Bill Self to Okie St ??

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
One more thought NUM1 why do you have to turn every thread into a hate Mac thread. We know you don't like him and probably never will. You don't have to remind every post.:no:

What? I have not turned this into a "hate Mac" thread. I barely even mentioned him and only in the context that many posters on this site call McDermott "great" and then knock Bill Self left and right...which is clearly ludicrous...even if you hate KU (as I do).

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
KU has high expectations - Self knew that before he took the job, and if he's too much of a baby to handle it than it's his fault.

Ben Howland has been to 3 straight final fours - You should check out the UCLA boards to find out what their fans think of him losing those 3 straight.

The way Kansas fans have treated him (Paying him like an oil baron and fawning over his teams and players, selling out every game) is exactly what every coach wants.

I wonder how many other CBB fan bases have a coach that has never had a winning season at his school and has never won an NCAA Tournament game at any school and yet is continually touted as being a "great coach" by many of the faithful? Not many I would guess.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I wonder how many other CBB fan bases have a coach that has never had a winning season at his school and has never won an NCAA Tournament game at any school and yet is continually touted as being a "great coach" by many of the faithful? Not many I would guess.

It's funny that the post after you say you're not trashing Mac you trash Mac. In the future I'll try to use smaller words that I can spell. I hope that will make you happier.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Nothing about Self in particular, but I think that college coaches as a lot are quite selfish. They are always quite eager to get their contract renegotiated after a good season... And, by the same token, I have never seen one offer to take a lower salary, or give up something after a bad season.

Actually, Bob Knight did at TTech...he didn't take his salary his 1st or 2nd year there because he said he didn't think he earned it.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
why is mcdermott and self being compared? hahaha, self got like 4 mcdonalds all americans in on class no wonder he's better

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
Actually, Bob Knight did at TTech...he didn't take his salary his 1st or 2nd year there because he said he didn't think he earned it.

The reason Bobby did that was, he was receiving severance pay from Indiana and this severance pay would be reduced by however much TT was going to pay him. By not taking a salary from TT, it forced UI to pay him the full severance. Just a way for Knight to get his last digs into UI. It had nothing to with Bob having a big heart.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The reason Bobby did that was, he was receiving severance pay from Indiana and this severance pay would be reduced by however much TT was going to pay him. By not taking a salary from TT, it forced UI to pay him the full severance. Just a way for Knight to get his last digs into UI. It had nothing to with Bob having a big heart.

He had a heart?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Self isnt going anywhere. KU will match any Pickens offer to keep him. They kept Roy from UNC twice before he finally went and that took a call from Dean Smith to convince him to leave. KU is one of the top college BB coaching jobs in the country. You get McD AA with little effort, you go to the tourny every year, you have a good shot at a Sweet 16 every year, you dont rebuild you reload, and KU will keep you around if you make a Final 4 now and then. You go to OSU and you have to rebuild a program, you are not sure who your boss really is, you move away from the KC area to the middle of nowhere, you might miss the tourny when you are rebuilding again, when you just get things rolling you lose your job, and you have to wear orange.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Self isnt going anywhere. KU will match any Pickens offer to keep him. They kept Roy from UNC twice before he finally went and that took a call from Dean Smith to convince him to leave. KU is one of the top college BB coaching jobs in the country. You get McD AA with little effort, you go to the tourny every year, you have a good shot at a Sweet 16 every year, you dont rebuild you reload, and KU will keep you around if you make a Final 4 now and then. You go to OSU and you have to rebuild a program, you are not sure who your boss really is, you move away from the KC area to the middle of nowhere, you might miss the tourny when you are rebuilding again, when you just get things rolling you lose your job, and you have to wear orange.

If Pickens steps up like it is rumored, I doubt KU will match the monetary offer, but they will take care of Self. KU kept Roy, but it had more to do with Roy timing his departure than KU keeping him.

That said, I agree that there is a huge downside to moving to Stillwater, not the least of which is that Self looks better in blue than orange (Self is an autumn). However, to get a huge check to go home has to be tempting. Especially when you are still in a top conference with a school that has some BB cred (two Final Fours since the 90s).

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It's funny that the post after you say you're not trashing Mac you trash Mac. In the future I'll try to use smaller words that I can spell. I hope that will make you happier.

If you think this is trashing & bashing you aint seen nuthin yet if olde mcderm cant win at least 20 games next year and win at least one game in the ncaa tournament!!!

Its time for olde mcderm to stop blowing smoke and start winning some games!!!

LOSING IS GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If you think this is trashing & bashing you aint seen nuthin yet if olde mcderm cant win at least 20 games next year and win at least one game in the ncaa tournament!!!

Its time for olde mcderm to stop blowing smoke and start winning some games!!!

LOSING IS GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was unaware of Mac's new nickname! It sounds so old-timey! :eek:

Nobody likes losing, but I think 20 wins next year (while possible) is maybe a little out of our reach. Our guard play should be much improved, but we don't have a lot in the way of bigs.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

This is not "trashing" McDermott at all.

All I am doing is calling into question the flawed "logic" of someone that in one post would call McDermott a "great coach" and then in another post would only give Self credit for being a "good coach".

I understand not liking KU but to not give Self the credit he deserves is quite petty. The guy can really coach and has won everywhere he has been.

Frankly, I am not trying to compare McDermott to Self at all. In my opinion, about 98-99% of the coaches in the country would not deserve to be compared with Self. I don't know the answer, but I wonder how many other coaches, besides Bill Self, have taken 3 different teams (by this I mean 3 different schools) to at least the Elite 8 in the NCAA Tournament? I would bet the list is pretty darned short.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

I do agree with your overall point that KU has a great BB program.

However, you really are understating how "easy" it is to win at KU (or any school for that matter). Frankly, it is a little tougher than just "rolling the ball out there"...just ask Matt Doherty how easy it was at UNC (probably even a better BB program than KU)...for example (he went 8-20 during 01-02).

It takes more than a "little effort" to get the top flight players to come to your school...even if you are KU. The recruiting of these guys is very competitive and cut-throat. Most importantly, you don't have the luxury to "miss" on anyone you offer a scholarship to....because you are expected to have top talent EVERY YEAR.

Look back, KU has not always gone to the NCAA. They had some rough stretches from the 60s through the early to mid 80s.

And ask Ted Owens about the "keeping you around" part. I believe he went to at least two Final Fours and he was fired by KU.

Again, I agree with the overall point but it is a little tougher than you are making it out to be.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
It is very interesting reading the OK State free scout boards. They seem to think they will get Self, Coach Calipari, or Bruce Pearl.:eek:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron