Big XII Bowl Results

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Is there any bowl where the big ten opponent is ranked higher than the big ten team?

Part of the problem in making the comparison is that all teams schedules are not equal, so there's a lot of subjectivity in judging the quality of a team based on their record.

It's been a long time since I've reviewed the Big 10 bowl slate, but it seemed to me that a few years ago their picks worked in such a way that they were provided favorable match-ups most of the time.

When your conference doesn't get a team in the playoff this effect is magnified when the bowl slate has match-ups with conferences that do, as your best teams fill lower slots. The Big 12 has benefited from this in the past.

I really wish bowl games would drop conference tie ins altogether and go to a match-up draft where the bowl selection committees choose games in order of how much they are willing to distribute as payout. I think you'd get better games, more interest on the TV side, and maybe better fan travel through a diversity of options. I think you would also find that some of the bottom tier bowls would go by the wayside--there's too many as it is--and bowl payouts would increase over time.

Doing this would really put a greater emphasis on improving the quality of the games which is what it really should be all about.

Reactions: r06b

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
Part of the problem in making the comparison is that all teams schedules are not equal, so there's a lot of subjectivity in judging the quality of a team based on their record.

It's been a long time since I've reviewed the Big 10 bowl slate, but it seemed to me that a few years ago their picks worked in such a way that they were provided favorable match-ups most of the time.

When your conference doesn't get a team in the playoff this effect is magnified when the bowl slate has match-ups with conferences that do, as your best teams fill lower slots. The Big 12 has benefited from this in the past.

I really wish bowl games would drop conference tie ins altogether and go to a match-up draft where the bowl selection committees choose games in order of how much they are willing to distribute as payout. I think you'd get better games, more interest on the TV side, and maybe better fan travel through a diversity of options. I think you would also find that some of the bottom tier bowls would go by the wayside--there's too many as it is--and bowl payouts would increase over time.

Doing this would really put a greater emphasis on improving the quality of the games which is what it really should be all about.

I like the idea of dropping the tie ins. But I say keep the lower tier bowls. If some of the lower tier bowls would be dropped there would be no guarantee of making a bowl at 6-6, plus this would disproportianely hurt the smaller conferences. I don't have a problem with the lower tier bowls at all, I watch some. But if you don't like them, then don't watch them.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Funny thing, if the Cocks beat Michigan and OU wins out, Big 12 will have had the best bowl season out of all the conferences. Yes, I realize the Big 12 will have one more loss but they will also have the National Champ.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One thing besides them not having a playoff team they have 8/14 teams. We have 8/10 teams. So we have a lot lower teams playing.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

It's actually almost always the opposite in terms of on-field matchups. The B10 is almost always slotted up into bigger bowls due to the size of their fan bases and TV draws, see how a typical 8-4 Iowa team ususally ends up in a New Year's day bowl. The B10 almost always had two teams selected for BCS bowls, and thus everybody gets bumped up a spot. The B10 almost always has tough bowl matchups and their bowl record usually refelects that. This year it's the opposite, due to not getting a playoff team every matchup is slightly shifted toward the B10's favor and thus a big reason why they are undefeated, which is still hard to do no matter what the matchups are.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's actually almost always the opposite in terms of on-field matchups. The B10 is almost always slotted up into bigger bowls due to the size of their fan bases and TV draws, see how a typical 8-4 Iowa team ususally ends up in a New Year's day bowl. The B10 almost always had two teams selected for BCS bowls, and thus everybody gets bumped up a spot. The B10 almost always has tough bowl matchups and their bowl record usually refelects that. This year it's the opposite, due to not getting a playoff team every matchup is slightly shifted toward the B10's favor and thus a big reason why they are undefeated, which is still hard to do no matter what the matchups are.

Now that they are shut out of the playoff and dodging the big teams they're on fire.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Funny thing, if the Cocks beat Michigan and OU wins out, Big 12 will have had the best bowl season out of all the conferences. Yes, I realize the Big 12 will have one more loss but they will also have the National Champ.
I guess we need the real USC to win this in order not to have to listen to the insufferable Big Ten boasting of an undefeated bowl season for the next 8 months. ... So how do they say it down there in the Palmetto state? Hook 'em, Cocks?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I’m fine with B1G success in bowls no matter the reasons. So long as the SEC s-u-c-k-s as well as the PAC & ACC. If either of those other conferences were crushing it that would be all everyone hears. Since B1G & Big XII looking dominant, cricketts

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I guess we need the real USC to win this in order not to have to listen to the insufferable Big Ten boasting of an undefeated bowl season for the next 8 months. ... So how do they say it down there in the Palmetto state? Hook 'em, Cocks?

Sounds painful.

• Funny
Reactions: cycophagus

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
B10 has been pretty impressive in the bowl season no matter how you slice it. The Big 12 has done pretty well for itself too. Pac 10 has looked done pretty poorly in general. As pointed out above a lot (4) of the Big 10 wins have come against the Pac 10.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Seems the only conclusions are that the PAC sucks and the BIG is better than forecast. The Big12 performed pretty much as expected as did the other leagues. OU losing out is the berries. And ratings for the CFP championship are going to disappoint ESPN. Watching another SEC playoff is going to entertain Dixie but little else.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I’m fine with B1G success in bowls no matter the reasons. So long as the SEC s-u-c-k-s as well as the PAC & ACC. If either of those other conferences were crushing it that would be all everyone hears. Since B1G & Big XII looking dominant, cricketts

The PAC has to be about ready to hit the panic button. Revenue is falling behind and now the product on the field is a disaster.

• Agree
Reactions: BigLame

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
The PAC has to be about ready to hit the panic button. Revenue is falling behind and now the product on the field is a disaster.
Look to have weaknesses across the board in quality coaches & then physicality. While Stanford has both, they could not match the scheme & speed of TCU. Ohio St manhandled USC as did Mich St to Wazzu. Spread, Air-raids, etc have been in vogue for a while but it looks like more physical teams are winning more. Ebb & flow of strategies, etc

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
B10 has been pretty impressive in the bowl season no matter how you slice it. The Big 12 has done pretty well for itself too. Pac 10 has looked done pretty poorly in general. As pointed out above a lot (4) of the Big 10 wins have come against the Pac 10.
Only 2 conferences had 50% of their teams win a bowl game. I don't care about record or losses. It is relative to size of conference and how many you got in. Both Big 12 and B1G had half of their teams get a bowl win. If the Big 12 hadn't had a team in the playoffs pretty sure our number would be even higher. I'd say B12 represented well.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Only 2 conferences had 50% of their teams win a bowl game. I don't care about record or losses. It is relative to size of conference and how many you got in. Both Big 12 and B1G had half of their teams get a bowl win. If the Big 12 hadn't had a team in the playoffs pretty sure our number would be even higher. I'd say B12 represented well.

I looked at it this way: The B1G was favored in 6 of their 8 bowls and they won 7, so they slightly outperformed expectations. The Big 12 was favored in 2 of their 8 bowls and they won 5, so they outperformed expectations considerably better compared to other conferences. I think we (meaning fans of all Big 12 teams) all can live with that!

Reactions: awd4cy and cygrads