Big Ten versus Big 12

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The official RPI site that comes out every Monday has them at #49. It probably won't change much going into Selection Sunday with a win over Northwestern and a loss to Mich State

NCAA Men's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com

19 D1 wins, no big non-conf wins, and a #49 RPI is definitely not a better resume than Baylor or OK State even if both of them lose their first B12 tournament games.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
19 D1 wins, no big non-conf wins, and a #49 RPI is definitely not a better resume than Baylor or OK State even if both of them lose their first B12 tournament games.

Yeah, don't know how you could argue that when Baylor's RPI is #34 and OK State is #40

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I had been using rpiforecast.com all year but I see the espn articles are starting to use the one on their site and since there aren't really any major games for a while I used that.

Regardless Iowa's rpi is going to be below OK State and Baylor's and their non-conf is drastically less impressive. Iowa is the only 19 win team with a sub 40 RPI I can ever remember being so frequently mentioned as a lock. I agree they're probably in, but if they lose to NW there are teams with their resume left out almost every year.

On College Gameday in Stillwater prior to the Okie State - Kansas game they were doing blind comparisons with Okie State's resume against other schools they didn't initially show by name. The first blind comparison team had a 19-9 record with similar BPI and SOS numbers. They each had 3 wins against the RPI top 50 at the time as well and every single guy on the show including Jay Bilas picked Okie State over them on who should get in the tournament. That 19-9 team (at the time) was Iowa.

Bilas was left backpedaling so hard because only a few weeks prior he had declared Iowa a "contender" to reach the Final Four and now he was picking the 8th place team in the Big XII over them purely based on resume.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
On College Gameday in Stillwater prior to the Okie State - Kansas game they were doing blind comparisons with Okie State's resume against other schools they didn't initially show by name. The first blind comparison team had a 19-9 record with similar BPI and SOS numbers. They each had 3 wins against the RPI top 50 at the time as well and every single guy on the show including Jay Bilas picked Okie State over them on who should get in the tournament. That 19-9 team (at the time) was Iowa.

Bilas was left backpedaling so hard because only a few weeks prior he had declared Iowa a "contender" to reach the Final Four and now he was picking the 8th place team in the Big XII over them purely based on resume.

People who don't think the AP, coaches polls, and even things like KenPom steer the conversation are kind of in denial. Iowa is considered a lock and an 8/9 seed after crapping the bed because they were ranked most of the year and had a high kenpom rating that a lot of AP voters base their votes on according to their blogs. Their actual resume is a good-side-of-the-bubble resume and clearly inferior to every Big 12 ncaa team except maybe KSU or WVU should they get hot and get in.

We had a better resume then Iowa does now two years ago and it took us until the very end of the season for these bracketology types to finally all put us in. At least the program is now past that stage of people doubting ISU for no reason.