Bracketology 2024

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Question, in that graphic is the SoS the strength of the complete schedule or just the conference.

Because that would negate the whole non con being too weak, saying our overall sched is still very strong because our conference sos was so strong?
Overall strength of SOS, includes non con and conference. It's why I have no idea what TJ should do going forward, we ended up 16-36 overall SOS depending on where you look. They seriously want ISU to schedule super tough in the non con and be in the top 3 SOS every year? I get that 325 is too high for non con but is 100-200 good enough? Those are the questions I want to know going forward

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

This is the rule from the NCAA. That being said these are shall nots, meaning it is permissable to have Iowa State and Houston meet in the elite 8 or regional finals. But the long standing practice is to avoid that as much as possible. So it's not against the rules but it is highly unlikely. In the scenario I was creating Marquette was 8th overall. ISU was in Detroit, Tennessee was in Dallas, and Arizona was in LA. That only leaves the East for Marquette. At this point they could seed Marquette there because they cannot go elsewhere. Move Marquette to the top three and slide the top three to the last two. Slide Arizona or Tennessee down and Marquette up. I am not sure which of these options they would choose.

All of that being said if Tennessee is the top 2 seed and we are next, they would take Detroit, our next location would be Dallas but the committee would likely look at Houston there and say okay we have two other sites, what's the next closest? Boston, okay ISU you are going to Boston.

This is the can of worms I was trying to avoid lol
Also this though…

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Overall strength of SOS, includes non con and conference. It's why I have no idea what TJ should do going forward, we ended up 16-36 overall SOS depending on where you look. They seriously want ISU to schedule super tough in the non con and be in the top 3 SOS every year? I get that 325 is too high for non con but is 100-200 good enough? Those are the questions I want to know going forward
Am I reading it right that UConn has a non con SOS of 285 according to KenPom? Also has our offensive at 55 now, which is a nice jump.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
In bracket matrix, ISU is #1 seed in 7 brackets, #2 seed in 85 brackets, so looks like it will be a #2 seed. They would be the top #2 seed (#5 overall), so if possible hopefully paired with the lowest #1 seed (#4 overall) so it really wouldn't matter if you are #4 or #5.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Why are so many saying we will be in east? Wouldn’t we hav to be the 8 overall if UConn is 1? Just not making sense

That’s how I thought it was, but I don’t know for sure.

1/8 (overall seeds)
2/7
3/6
4/5

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
In bracket matrix, ISU is #1 seed in 7 brackets, #2 seed in 85 brackets, so looks like it will be a #2 seed. They would be the top #2 seed (#5 overall), so if possible hopefully paired with the lowest #1 seed (#4 overall) so it really wouldn't matter if you are #4 or #5.
If we’re a 2, we definitely want and deserve the Midwest with Purdue

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
That’s how I thought it was, but I don’t know for sure.

1/8 (overall seeds)
2/7
3/6
4/5
No, but they try to balance regions by adding the top four seeds in each and want them within 5 points, around 34 total. It is not a "hard" rule but an attempt is made. It makes it somewhat difficult to keep Arizona in the west if they are overall 8, about have to put overall 9 and 13 west to make it balance.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Okay non ISU post, how many top 4 seeds will each conference get?

Big 12 4
SEC 4
Big East 3 (their only bids?)
Big 10 3
ACC 2

I feel like I am missing someone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
At least we are so much stronger inside than last year where Clingan killed us with 15 pts, 10 rebounds. He didn't even play that many minute or he'd have doubled those numbers.

Don't like being on a path with the overall #1 and possibly as the top 2 seed like we were in 2000, but I don't think anybody is an automatic mismatch for us this year with the depth. Even that 2000 team was not as deep as this year's team, starting five was at least as good though.
We won't be in Boston if we are the top 2 seed. Arizona is irrelevant, need to finish ahead of Tennessee and Marquette.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's a real chicken or egg thing with our KSU loss. Win that and the argument for the last #1 becomes pretty clear...but that loss is part of what inspired the amazing play in KC from almost every interview I've heard with players.

In the long run it probably helped spur the team, especially since Houston won out anyway and it didn't cost a share of B12 regular season title.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneSpinning

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it's been at least 15 years since they've done the tournament this way and we still have people that don't understand.

In football season someone suggested play action for play calling based on it working in their 2nd grader's flag football game.

Iirc that same poster couldn't get over ISU losing to lowly Kansas who had been ranked and were pretty good as it was, which was unrelated to when they've been bad.

Reality does not come easy for some.

• Agree
Reactions: Acer88

Help Support Us

Become a patron