Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think part of the problem is that outside of Iowa, people don't look at Neb, Mizzou or any other decent school as being inferior to ISU academically. So you could pick up ISU, but most people think Neb, Mizzou, Rutgers etc give you everyting on the academic side that ISU does plus you get the TV's.

Seriously guys, my in laws are huge Michigan State fans, they were not aware ISU was even in a major conference or was any bigger than say Butler before I came along, and they played them in the elite 8. In Chicago people have no clue either, people really think Wyoming and ISU are about the same size. People are just not aware of how large and important ISU is outside of this state. We suffer from a major lack of identity outside of Iowa.

That's not entirely true. When I visited the Detroit metro area last month, some of the hotel workers recognized my ISU gear and struck up a conversation with me, commenting about how they thought ISU might have a good shot and would be a good fit for the conference if they joined the Big 10.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
One thing that does make Iowa State appealing is the fact we have a DOE research facility and are doing a lot in Biorenewable Energy research. There's going to be a lot of money spent in that area.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
My only hope in this is the way JP and GG have done business in the past - we heard zero rumblings about the CPR and FH hires. I know you've heard the expression "loose lips sink ships" - it might be the very reason why Missouri, last week being the obvious choice for the Big 10, might be sitting on the outside looking in at the moment, as they allowed this to become VERY public, which turned a gigantic spotlight onto the Big 10 when they were trying to do this quietly.

This crossed my mind as well and if we did in fact have the possibility of an invite to the BigTen, I'd expect nothing less from our administration. The only thing that bothers me is that ISU released a letter in support of staying in the BigXII. That right there says a lot about the reality of our situation. I totally get what you are saying though, jdoggivjc.

/fingers crossed

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This crossed my mind as well and if we did in fact have the possibility of an invite to the BigTen, I'd expect nothing less from our administration. The only thing that bothers me is that ISU released a letter in support of staying in the BigXII. That right there says a lot about the reality of our situation. I totally get what you are saying though, jdoggivjc.

/fingers crossed

The Big 12 is in no way loyal to Iowa State. There is no reason that Iowa State should be loyal to the Big 12. Just my opinion.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

/fingers crossed

I'm hoping it's similar to a situation I had a couple years ago. I got interviews with 3 or 4 different places and eventually got an offer from one. Here is the relevant comparison: One of the places that didn't offer me did call me to say, "Hey, we can't really offer you a job right now because we feel we need to pursue other plans. If you have another option, you should probably take it. However, we do like you, if come graduation you are not having any luck, give us another call, we'll see what we can do."

In that scenario, if forcing ND is plan A, then I'm sure the Big Ten guys we've been in contact with would have told us to not burn any Big XII bridges and try to make our current conference work. However, if everything went to hell and we're homeless and the Big Ten is going to 16, maybe they'd be able to find a home for us.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I'm hoping it's similar to a situation I had a couple years ago. I got interviews with 3 or 4 different places and eventually got an offer from one. Here is the relevant comparison: One of the places that didn't offer me did call me to say, "Hey, we can't really offer you a job right now because we feel we need to pursue other plans. If you have another option, you should probably take it. However, we do like you, if come graduation you are not having any luck, give us another call, we'll see what we can do."

In that scenario, if forcing ND is plan A, then I'm sure the Big Ten guys we've been in contact with would have told us to not burn any Big XII bridges and try to make our current conference work. However, if everything went to hell and we're homeless and the Big Ten is going to 16, maybe they'd be able to find a home for us.

I think this is something to hope for and is at least a possibility.

...tic-toc, tic-toc, tic-toc, ...

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Unfortunately, in the end I believe Big 10 Commisioner, Jim Delaney and the Big 10 Presidents will most likely just rubber stamp the recommendation of the outside consulting firm (William Blair & Company, out of Chicago). The consulting firm consists of mostly investment bankers and it will come down to monetary issues only. Although odds are slim no matter what, we are better off hoping for a political intervention or an Act of God.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No way the BigTen takes on K-State. I think it's really intriguing how these universities across the country are now having the spotlight shined in their faces in concerns to their academic prowess. K-State for example, is allowed to sit comfortably in it's 100-year-old conference, chugging along, obviously not too overly concerned about being an academic powerhouse. But now all in a sudden I bet they wish they were more diligent about research, grants, federal money etc.

It's like a kid that cruised through high school for three years and then realized you actually need good grades to get into a decent college.

That being said, for ISU, it might have been all for not...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

/fingers crossed

I absolutely get what you're saying on the letter. I've admitted this is likely all wishful thinking on my part. All I'm saying is it would be ISU's style to deny, deny, tell ISU fans there's no chance, deny, deny, publicly release a letter that says ISU supports the Big 12, deny, deny, deny, co-host a press conference with the Big 10 announcing ISU's application to the Big 10 has been accepted - especially since JP and GG have taken over.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I absolutely get what you're saying on the letter. I've admitted this is likely all wishful thinking on my part. All I'm saying is it would be ISU's style to deny, deny, tell ISU fans there's no chance, deny, deny, publicly release a letter that says ISU supports the Big 12, deny, deny, deny, co-host a press conference with the Big 10 announcing ISU's application to the Big 10 has been accepted - especially since JP and GG have taken over.

That would be legendary in the Pantheon of college athletics if it were to come true. Hell, Pollard could jump to any job in the nation if he could pull that out of his hat.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That would be legendary in the Pantheon of college athletics if it were to come true. Hell, Pollard could jump to any job in the nation if he could pull that out of his hat.

Ironically enough, I think JP would be too busy calling contractors to build the south end zone bowl to be taking phone calls...

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
It would be a hard sell. The Big 10 would have to tell the other members they are going to let ISU in and every school is going to get less money because of it. I think if ISU had a chance their name would have popped up somewhere in all these articles written on this subject. The best bet is the Big 12 stays together by adding teams if they lose a couple.

Last edited:

fanaticman

Sep 21, 2009
why does the big ten have to become 16? Does anyone seeing the possibilty of NE and Mizzu going and then Iowa State being picked up as well to make it a 14 team conference with the possibility of going 16 in the future? In this senario notre dame wouldnt play a factor.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
They are going to pick schools that will help their TV deal. It all comes down to TV's and Football. If you can't provide an increase in their footprint or a very marketable football program then they aren't going to bring you in. They split the revenue and adding another school that doesn't increase their TV footprint or have a marketable football program means they will get less because they now divide it more ways. It's a sad state, but this is the future and it seems to be moving forward a lot quicker than I thought it would.

Last edited: