BLUM: Iowa State has an offense

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Purdy's timing with his receivers looked much better. I give credit the O-line for giving him time and space to step into his passes. I hope we can keep that protection level up going into conference play. I loved seeing Kolar get so many touches. He uses his size so well on routes. One other reassuring thing I took away: If our WRs struggle getting separation, I feel like we can still move the ball effectively though the air to our TEs and RBs.

I'm curious to see how the touches are going to be distributed for our running backs moving forward. Croney and Lang seem like they need more touches to get in the flow of the game than Kene, but I'm not sure Kene is the every-down back. Hall is clearly tentative right now, but you can see the potential. Brock looked comfortable making quick cuts and good decisions, but he was also had more time and space to work with since he was facing tired legs and back-ups. I admittedly didn't spend a lot of time paying attention to their blocking ability. Who has the upper hand here? I'm guessing this is where the older guys truly show their value.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Purdy's timing with his receivers looked much better. I give credit the O-line for giving him time and space to step into his passes. I hope we can keep that protection level up going into conference play. I loved seeing Kolar get so many touches. He uses his size so well on routes. One other reassuring thing I took away: If our WRs struggle getting separation, I feel like we can still move the ball effectively though the air to our TEs and RBs.

I'm curious to see how the touches are going to be distributed for our running backs moving forward. Croney and Lang seem like they need more touches to get in the flow of the game than Kene, but I'm not sure Kene is the every-down back. Hall is clearly tentative right now, but you can see the potential. Brock looked comfortable making quick cuts and good decisions, but he was also had more time and space to work with since he was facing tired legs and back-ups. I admittedly didn't spend a lot of time paying attention to their blocking ability. Who has the upper hand here? I'm guessing this is where the older guys truly show their value.

I'm note sure Kene can stay healthy and other than blocking, I'm not sure Croney does anything better... Pick a horse and ride 'em!

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Pump on the brakes a little. To use the phrase, "Once is a fluke, Twice is a coincidence, three times a trend".

The offense has shown through three games: good average yards per play, and turnovers per game. Trends

The offense has only been explosive in one game. Right now this is fluke status. Need more data points before I start drinking the kool-aid.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and BigCyFan

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is all about Purdy and an improved OL that gives him time. Purdy's accuracy in a clean pocket is beautiful to watch. A couple plays that we're continuing to see pop up:

-9-12 yard sideline routes just over the linebackers to the TE
-Milton wide open on deep crossing routes
-Jones shallow crossing routes for 4-6 yards

I love the variety and using the entire field and roster. Purdy's adding a little Mahomes vision misdirection (not a full no-look, thank god) as well. If he keeps developing at his current pace, he is going to be an all-time great at ISU.

Reactions: The_Architect

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Pump on the brakes a little. To use the phrase, "Once is a fluke, Twice is a coincidence, three times a trend".

The offense has shown through three games: good average yards per play, and turnovers per game. Trends

The offense has only been explosive in one game. Right now this is fluke status. Need more data points before I start drinking the kool-aid.
What I was trying to illustrate is there are plenty of data points beyond just Saturday. With Purdy as QB, Iowa State has consistently been one of the nation's top offenses. There is reason to think it is more of a trend than a one-off.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I love you Blum, but I will believe it when I see it against a real defense this season and without David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler to paper over everything else.

I thought ULM was decent, but I think it was more Florida State is really bad right now.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I love you Blum, but I will believe it when I see it against a real defense this season and without David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler to paper over everything else.

I thought ULM was decent, but I think it was more Florida State is really bad right now.
Fair enough!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What I was trying to illustrate is there are plenty of data points beyond just Saturday. With Purdy as QB, Iowa State has consistently been one of the nation's top offenses. There is reason to think it is more of a trend than a one-off.

"Well, I guess you could say that Iowa State's offense isn't just smoke and water"

giphy.gif

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Randy Pete is that you?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
While I am not ready to claim that ISU is the greatest show on turf, I will admit that this team has a lot of ability to move the ball. The two big things that hurt ISU in terms of scoring points against Iowa and UNI was blunders and the defenses inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. If they hold Iowa to 6 of 19 instead of 10 of 19 on third down the ISU offense would have had more opportunities to score. There were just very few possessions in both those games because the other team ate a lot of clock, and ISU could not seem to get a quick stop.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Better? No but UNI is probably the most disciplined defense we will face. When I re watched the UNI game I was really impressed with how few mistakes the UNI defense made.
Toughest schematic matchup. Although the sheer talent of some upcoming teams year will be capable of being an even bigger challenge imo.

We inherently want to take only what’s there and UNI was very skillful in giving us just enough to trip over ourselves. That’s a bad combination in terms of this offense. They were coached to avoid mistakes and we weren’t wanting to take the chances to create any. In future games we’ll be more prepared in using Purdy as an equalizer imo.