hard to compare.

In terms of value, true centers are harder to find than a forward. So, if they were to both be in the draft, Aldrich would more than likely get drafted first, but that's not to say he is a better player. It just depends on what you need on your team.

If you want to read more on Brackins' ability to play in the NBA..feel free and visit the blog below.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
They are two different players. As for who's better, it truly depends on what you're looking for.

Both will play in the NBA. But, the reason Aldrich is on most draft sites boards and not Brackins is in large part due to exposure. He was helped out a bunch with the way he played in the NCAA tournament on national TV. Craig hasn't been on national TV really at all, except for today. Scouts know about him for sure though and he should get a big boost on the NBA draft sites after today. Not that those really mean anything.( A good example from last year is Jason Thompson...he was a 6'11 center from Rider who came into the year as a virtual unknown by the draft sites, most didn't have him listed at all, he climbed up the ranks, eventually being taken #14 by the Kings.)

As for Aldrich, it is clear he has improved his skills quite a bit from last season.

I would love to have him on Iowa State as would any school. He's a true 7 footer that can move his feet pretty well, rebounds every night and can make an open jumper. He's solid all the way around and is a good defender. He matched up with Brackins only a handful of times and on one occasion blocked CB's shot in a one-on-one situation.

NBA people like Aldrich because he can play the center spot, and there are not too many true centers out there.

But, Craig plays a different position..he is the prototypical new-age big forward. And thus it's hard to compare.

In terms of value, true centers are harder to find than a forward. So, if they were to both be in the draft, Aldrich would more than likely get drafted first, but that's not to say he is a better player. It just depends on what you need on your team.

If you want to read more on Brackins' ability to play in the NBA..feel free and visit the blog below.

Aldrich just is not good. Half of his points today came on shots he had no business making. He's got terrible form. I liken him to Alex Thompson overall, with better hands...

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Good analysis on the Blum post, and the website. I also enjoyed your podcast. I'll probably listen to more of them in the future.

I think the Darrell Arthur comparison is pretty accurate, having watched both players quite a bit. I think Brackins is about what Darrell Arthur would be if he were the only option on his team. Arthur was probably option #3 at best while he was at KU, but I think if you put them in a similar situation, they are a similar player with Arthur probably getting a slight nod for a little more raw talent.

Last edited:

mpaul82

Jan 24, 2009
WDM Iowa
So Averaging nearly a Double - Double a game, leading the conference in blocked shots, shooting nearly 80% at the Foul Line is bad.... Looked to me like ISU could use a few bad players like Cole Aldrich

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Cole Aldrich is a very very good college basketball player and will be a very good NBA player. I don't understand why you guys are so scared to admit that. Aldrich and Brackins have very different styles of play and it doesn't really matter who's better.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Aldrich just is not good. Half of his points today came on shots he had no business making. He's got terrible form. I liken him to Alex Thompson overall, with better hands...
Did you really just liken a future lottery pick to Alex Thompson? I would venture to say Brackins didn't have any business making a lot of his shots today too. Both Brackins and Aldrich need work on their form, Aldrich's is just more painful to watch.

mpaul82

Jan 24, 2009
WDM Iowa
Cole's 16 points today... were more than ISU's starters not named Brackins. Peterson, Staiger, Garrett, and Hamilton combined for 13 pts on 4 of 20 shooting. Cole's 12 rebounds were more than the 9 rebounds those 4 combined for. But Yeah Cole sucked I wish he'd transfer

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Cole's 16 points today... were more than ISU's starters not named Brackins. Peterson, Staiger, Garrett, and Hamilton combined for 13 pts on 4 of 20 shooting. Cole's 12 rebounds were more than the 9 rebounds those 4 combined for. But Yeah Cole sucked I wish he'd transfer

No one really said he sucked besides one or two people. He's pretty good but nothing special. He's tall, and has a pretty good shot but his form is horrid. So go troll KU boards. Thanks.

mpaul82

Jan 24, 2009
WDM Iowa
Brackins is a Stud no doubt, but they play different positions... and have very different roles. Lots of respect to him he's a hell of a player. But you can't honestly say that cole is a bad player if you have watched any KU games this year

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Brackins is a Stud no doubt, but they play different positions... and have very different roles. Lots of respect to him he's a hell of a player. But you can't honestly say that cole is a bad player if you have watched any KU games this year

Do you not know how to read? Are you from Missouri? I never said he was a bad player FFS. I don't watch any games really besides Iowa State. I dislike Self and KU so I don't watch them. It's alright we got into Cole's head today.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Once again, only 1 or 2 people have said he is a bad player. I would take him over Hamilton in a heartbeat. All people are saying is that we think Brackins is better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron