BLUM: Georges Niang, Man in the Middle

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Seems just like yesterday that he hit that game winner against WV and ran into Cyclone Alley... Kid deserves to have an award/scholarship named after him. He embodies absolutely everything that we could ever want in a Cyclone. Glad to have you Georges!

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Georges is my favorite Cyclone of all-time. I will likely shed some tears after his last game... Hopefully its tears of joy after a national title!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Georges is the best. We are so lucky that he picked Iowa state. He and the rest of his teammates have brought me so much joy and fun over past 4 years. The tiny bit of heartbreak has been far outweighed by the joy.

And it is hard to imagine not seeing him out there next November.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Great article Blum. Niang is already All Time ISU great...
I have enjoyed Geroges 4 years as much as Fizer, Tinsley, Cato, Sullivan, and Stinson (of course other than Sullivan all the others didn't play for 4). I remember taping Tilton high school 5 years ago to see Georges, ESPNU was giving attention to his teamate Noel, and watched him dominate the AAU circut and was the heart and soul of this team. I recall thinking he was a lot like Royce and be a great fit in CFH system as a big who could pass but even more than that his outside shooting and craftyness impressed me from the start. My only question was athetism at the Big 12 level, all those doubts were eased in the first game at the Fog Blum described.

Niang's career maybe winding down but his career isn't over and I think there is a lot left to write this year to cap a great ISU story.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Great work Blum, one of the best articles I have read on Niang. It truly is hard to put into words what Georges has meant to this program during his time here, but you did a damn good job writing about it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks Blum, one of the best reads on this site ever.

I am going to cry like a baby the last time Georges walks off the court in Hilton.

Favorite Cyclone ever. Never seems to complain about the university shamelessly using him for promotion. The College of Business is always promoting itself with pictures of Georges and Matt. He is an artful Hawkeye troll, much more inspired than the likes of Aaron White. Always great on the interviews. An extremely smart basketball player. So very proud he is a Cyclone. Going to miss him like no other.

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
This is fantastic. Definitely gonna be an emotional senior night.

While reading this, couldn't help but think we've had some really tough breaks in the NCAA tournament over Georges' career. We are so due for a really special run and with no really standout teams anything can happen. I'm hoping Georges caps off his career with a huge tournament.

It's gonna be a wild March.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Jesus who is cutting onions in here? Great article Blum. Speaking of schooling Notre Dame, where can I find highlights of that game?

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
This is fantastic. Definitely gonna be an emotional senior night.

While reading this, couldn't help but think we've had some really tough breaks in the NCAA tournament over Georges' career. We are so due for a really special run and with no really standout teams anything can happen. I'm hoping Georges caps off his career with a huge tournament.

It's gonna be a wild March.

I think you're right:) Wouldn't that be a special way to cap off Niang's career? Wow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron