Biggest Loss...Wadley or Lazard

milldaddy

Nov 7, 2015
I don't know...my main argument was Iowa is always best when it has a bruising running back to wear down a defense, and then a shifty back (Daniels and Wadley two years ago)

Lazard is the best player to touch foot on campus in the last 10+ years for ISU. Half of your big plays seem to be jump balls to him.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
I'd lean to Wadley but Lazard will be a bigger loss than initially thought. You don't just replace the all-time reception leader. I still say Wadley.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Wasn’t Butler exploring the NFL? If the Clones lose both that would be trouble. At any rate, I’d say Wadley was the bigger loss but it’s close. Having booth Butler and Lazard was big

• Agree

milldaddy

Nov 7, 2015
Really two questions here I would bet:

1) Hoks will miss Wadley more because he is all they had this year.
2) Lazard is a more valuable player and will make much more on Sundays next year.

How so?

Honorable mention all-Big 10 QB that comes back.
Honorable mention TE.
Two freshman tackles that will only get better.
A freshman WR who looks good (For Iowa's standards, anyway)

Iowa's offense is only going to get better.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Wasn’t Butler exploring the NFL? If the Clones lose both that would be trouble. At any rate, I’d say Wadley was the bigger loss but it’s close. Having booth Butler and Lazard was big
You might be thinking of Peavy. I haven't heard any rumblings about Butler thinking of leaving.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
How so?

Honorable mention all-Big 10 QB that comes back.
Honorable mention TE.
Two freshman tackles that will only get better.
A freshman WR who looks good (For Iowa's standards, anyway)

Iowa's offense is only going to get better.

Sounds like you already have your opinion so why ask? But since you did -

Practically every team has at least 1 or 2 Honorable mention players back. Not exactly what you build on. Nothing compared to ISU having Montgomery, Butler and Eaton back on offense. If Kempt gets a red shirt they won't miss a step.

You really expose your argument when you have to go to 2 Fr tackles and a Fr WR that 'look' good and 'should' get better

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think he signed up to get an evaluation, but it seemed more like a "what have I got to work on to impress the scouts" move more than a sign he's entering the draft.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lazard is the better player but Butler is very suited to fill in his role. It's quite possible we're replacing our best #1WR ever with another guy who can be a top 5 WR in program history.

Memphis had an All American receiver in this game today who looked waaaaaaaaay less impressive than Butler and AL.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don't know...my main argument was Iowa is always best when it has a bruising running back to wear down a defense, and then a shifty back (Daniels and Wadley two years ago)

Lazard is the best player to touch foot on campus in the last 10+ years for ISU. Half of your big plays seem to be jump balls to him.
Without Montgomery running the ball, Lazard doesn't get as many opportunities for catches. And in addition to Lazard's 140something yards, Butler had 100+ yards for the game today. He's important, no doubt. But it's a team effort.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If ISU doesn't find a better answer at QB than KK, Lazard for sure. Guy caught 10 passes and I would guess 5 were on target. Butler is talented, but he had 3 or 4 today that he didn't catch that Lazard would have.

Not a slam on KK, but he was not very good today, and got bailed out a lot. Guy did some great stuff for ISU this year. Maybe he is still a little hurt, but his passes today were mostly wounded ducks.

• Disagree

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I believe Lazard is the bigger loss. I mean the guy has to be your all time leading WR in every major category right? He has made so many big catches for ISU over the past 4 seasons. Teams will be able to focus much more on Butler than they could this year with having to respect Lazard as well.

Iowa should be just fine at RB with Ivory Kelly-Martin and Toren Young returning. Iowa didn't use Wadley nearly as much in the passing game this season as I would have liked so that won't be as big of a loss as it could have been.

I can see it either way though, and both players will definitely be big losses, and both will be playing on Sundays.

Congrats on the win today!

Reactions: TruClone

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
If ISU doesn't find a better answer at QB than KK, Lazard for sure. Guy caught 10 passes and I would guess 5 were on target. Butler is talented, but he had 3 or 4 today that he didn't catch that Lazard would have.

Not a slam on KK, but he was not very good today, and got bailed out a lot. Guy did some great stuff for ISU this year. Maybe he is still a little hurt, but his passes today were mostly wounded ducks.

Is the QB for sure getting another year? Looking at Butlers quotes the poster above was absolutely correct, seems like he just put in his name so that he can get an idea from those scouts of what he needs to work on.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

The wind and cold were miserable. Neither qb was great today.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

Help Support Us

Become a patron