Bill Self Headed to the Big House?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The comparison to Penn St or Baylor is poor.

It’s much more likely and appropriate for the NCAA to punish programs for coaches cheating than it is for the NCAA to punish programs for coaches/players being convicted of criminal acts not related to the field of play.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This trial was not about Bill Self. It was about the scummy go-betweens. But the next phase will be, and now that these guys were found guilty, they will try to get them to testify against Self and others in exchange for more lenient sentences.

That's not really how our justice system works. There are those that will be pursued, and those who will not.

• Agree
Reactions: amishclone

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
f86.gif

wait, is that the same kid?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Couple thoughts on this:

Putting these shoe guys behind bars for years seems completely overblown. We have people convicted of violent crimes that spend a lot less time than that.

Self saying, "My staff and I have not and do not offer improper inducements nor are we aware of any third-party's attempt to do so" despite the fact that his assistant was on a federal wiretap talking specifically about that is just absurd. These guys are too smart to act this dumb.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If an asst coach or former asst coach at KU testifies in court that he was given direction by Self...then Self will be toast. I mean everyone knows what has and is happening but in this day and age with blue bloods u basically have to have video of Self literally handing a open bag of money over to a player...even then that might not work.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This reminds me so much of that old saying.

The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that Cleveland State is going to get the death penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not too optimistic anything will happen to Self considering that one of the all time biggest cheaters in John Calipari is still coaching. Sean Miller is still the coach at Arizona even after all the wire taps that came out about possibly paying for Deandre Ayton last year. Look at how long Pitino hung around till finally all the scum he surely knew about got exposed. It wouldn't surprise me if Roy Williams is dirty too with all the stuff that has come out about UNC over the years. So to think that Self will wind up in big trouble over this is probably wishful thinking considering the NCAA and Big 12 still has not put the hammer down on Baylor Football and that mess is WAY worse that this is with all the cover-ups of assaults that involved many players and a widespread cover up throughout the athletics administration and university and there is all kinds of evidence in that mess. There is way more evidence and widespread problems at Baylor than there was with the Penn State mess too.

I can easily see the NCAA and the conferences involved just sweeping this under the rug and using the line that it's a criminal investigation that Self and anyone else mentioned in the testimony are not charged with any wrong doings so there is nothing more for the NCAA to investigate and it's out of their jurisdiction to hand down any punishment even though it sure looks pretty obvious that amateur status of some players are in question and some big name programs and coaches were discussing payments. College sports is big time money and to put the hammer down on big time programs and coaches hurts the NCAA's image and bottom line so unfortunately I don't have much faith that much will come out of these pay for play lawsuits where all the dirty laundry gets aired out in the process.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'd love to see Cyclone Alley toss fake bills down on to the players when they leave the court.

Or throw real dollar bills. Security can't take those away from you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron