Bill Bleil new OC at Rhode Island

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
It was Bleil's decision to move on. In the middle of the year this is what I had heard. Pope and Mess were gone no matter what, they were fired, Bleil was not.

Mess was forced to add Coach K's playbook, the pistol stuff to his offense, and it didn't go so well. I heard at the Iowa vs ISU game that the playbook was way too big, and one big mess at that point. It also didn't lead to a cohesive offensive staff at ISU, and led to some bad blood. This is obvious with the Mess and Pope firings, and Bliel will be moving on of his own accord.

I am kind of surprised that Coach K might be getting the OC job. I figured that he would also be fired (didn't hear he would or anything, just kind of assumed it), as he was partially responsible for the whole situation. Maybe Rhoads sees it differently, or I just only heard one side of things. Either way if K moves into the OC spot, my one big question is why not make that move last year? Why try to make Mess run and implement someone else's offense? Clonedude has some nice posts in the other OC thread that make some sense as to why that might be.

That is basically what I know. I heard some other eye openers as well, but really aren't pertinent to this situation.

I was surprised when ChrisW had written that Coach K was getting run at the OC job, as I had not heard that at all, always assumed it was gonna be an outside hire.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Bill Bleil is not listed on cyclones.com under football coaches.

Football - Coaches - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - [url]www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports[/URL]

When i hit your link - he's shown. Either way, i think it was assumed and we should wish him the best. He's been a very good recruiter and ambassador of ISU, i hope he enjoys success at Rhoad Island.

BTW - One thing thats confusing to me regarding the staff realignments.

Based on the positions that have been let go, am i to assume that the Defensive Coaches are getting a pass based on youth or past performances? Not disagreeing or agreeing - just an observation as to why all the firings have been on the offensive side of the ball.

I truly believe this offense is really close to being very very good. The major concern is if the new offensive coordinator, new terminology, new reads will set the offense back. Our offensive problems start with the OL and end with the QB. Those two positions to me have been lacking in development since Rhoads took over. I still look at Austin Arnaud as one of the most talented QBs to ever put on an ISU jersey. In the OC changes and coach swap, his talents were wasted. I dont care who he hires, if they can coach a frickin OL and develop a QB - offensively we will be in great shape.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Based on the positions that have been let go, am i to assume that the Defensive Coaches are getting a pass based on youth or past performances? Not disagreeing or agreeing - just an observation as to why all the firings have been on the offensive side of the ball.

I think the defense is given a break since we have Wally, youth and the offense puts the defense in bad positions most of the time. JMO

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
When i hit your link - he's shown. Either way, i think it was assumed and we should wish him the best. He's been a very good recruiter and ambassador of ISU, i hope he enjoys success at Rhoad Island.

That is weird because when I looked when I posted the link he was not on there. Strange.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
It was Bleil's decision to move on. In the middle of the year this is what I had heard. Pope and Mess were gone no matter what, they were fired, Bleil was not.

I was surprised when ChrisW had written that Coach K was getting run at the OC job, as I had not heard that at all, always assumed it was gonna be an outside hire.

DAMN DEAN! You know what's up? So who we gonna start at QB this year, who is the next RB coach, and what numbers should I play in the powerball????? (But I don't really need the powerball, just get tired of the hustlin to get the cream if you know what I am spittin ha ha)

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

Interesting stuff - if you watch the WVU game over, there's a moment in the second half when we get an OL penalty not sure of the call anymore, but the camera pans to Rhoads. He's pacing the sideline steamin and walks past Coach K with this look:
Rhaods.jpg

He says something under his hand as he walks by Coach K and you can tell Coach K is steamed at the penalty and he quickly turns and they have a heated exchange. It finally looks like Rhoads pulls rank on him and puts him in his place. That was when i thought to myself i couldnt see Rhoads handing Coach K the keys to his ferrari....

Will be interested to see who it is....changes might not be done after the hiring. What if Coach Sturdy or K dont like the hire, do they resign?

K

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I ain't neva left. Sometimes SOULJAS get busy and have to handle their biz....

images

"That's his personal biz. You don't mess with a mans P Biz."

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think the defense is given a break since we have Wally, youth and the offense puts the defense in bad positions most of the time. JMO

thats a mouthful there - they definitely put the defense in some bad spots....can you say 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out - halftime.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Hey Deano - You seem to belittle ISU any chance you get. Why should anyone on here believe that you know **** about what happens within the ISU program??

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Hey Deano - You seem to belittle ISU any chance you get. Why should anyone on here believe that you know **** about what happens within the ISU program??

I don't belittle ISU coaches or players. I do belittle idiot fans (both Hawkeye and ISU fans).....big difference.

I know a lot of what goes on inside the ISU football program because of people I know, that is all. I don't think of myself as an insider or anything like that.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

I see way more people alluding to this idea that deanvogs is anti ISU, but I really haven't read a thing from him that suggests that. I realize I'm not on the forum everyday, and it's likely that I could very easily miss a lot that this guy says, however, my own observation is that he does seem to have some kind of inside info, even admitting that he's not an insider. I've just noticed some of his rumblings eventually seem to make their way down the pipeline. I'm in no way an insider either, however I do get some inside info once in a while and it's happened on more than one occasion that what vogs says, is info I had just heard as well. Not defending the guy, just sayin'.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't belittle ISU coaches or players. I do belittle idiot fans (both Hawkeye and ISU fans).....big difference.

I know a lot of what goes on inside the ISU football program because of people I know, that is all. I don't think of myself as an insider or anything like that.

To give you credit, a quick glance through your post history and it doesn't look like you rip on players. They never measure up to Hawkeye players, according to you. But you don't rip them. I will give you that.

That being said, since you make your preference for Iowa clearly known, why the **** should any of us care what you say you heard? Who would share secrets with you, an Iowa fan?