BLOG: Thoughts on yesterday's CyHawk dual

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I have no idea if Wilcke or Colbray would win; either outcome seems plausible. But if you think a Wilcke-Colbray match could have elevated this turd of a dual to “high caliber wrestling,” then you are far more bullish on either of those two wrestlers’ abilities than I.

If Brands cheated you out of the chance to watch a contested bout by withholding Wilcke, Holloway, et al, would you also agree that Dresser cheated you out of seven other contested bouts by failing to field any legitimate competition at 125, 141, 157, 165, 174, 184, and 285? Those wrestlers gave it their best effort, but they weren’t contesting those bouts beyond simply prolonging them.

Again, I disagree. I came to watch wrestling. I didn't says i wxpected to win or be dominant. I expected a bloodbath. I just wanted to show my support as a season ticket holder.

I do not hold this team against dresser. Sometimes you have to play with the hand you were dealt. You do what you can with the hand, but don't expect much.

The team overall may not have been much competition, but they competed at every weight they had a body at.

I'm not saying brands didn't have the power to do what he did. Obviously he did. I'm not even whining about, but I will call it was it is - an apple move.

Why risk your perfect victory with a loss. You can just go home with an asterisk next to your total victory.

Brands shows his true character. I understand what he did. It just shows a lack of that character.

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
Wow. A lot of anger over a match that wasn't wrestled in a very one sided meet. Dresser is doing what he should do. Create some interest in a nearly dead rivalry. Reminds me of the early 70's when Iowa and Iowa State hadn't met in any sport in decades. Gary Kurdelmeier (fresh off of hiring an assistant named Dan Gable) scheduled the powerful Iowa State Cyclones to come to Iowa City to wrestle the Hawkeyes. Iowa State won easily, but the rivalry was born.

Kevin Dresser is in a perfect position to do the same thing. Calling the other coach chicken **** just ramps it up. I am a fan of both schools. Would love to see the focus of college wrestling to move back to the state of Iowa!

• Agree
Reactions: VirginSturgeon

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I like all our coaches but KD is the one I’d mostly likely want to have a beer with.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
I agree Boxer007.....That this Wrestling program is a MESS....as I look at my Cardinal Cap which Sez: "Iowa State 1987 Wrestling National Champions". Boys we are a long ways downhill from our last Natl Championship that Jim Gibbons and Eddie Banach brought us.....NO where to go except UP....Unless we want to continue to be the doormat for the other Wrestling Schools....
I say trade wrestling in for baseball. But that's probably just me.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This thread really brings me back to the 2012 or so timeframe. It has it all. Newly created accounts from Iowa fans pretending to be ISU fans, people calling for baseball to be back. People dropping in to let us know how little they care about wrestling. People who think being competitive with Iowa since Gable got there is the norm and not the exception, Really just the whole checklist.

blangISU

Feb 5, 2018
Sioux City
This thread really brings me back to the 2012 or so timeframe. It has it all. Newly created accounts from Iowa fans pretending to be ISU fans, people calling for baseball to be back. People dropping in to let us know how little they care about wrestling. People who think being competitive with Iowa since Gable got there is the norm and not the exception, Really just the whole checklist.

From a casual reader, when I load up the forum, I'm coming back to the most discussion I've seen in a long time, be it good or bad. So there's something to be said about that!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
From a casual reader, when I load up the forum, I'm coming back to the most discussion I've seen in a long time, be it good or bad. So there's something to be said about that!

This is true, there is more action on here than usual. However, there's been a trend of activity picking up whenever things are going poorly. For instance, I remember last year I looked back at a couple past threads, and a thread talking about one bad dual had 3x more posts than the thread talking about Kyven Gadson's national championship (where he pinned Kyle F****** Snyder).

Lately, there have been many more bad things to talk about than good, so I understand why we're all talking about the Iowa dual, but it can still be very frustrating for people who are always here when everyone else comes in just to talk down on the program.

Everything's not going to be sunshine and rainbows, and that's fine, but let's make sure we're in here supporting the team when things are going well, too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron