BLOG: A few notes on the 2017-18 basketball schedule

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Mizzou will have talent but many will be in their first ever college game. Not scurred.

Not to be a downer, but we're not exactly laden with experience either.

We bring back a Sixth Man, a bench rotation guy in NWB, and a true sophomore who struggled to find minutes before becoming a starter late in the year, but only averaged 6th or 7th man minutes because of how much we played small with Jackson.

We all know what we lost in those four seniors. I would have loved to seen last year's team go into Columbia -- Thomas guarding Porter, Deonte trying to one-up him on the other end with his grown man's body, Naz "don't care" jacking threes, etc., stuff like that.

Beverly has been around the block, but we are not even sure where he is in the rotation.

The relevant sources (CW, JS) have Brase as a starter if he is healthy and ready, but he is coming off some nasty injuries, a long recovery, and lost two years of playing.

That is not a lot of experience and a lot of question marks on our side. I think we can do it -- I like our new talent, too, not sure Martin is much of a coach but rather just an ace recruiter, and figure we will have at least a little more unit cohesion than them, and if somebody like Jackson gets hot, well, it could be a nice night for us. I just would not bet on it with any substantial sum, even if it will be a fascinating game to see where both programs are headed.

• Informative
Reactions: Cat

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
When was the last time we had a season opener this exciting? It's not at Hilton, but between our own new players and low expectations and Mizzou's revived program, it should be a real fun game for us fans. A loss is expected, but a win on the road would be huge.

For a while.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
MU's front court will be good and a lot of talent but they will be weak at guard. That is the number one thing holding them back and they have been discussing that on 810 here in KC. Plus Tilmon may be out for the game vs us for his MIP.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines

If he arrives on campus, that will be good news. That "might" put the game on ESPN and possibly in a good time slot. Don't ever doubt the positive effects of national coverage.

More importantly, this could give us a game on the road against a half-way decent Power 5 school. Win or lose, we will need that experience down the road.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
DIlHbOSVoAAw--d.jpg

Reactions: IASTATE07

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Home game on New Years Day at 5 pm. Believe going up against one of the College Football Playoff Semi-Finals at that time.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
So this is what it feels like to not be a projected Top 3 or 4 Big 12 team. Its been awhile!
Although, I'm surprised the Kansas game at Hilton isn't on Big Monday. That game seems to usually be on Big Monday or primetime Saturday regardless of how bad or good ISU is supposed to be. That game's atmosphere is probably top 1 or 2 in the Big 12 and top 10 nationally.

• Creative
  • Winner
Reactions: HopalongAtc and Cat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron