SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
what is the skywriters tour?

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
what is the skywriters tour?

I know you are probably being sarcastic, however for those of us that dont know:

Prior to the formation of the Big 12 Conference, sportswriters and sports broadcasters covering football in the Big Eight and Southwest conferences would gather in a central location and take off on the annual Skywriters Tour...an eight-day trek from campus-to-campus around the respective conferences to cover the preseason football practices. The tour provided fans with unprecedented daily coverage from each school. In the early years the tour consisted mostly of writers traveling by charter air service and thus was dubbed as the Skywriters Tour. In an effort to bring Big 12 fans additional insight into the fall camps from around the Big 12, we have dispatched Wendell Barnhouse and Melanie Weiser on the 2008 Big 12 Virtual Skywriters Tour.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I know you are probably being sarcastic, however for those of us that dont know:

Prior to the formation of the Big 12 Conference, sportswriters and sports broadcasters covering football in the Big Eight and Southwest conferences would gather in a central location and take off on the annual Skywriters Tour...an eight-day trek from campus-to-campus around the respective conferences to cover the preseason football practices. The tour provided fans with unprecedented daily coverage from each school. In the early years the tour consisted mostly of writers traveling by charter air service and thus was dubbed as the Skywriters Tour. In an effort to bring Big 12 fans additional insight into the fall camps from around the Big 12, we have dispatched Wendell Barnhouse and Melanie Weiser on the 2008 Big 12 Virtual Skywriters Tour.

i wasn't. Thanks for the info.

Lots has changed since the pre-Interwebs ....

-keep

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I used to LOVE the Skywriters tour. And the DMR would always save the ISU write-up for a Sunday and publish it in the Big Peach. Every morning I would wake up and read about a Big 8 football team and the anticipation would build until the Sunday Big Peach and ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron